Smooth As Glass Paper...

I know many like the feel of toothy paper, but if one was looking for the smoothest fountain pen friendly paper... which brand would be ideal?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sapias99

• pennylink

• DrDebG

• nibtip

I don't have a huge amount of paper experience, except of the dubious 'is my pen supposed to lay a line that thick...why is it bleeding through the page?' variety.

But, having said that, the smoothest paper I've found so far is HP ColorChoice 120gsm laser printer paper with the 100gsm coming a close second.

They are heavyweight, so you wouldn't want to carry a book of the stuff around with you for very long.

Rhodia 80gsm and Clairefontaine 'Triomphe' 90gsm papers are also excellent, but the coating on them feels almost 'sticky' with some nibs I've tried. Not scratchy in the slightest but the coating seems to increase drag/resistance on certain pens...mileage may vary.

Edited by Sui-Generis

Arguing with people on the Internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon will just knock the pieces over, s**t on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

I would say the smoothest is Clairfontaine paper.

Tomoe River paper is also very smooth and takes fountain pen ink very well. But with the 52 gsm (which I love) there is some showthrough especially with darker inks.

Midori MD is also very smooth, but not as smooth as the Clairfontaine.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

A4 sheet - Viking IQ Selection Smooth 100gsm

Notebooks - As mentioned above, plus Life.

For Tomoe River - Nanami Paper 52gsm, and Taroko for 68gsm

-

Add lightness and simplicate.

I don't have a huge amount of paper experience, except of the dubious 'is my pen supposed to lay a line that thick...why is it bleeding through the page?' variety.

But, having said that, the smoothest paper I've found so far is HP ColorChoice 120gsm laser printer paper with the 100gsm coming a close second.

:lticaptd:

Interesting, I might give that a try! I'm thinking of making my own notebooks as I cant find anything I'm really happy with.

Edited by sapias99

I

Clairefontaine for sure.

Clairefontaine notebooks.

I'm seeing this a lot, will have to try them. TY

Edited by sapias99

Clairefontaine, Rhodia, HP LJ 32 lbs.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Based on my just-completed, highly-unscientific series of finger- and hand-rubbing-on-paper exercises: Apica Premium CD is the smoothest by a whisker; tied for second place—Clairefontaine, Rhodia Premium, LIFE Noble, and Maruman Mnemosyne. 32 lb HP Premium Choice is a whisker behind these. Cheers.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

So I got Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Tomo, Original Crown Mill Classic and out of these... Tomo is noticeably smoother than runner up Clairefontaine.

• 4 weeks later...

For the month of April, I used a Clairfontaine Essentials notebook for my journal/workbook. I had not used one of these notebooks before. The two pens that I was mainly using was a MB Boheme with an OB nib and a Franklin Christoph Panther 30 with cursive italic. I was excited to try this journal for the first time.

But in all honesty, I was horribly disappointed. Writing was like trying to slog through a swamp everyday. The coating on the paper made it seem as though the pen was dragging.

At the end of month, I still had a dozen or so pages left, but I gave it up.

I am now back to my Tomoe River paper for my journal (Seven Seas Standard notebook) and a Letterbox notebook for work related items. Much, much better.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

In Europe:

SMLT Calligraphy & Lettering Pad

Navigator 120gsm Colour Documents Paper Ultra Smooth

I embarrassingly have not tried Clairefontaine/Rhodia, but I'd be curious to know what others think of the above.

I am a Clairefontaine user - every day. Mainly essentials in A5 and A4 in gfeller covers, plus two other A5s in Muji denim tag, plus their small notebooks for shirt pocket or to tuck in a man bag. Cannot fault the paper. My main writers are a couple of Lamy Safari/Al Stars fine, Parker 51fine and a couple of Parker duofolds F and itallic. The paper is silky smooth and a delight to write on - absolute perfect for me. Huge fan now for more than 10 years and the paper is beautifully consistent. My nibs are on the wet side - I use a sheet of blotter as a book mark so drying is not an issue.

I also use Apica and love them, and Tomoe River although the showthrough annoys me after a while so my use of this limited.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Having used all of the above, I’d have to say the 52gsm, cream Tomoe River is the smoothest, although Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Noble Life and Apica are also very smooth.

Apica Premium CD is the smoothest i've used. It's too smooth for me; i like a little texture