Wondering Why Edson Is So Scarce

yongsheng

I've been eying for Waterman Edson for quite a few time (and save up money) but there are so few of them on the market! A nos easily costs over $1000. It's really hard to believe that Edson just discontinued in 2015. It makes me wonder why Waterman chose to discontinue such a successful type.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• wspohn

• torstar

• yongsheng

An Edson writes like you are holding a nail, it gets into my rotation for half the year.

A decade ago a huge big-box business supply store near the office had one on display with the rest of the cheaper pens, I guess they got it by mistake in a shipment or got talked into taking it on.

They kept reducing the price on it, until it was close to being worth it to get a second one... but alas, the store moved before I pounced...

They kept reducing the price on it, until it was close to being worth it to get a second one... but alas, the store moved before I pounced...

Damn... you snooze, you lose. biggrin.png

My favourite is the Edson Boucheron, definitely an eye catching statement pen.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

One of my few pens I prefer not to take out if the house - that 18K gold trim is pretty soft and dropping that pen could ruin your whole day! Sure do look purty though!

s-l300.jpg

Edited by wspohn

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Damn... you snooze, you lose. biggrin.png

I think it was down to $500 Canadian at one point, it was there for awhile, nice blue one.

The details are getting hazy, I wrote about the situation years ago a few times on here....

I think it was down to $500 Canadian at one point, it was there for awhile, nice blue one.

The details are getting hazy, I wrote about the situation years ago a few times on here....

Those days are gone but the hunt continues.

You snooze, you lose and I was definitely asleep. headsmack.gif

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I bought a used green off a friend 20 years ago, still writes fine for me.

Buying the second one was never a serious thought, but if it had gone below $300 I might have pounced.

I wouldn't expect any issues, if looked after. Glad you are still enjoying it. thumbup.gif

Engineer :

And I'm forced to pay the newcomer penalty :(

And I'm forced to pay the newcomer penalty sad.png

'Wait and watch' is your best weapon but for instant gratification, the penalty is inevitable unless you get really lucky. smile.png

Engineer :

• 3 weeks later...

The pen looks lovely. The emerald and ruby versions were available recently from my local antiques (in a near mint condition), appx. $450 each, I did a dip test. While I like the appearance I still prefer a simple but classic Man 100, both in terms of appearance and the nib.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Ah, Serenité. A lovely pen.

Well out of my budget, but indeed a pen I like, along with the Liaison.

I wonder why they discontinued those models?

Maybe the Edson went down in favour of the Carené, but the other two?

Yes, there was nothing closely equivalent to the Serenite, but like the Edson, it was quite expensive so sold in smaller numbers.

Avoid the first version in black as they had some minor problems with it that were all solved a bit later - addition of a metal seat for the clipe when posting prevented marring the finish etc. I have the blue, which to me looks way better anyway.

The style is one that you either love or hate - not many people in between the extremes.

waterman-serenite-blue-fountain-pen-s061

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

The Edson and the Serenity are not so common pens in the secondary market. Both are had particular designs ,the Serenity more that the Edson.Both were expensive and therefore sold in not big numbers. The Edson is a big pen if you compare it with the Serenity,which has a Zen feeling.Imo both will be more look after by collectors in the medium term. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

An Emerald appeared on the bay a day or so back at a low BIN price. It was in very unkempt condition especially the fine nib which perhaps to the uninitiated looked OK.but to me, having owned 3, it looked bent down very very slightly. These are not pens to be purchased lightly s/h without some background of their history because they can be very expensive to repair, if at all. IMHO they have to go to Waterman who I believe do not disassemble but replace complete sections. The one that appeared either sold quickly or was removed.

The Edson and the Serenity are not so common pens in the secondary market. Both are had particular designs ,the Serenity more that the Edson.Both were expensive and therefore sold in not big numbers. The Edson is a big pen if you compare it with the Serenity,which has a Zen feeling.Imo both will be more look after by collectors in the medium term. ;)

i assume a Zen feeling is the opposite of the "writing with a nail" feeling of the Edson

Saw it, agree with you, and needed too much cosmetic work

An Emerald appeared on the bay a day or so back at a low BIN price. It was in very unkempt condition especially the fine nib which perhaps to the uninitiated looked OK.but to me, having owned 3, it looked bent down very very slightly. These are not pens to be purchased lightly s/h without some background of their history because they can be very expensive to repair, if at all. IMHO they have to go to Waterman who I believe do not disassemble but replace complete sections. The one that appeared either sold quickly or was removed.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!