why do people change nibs? do they not last long?

penwala

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penwala

• FrankB

• Ghost Plane

• sleek_lover

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curious....are these nibs (expensive ones) not durable? Why do people change nibs?

Nope...in fact, nibs, for the most part, if cared for, tend to be very durable.  Like most things, folks want to "tune" a very personal object to their own specs.  

One of the reasons I like Esties.  Easy to do and inexpensive.

Bill

Just curious....are these nibs (expensive ones) not durable? Why do people change nibs?

Nope...in fact, nibs, for the most part, if cared for, tend to be very durable. Like most things, folks want to "tune" a very personal object to their own specs.

One of the reasons I like Esties. Easy to do and inexpensive.

Bill

what is an esties?

Hi Penwala,

An Estie is an Esterbrook, these pens like several others have nibs that are fitted into a collar that screws in to the section, the Esterbrooks big advantage is that you can get a range of different nibs to suit most handwriting styles or preferences at a sensible cost, I think when they were still being made they were from 25 to 85 cents depending on whether you wanted the run of the mill everyday school pen type untipped nib 1xxx. 2xxx. 3xxx or the seriously good writing and more expensive 'iridium' tipped 8xxx & 9xxx series nib. they cost rather more than that these days but they are still cheaper than many others.

cheers, John

I've had nibs adjusted (not exchanged) to other widths and characteristics: italic and stub. I haven't heard of anyone replacing a worn nib (unless it was a very old, damaged one). Even then, there folks around (referred to as "nibmeisters") that can take care of those as well.

Keep reading this 'site, lots to learn (know that I have!).

My best,

-P

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Of course, instead of changing nibs (and that is a big plus factor for the Esterbrooks which I really like), some of us just buy new pens! What a great excuse to add to the collection. That's another way to get the experience of writing with different nibs. I've found a good cursive italic nib, or a stub nib can be a very transporting experience. :cloud9:

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

Nibs will out last you if they are not mistreated.

I buy pens for the most part with broad nibs, then they are made into stub or italic. I prefer line variation over great gobs of ink.

If a pen is available with a stub or italic I will buy that, but I find most need some fine tuning.

Of course you could buy the pen from a Nib Master, Mr. Binder for instance, and you are good to go.

Remember, as Kudzu said, it is always good to have a reason to buy another pen.

Edited by jd50ae

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

I, on the other hand, love great gobs of ink, so I buy the B nibs that jd leaves behind and just write with them. :D

I frequently joke that many of the pens I bought new are now vintage. I have pens and nibs that are 30- to 40-years old and they are doing jusrtfine. But, like many of the others, I change out nibs to get a nib style that I prefer. I am another italic/stub junkie, and I will often have a nib modified or I will exchange a standard nib for an italic if they are offered by the manufacturer. My nib changes have nothing to do with the quality of the nibs themselves.

By the way, Esterbrooks are a really good, cost effective way to experince a variety of nibs. I like Esties a lot.

I frequently joke that many of the pens I bought new are now vintage. I have pens and nibs that are 30- to 40-years old and they are doing jusrtfine. But, like many of the others, I change out nibs to get a nib style that I prefer. I am another italic/stub junkie, and I will often have a nib modified or I will exchange a standard nib for an italic if they are offered by the manufacturer. My nib changes have nothing to do with the quality of the nibs themselves.

By the way, Esterbrooks are a really good, cost effective way to experince a variety of nibs. I like Esties a lot.

Is it easier to change the nib on an Esterbrooks that it would be on a Pelikan?

What's the difference between a cursive italic and an oblique?

Does a stub have any flex to it?

Thanks!

PS: Richard writes: "Most modern obliques are ordinary round nibs, not designed to produce line variation."

I don't find any clue here about what the oblique is for. It doesn't seem to have anything to recommend it.

post-7167-1182555439_thumb.png

This is the MB oblique and from their sample it seems to vary line width.

Edited by Tharmas

"When gold and gems adorn the plough. To peaceful arts shall Envy bow." Blake

There's a nice discussion on this topic going on down below in the Penmanship section.

Tharmas wrote:

"Is it easier to change the nib on an Esterbrooks that it would be on a Pelikan?

What's the difference between a cursive italic and an oblique?

Does a stub have any flex to it?"

Both Esties and Pels are screw out nibs. I think one is as easy as the other. For me that key difference in the two models is the filling mechanisms.

Cursive italic nibs render some line variation. Frankly, I never caught onto oblique nibs. I never got any line variation out of one and I trust Richard's assessment of them. Some folks swear by obliques, though, depending on whether they are lefties or they turn their pens a particular way when they write. You will have to decide for yourself on that one.

I want stub and italic nibs to be rigid to allow for line variation. Some pen manufacturers make an available flex stub, like Danitrio. I would like to try one, but I doubt I would own one.

Just keep reading and asking questions. I would follow Ghost Plane's recommendation to the Penmanship section for the moment. Things will fall into place for you. :thumbup:

Edited by FrankB