Packard: They Made Pens Too?

eharriett

Today I was at my local flea and I found an oddity. The name lost me at first, but because I thought it was a beautiful celluloid, I had to go back to it, and that's when the name rang a bell.

The nib is labeled "Curvex" and the clip is "Packard." That's the only clues from this pen.

So, being a Studebaker fan, and the fact that I'm less than 150 miles away from the old Packard manufacturing works, I have to ask: does anyone know if this pen has a connection to the Packard Motor Co.?

Opening it up, some damn fool jammed a J-Bar up it, or the J-Bar is somehow jammed in it. I think someone did try a repair, but there are bits of Latex sac glued inside it and the part that would have been on the section had already been removed. Unjamming that J-bar may be beyond my means so it might have to be sent out. But otherwise, it looks like it will one day be a beautiful writer.

VU6nbwl.jpg

3bzrcGi.jpg

Agl8Va9.jpg

VnxZcSa.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• pen2paper

• gregamckinney

• seattlec257

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge, there is no relationship between the pen and the car. Packard pens are often beautiful 3rd tier pens, but can be very nice. IIRC, there was a thread about them here. May be searchable.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• 1 year later...

I've just received a similar looking Packard from a woman who thought she was selling me a Parker...I've let her know of the error and am now researching Packard FP's a bit and came across your post. "Mine" has an intact sac in probably good condition, is a brown swirled pattern with a cheap-ish lever and band trim on the cap. Really has the appearance of a cheap FP from the 50s, maybe. If I find anything else out about it, because it looks quite similar to yours, I'll post back here.

I really like the look of mine. I actually have a Visconti that looks a bit like it. Mine is out with RonZ right now to hopefully get rid of the barrel bulge in it.

Interesting. If it was The auto related, gold plated would be chauffeur’s pen.

The proving grounds are worth a visit. Esp Kahn’s office to see why no overhead wires. :-)

I've never been to the proving grounds. I have been interested in going for awhile. I have been to the Packard museum -- not far from me. The elegance and austerity is incredible.

I've never been to the proving grounds. I have been interested in going for awhile. I have been to the Packard museum -- not far from me. The elegance and austerity is incredible.

Do inquire in advance as historian led tour includes interiors & rich history.

If gates open enjoy the replanted tree lined blvd & self tour plaques.

At the far end is just a remnant of the track.

Seeing gate open about a year ago, discovered historical society of MI (am a member) was having a tour event, but all away on lunch break. Historian generously invited me to join another couple to tour the house in renovation, also Kahn’s office where he could oversee building site.

The property is peaceful dignified compact, not vast-huge like Rouge, or requiring time like The Henry/GFV.

Ford’s Piquette is another small site. During annual Dream Cruise classic Ford’s gather & parade out from Piquette. The former Chrysler Museum was wonderful.. beautifully conceived exhibits - it’s closing a huge loss.