Senator Regent

WJM

I had it in my head since I saw it in chrisrap52 video review. And luckily, a few days ago, I won one on a Polish auction site. For about 12 dollars.

If you're a Pelikan enthusiast, you understand the appeal. The pen is obviously modeled after Pelikan 100N. Because of that it has a very old style looks, which I very much approve.

The pen is in a reasonably good shape. The piston works smoothly (it's a piston filler) but there clearly is some ink residue trapped behind the piston seal which I was unable to get rid of it. Anyone knows how to dissasemble a Senator piston mechanism?

The nib is so... German. That's the right word. It has a very similar feel to the Pelikan steel nib I have in M200 and the Bock nib I have in Kaigelu 316. Smooth, but substantially feedbacky, and pretty bouncy.

At the moment it writes OK enough for using it normally, but it's somewhat dry-ish and one or twice it happened it stopped at all, but then catched ink flow again very easily. I suspect there might be still some residue in the feed.

IMG-20190327-214311.jpg

IMG-20190327-214240.jpg

IMG-20190327-214220.jpg

Edited by WJM

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WJM

• senzen

• whych

• amk

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pen, great price, it does seem like some ink might have caked in. Do they have nib and feed units that screw out like Pelikans?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Yes, very similar one, but unfortunately not interchangeable with Pelikan,the collar is different.

Yes, very similar one, but unfortunately not interchangeable with Pelikan,the collar is different.

Thank you, that's a shame, it would interesting to find out the compatibility with other older brands one can find online from time to time, like Brause, Rotring Renaissance, Geha and such.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I managed to find one of these in its original packaging, together with a rather lovely bronze or brass inkwell, It's a lovely pen and as you say has much of the appeal of vintage Pelikans, and apparently did come with different coloured bindes though I've only seen black,

There's a pic of one with the inkwell elsewhere on the forum - https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/282517-how-much-is-this-pen-worth/

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Today I tried to disassemble the nib unit in hope of cleaning the feed.

Unfortunately, bad news. I was unable to free the nib and feed from the collar. I tried to push them, pull them, even knock them out with a hammer, to no effect whatsoever.

I also found some green residue coming from under the collar on the feed - apparently the nib and feed were glued with the collar. Heating it didn't help.

Just my luck. I strongly suspect this green stuff is also what's causing the flow issues.

Senator crimp the nib onto the feed if I remember correctly and you can't knock the nib out without breaking the collar or feed.

Thanks for the info. Likely saved me from destroying the pen.

Anyway, I've been using it every day past week and I'm satisfied with it. After some more flushing and soaking, and changing the ink, weirdly, to a drier one (Pelikan 4001 Black) it became a very reliable writer.

Considering the price I gave, this was a really great buy.

Edited by WJM

• 1 year later...

The nib and feed screw out together . Never had any trouble getting one out and I have owned several .

Eddie

I am currently using a Senator that looks like a Pelikan 120-- in fact a Pelikan M&K 120 nib screws in perfectly!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• 4 weeks later...