The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Monteverde Fire Opal - Nib Crud Again

monteverde fire opal monteverde gemstone inks nib crud ancient copper

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KLscribbler

KLscribbler

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 20:40

Recently, I got myself a bottle of Monteverde Fire Opal - because I liked the colour, but also because I hoped that it might finally prove to be that rare ink in this particular colour range to be free of nib crud issues.

Alas, I have now found that it suffers from the same sort of nib crud that users of similar-coloured inks like Diamine Ancient Copper will be familiar with. When used in pens with a less-than-perfect cap seal, the usual frothy crud builds up. The same happens during long writing sessions - crud gradually builds up along the length of the nib slit and the nib-section and nib-feed interfaces, and needs to be wiped off every now and then.

After having owned and used three inks from different manufacturers in this colour range - Diamine Ancient Copper, Private Reserve Orange Crush, and now Monteverde Fire Opal - and having experienced nib crud issues with all of them, I have now resigned myself to the understanding that, so long as I am using a rusty/coppery-coloured ink of this particular type, there shall be no escaping nib crud.   :mellow:  

It's just a cosmetic and convenience issue, but still rather annoying.

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

中澳美皆無關痛癢

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,016 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 20:58

... a rusty/coppery-coloured ink of this particular type...

Hmmm, how about J.Herbin Rouille d'Ancre? (No, I haven't tried it yet myself.)
As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#3 KLscribbler

KLscribbler

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 21:14

Rouille d'Ancre - I have a 10ml bottle of it and quite like the colour. No nib crud with that one, but it's also a pretty different colour from Fire Opal / Ancient Copper / etc.

I don't think it really falls into the "rust coloured" category, it has a lot more pink tones than any other rust-coloured ink; I tend rather to consider it a dusty pink ink. It's a really unique shade.

But nope, not a good substitute for Ancient Copper or similar, colour-wise.

#4 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

中澳美皆無關痛癢

• 4,016 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 22:28

I was merely going by the name of the ink, which is literally Anchor Rust, and not the hue or chroma of the colour or how ferric it looks.
As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#5 ScarletWoodland

ScarletWoodland

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 23:06

I had no cruddy problems with Monteverde Copper Noir across a week in various pens (with average at best cap seals). I'm not sure what others' experiences have been like mind you.

#6 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 00:21

Not sure if it's still available but I've never had ink crud with KWZ Monarch.

#7 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• 3,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 00:25

Robert Oster Copper - no nib crud - also a lot less orange - more copper colored.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#8 KLscribbler

KLscribbler

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 14:56

In my most recent round of ink purchases, I spent a lot of time deliberating between Fire Opal, Copper Noir, and Diamine Blood Orange, eventually deciding upon the former. Perhaps my next ink purchase should include the other two - hopefully one of them will turn out not have crud issues.

KWZ Monarch looks beautiful; I was not aware of that ink before, might get some once my stock of rusty-coloured inks falls below the "do you really need so many similar inks" guilt threshold. Robert Oster Copper's a little too pink for me. I don't typically go for inks with that much pink in them, Herbin Rouille d'Ancre being the sole exception to date.

(Gosh, you people are evil - one can hardly ruminate a little on an issue on FPN before one's future shopping list mysteriously grows by several items... 'tis Financial Perdition Network indeed. :lol: )

TBH this whole nib crud business has led me to wonder why inks in this colour range are so prone to the problem. It's certainly not an issue with any specific manufacturer, as I've experienced similar crud issues with inks from three companies. The most likely explanation would be that it's caused by the dyes used in these inks - most likely certain yellow, orange, or red dyes. Perhaps the offending dyes have surface tension altering properties that cause fluids to more readily form micro-bubbles at points of evaporation? After all, when inspected closely, the crud seems to be nothing more than a dense foam, which thickens as evaporation progresses.

(If the same crud formation happened in, say, a bubblegum pink or purple ink, it could even become a feature, lol. Could be called "Signature Cotton Candy Ink" or some such.  :rolleyes:  )

#9 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

中澳美皆無關痛癢

• 4,016 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 15:10

Given the very wide range of Sailor-manufactured ink colours, have you identified one (irrespective of branding, whether it's a shop-exclusive or otherwise) that is in the rusty/copper colour range in which you're interested, so that you can test whether it also exhibits the crud issue?

#10 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 16:00

My understanding is that nib "crud" can be attributed to a combination nib creep and a pen that does not seal when closed, in combination with certain saturated inks, Redish/Brownish/Coppery in particular.

From Mr Binder: Nib Creep. The spontaneous accumulation of ink on the top surface of a nib; the ink is said to “creep” up out of the slit. Some inks are more prone to creep than others, but the root cause of the phenomenon is a nib slit that is either damaged or manufactured with insufficient attention to finishing; nicks, scratches, etc., can create a capillary path across the edge between the slit wall and the top surface. (Shown below is an 18K nib whose slit was left rough after being sawn.) Platinum-plated nibs are more prone to nib creep than are unplated nibs because platinum is more wettable than gold.

So if you wish to use Ancient Copper/Copper Noir/Fire Opal and so on, you'll need to use a pen that seals and/or a different nib. Either that or accept it and continue to wipe the nib as required.

I and many others use these inks without crud issues. Don't give up!

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#11 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:09

No confined to just oranges, I had crud issues with Oxblood, too.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#12 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2019 - 16:05

The Copper Noir from Monteverde and LE Copper from Lamy are both inks that don't seem to cause the typical orange ink crud.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monteverde, fire opal, monteverde gemstone inks, nib crud, ancient copper

Sponsored Content

|