Thickness Of Diverse Lines In Writting?

CatalinD

Greetings! Would somebody be kind enough to explain me how are u supposed to create those diverse lines while wrtting with a fountain pen? In case I am not clear, I am talking about the way you'd see a calligraphy letter with the vertical lines being thicker and the horizontal ones narrower. What kind of pen/tehnique is needed to do it? I tried with more pens and I just can't seem to make any line in a different thickness than the previous one.

I hope it is not as bad as a question as I see it.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CatalinD

• Karmachanic

• gyasko

• penwash

It is a valid question. Not a bad one at all.

Using fountain pens, you have three choices of nib types with which you can produce line variations.

1. Italic nibs. This type of nib has flat end on its tines (not a ball) so your horizontal is thin and your vertical is thicker.

2. Architect nibs. This one is usually a custom grind where your horizontal is thicker and your vertical is thinner.

3. Flexible nibs. This one produce line variation by splitting the tines according to the amount of pressure. Bad quality flexible nibs require a lot of pressure and the line variation is not as crisp and satisfying. Good quality flex nibs are sensitive to even the smallest pressure and the resulting line variation is crisp and beautiful (think of something similar to calligraphy dip nibs).

Of course these are just the broad category, there are variations within these. But this should give you a general direction to find more info on.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

And here I was hoping for a normal fountain pen with a broad nib would suffice... granted I find one in my country that wouldn't burn a whole through my pocket.

Is there any common and budget friendly fountain pen meeting one of the cathegories you listed that you could recommend for a begginer? I'd really need something that is pretty common in order to have a higher chance of not needing to order outside from abroad, and of course not something as expensive because I might end up breaking it due to lack of experience.

If there isn't anything budget friendly or commonly found, still a recommendation would be highly appreciated as I can keep using my current pens, get used to them and eventually invest into something like this even if it means spending a respectable amount of money.

You can get cheap stub or italic nibs. The old Sheaffer No Nonsense would work. You could get one for ~20 US.

There are alao currently made pens that offer stubs or italics at a relatively low price. My favorites in this category are the Indian eyedroppers and the Lamy Al-Star (or Safari).

All the Lamy Safaris/Al-Stars I found seem to have a round nib... or this is what I see in the pictures presented. Neverthless I found a Sheaffer Caligraphy, which has a striking resembleance to the No Nonsense, is there any chance the Caligraphy is just an updated No Nonsense? Either way, the pictures show a nib with a flat end, so it should be what I am searching for right?

The nib is not expensive but the shipping cost to Romania is more than the price of the nib itself, I will try to find something like that in here or if all else fail just take it from there. With what pen would you recommend to pair it? Safari or All Star? Or something else?

Look for calligraphy fountain pens. They usually come with a stub/italic nib. You recognize it because it has a flat end. You can usually find calligraphy fountain pen sets for a cheap price that have a fountain pen and three different section/nib combinations (1.1, 1.5, 1.7 usually) or even three bodies with the three widths.

Even being in Romania, I'd guess that you could get an "italic / stub calligraphy" fountain pen set on eBay sent from China, Pakistan or India, with free shipping for very little. You can get a cheap one to try and see if you like it, then as you learn more, you may consider other options.

For the sake of completeness, though I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie:

If you want flex writing, maybe you should consider the european eBay sites, I ani't sure if Romania is already in the Schengen space; but first I'd strongly advice that you do some research on what flex means and what kind of flexible fountain pen options are available and what may they be worth.

Edited by txomsy

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

All the Lamy Safaris/Al-Stars I found seem to have a round nib... or this is what I see in the pictures presented. Neverthless I found a Sheaffer Caligraphy, which has a striking resembleance to the No Nonsense, is there any chance the Caligraphy is just an updated No Nonsense? Either way, the pictures show a nib with a flat end, so it should be what I am searching for right?

Yes...the Sheaffer Calligraphy pens are decent and inexpensive writers with a comfortable grip. I just got a few clear Jinhao fountain pens with calligraphy nibs (with shaped grip like the Safari) from eBay...two US dollars each.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

The nib is not expensive but the shipping cost to Romania is more than the price of the nib itself, I will try to find something like that in here or if all else fail just take it from there. With what pen would you recommend to pair it? Safari or All Star? Or something else?

As suggested you can look on Ebay, or look online for a source closer to Romania for lower postage cost (Hungary, Austria?). Safari or All Star - your choice. A Lamy Safari/All Stars a sturdy reliable pen that will last you a long time.

If you want inexpensive just to get an idea:

\https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxury-quality-879-parallel-art-flower-body-Flat-Nib-Tibetan-Arabic-Fountain-Pen/273169972844?hash=item3f9a32fe6c:m:mKgvpkEvs5ZlVi6SY9Dk1iQ

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

It seems like I might have missused the word "inexpensive", by that I didn't mean the cheapest pen that would make the job done, I just meant something that's entry level or below 25USD. But you havea a good point. I will try a pen caligraphy pen from China because the one you linked from eBay is not shipped to Romania (found something on Aliexpress link below) and if it is suitable for me/my writting which clearly needs improvements, I will go for a Lamy Safari with a stub nib.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC-0-7mm-2-9mm-Bamboo-Calligraphy-Art-Fountain-Pen-Broad-Stub-Chisel-pointed-Nib-Writing/32865456535.html?albagn=888888&&src=google&albch=search&acnt=479-062-3723&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=266121556&albag=7593673036&slnk=&trgt=aud-165594907443:dsa-42862830006&plac=&crea=64152518716&netw=g&device=c&mtctp=b&memo1=1t2&albbt=Google_7_search&aff_platform=google&gclid=CjwKCAjwvuzkBRAhEiwA9E3FUvtduhYMhPKAXZ6FxyuXQs2oRY7Y9OyV6s4zjfvEHRVQPHnxe4gzVRoCQEoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by CatalinD

Based on my experience with Aliexpress shipping, the thread will be closed or just inactive far before the pen is even sent in my city, but if it works out fine you can be sure I will come back when the time for something more special arrives. Thank you very much for the help and recommendations given.

Also you can take a look to the “fountain pens revolution” site, they have pens with “modern flex nibs” which are very decent to start with, and you can buy extra nibs in case of ... and if I remember well the shipping is free.

• 3 weeks later...

I just meant something that's entry level or below 25USD. But you havea a good point. I will try a pen caligraphy pen from China because the one you linked from eBay is not shipped to Romania

You could try to find a Pilot Plumix (or a Pilot MR fitted with a CM/'Stub'/'Italic' nib) that ships from the UK or continental Europe. The pen itself isn't expensive, but I'm not sure about the shipping charges to Romania. I would send you a surplus Plumix pen if postage from Australia didn't cost twice the price of the pen itself.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

No can do with you run of the mill regular tipped nib.

An Osmiroid stiff 6 nib calligraphy set, will fit an Esterbrook....the Engilish ones not the later Chinese oens. The Esterbrook is a nicer lever action pen, than the Osmiroid 65, the 75 is a cartridge pen....The 65 is a cheap pen, and feels it. I assume the 75 also.

The nib set goes from BB, B, M, F, F-EF, & EF.

I have a Lamy Joy 1.5, but any Safari will take that 1.5 nib. It is big enough I can see all my mistakes....would suggest a 1.2 or 1.0 even more for 'normal' writing.

There are very many italic scripts....

Those nibs which are flat wide and untipped....well the EF is not wide of course., are held before the big index knuckle very vertical and are canted....rotated to a 45 degree angle and the letters are drawn in a push pull movement. One does need a book, to practice drawing the letters.

There are many beautiful scripts.

Normal pens, especially modern ones are often nails or semi-nails...........you are not going to get the fancy lettering unless you have the nib made stub or CI.....cursive italic. Cursive italic is a softer italic grind, normally with tipping still, a stubb is an even softer italic grind....IMO one should have a stub before going CI.

Lamy 1.5 "italic" are more stubbish many say....is not even as sharp as a CI can be......Italic is sharp and will catch the corner of the paper if you don't do it right.

Regular flex or Japanese 'soft'.....Pelikan 120.....best buy is a Geha School pen for E12-19. but often only comes in F.

...If you want different width nibs for @ E27 each , then a Pelikan 200 or 100/150. I rave about regular flex nibs. They are a nice springy ride, real good for two toned shading inks.........for shading inks you need 90g paper.....there are also 100-110 & 120 g laser paper, before the real heavy 150-170g papers.

Writing is 1/3 nib width/flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink and in that order.

Vintage Pelikan 140-400's from 1950-65 other German pens to 1970, give that old fashioned flair due to ease of tine spread. those are SEMI-flex.....almost flex.........not semi-FLEX....superflex............one don't abuse the nib and ruin it by trying to make the nib flex more than the 3 X vs a light down stroke maximum. It is not a nib for the Olympic Splits competition you see being ruined on YouTube.

Flair, due to ease of tine bend and spread, & those nibs are stubs. So one gets the stub, one gets more tine spread, and good quick snap back. One gets nice line variation with out having to do anything at all.....and suggest Only semi-flex if one wants an oblique nib.

Oblique in nail, or even regular flex is a waste of your money.....unless you are left eye dominate. Then it's a good nib, so you can see the top of the nib with your dominate eye.

But I recommend those semi-flex pens only after one has 4 pens, two nails and two regular flex. I suggest a EF and B nail and a F&M in regular flex.

M is looked down on this com...in many come in on an M and go skinny or fat....but is a great nib size actually, good for shading inks, glitter inks and better than F on classic rough laid or Lenin papers.

Using MB Toffee a brown shading ink, back when I was newer.

F was light with dark trails.

M was 50-50 in shading :yikes: , breaking my anti-M prejudice I picked up here on the com.

B was dark with light trails.

xxxxxxxxx

For big fat and skinny letters you have to get a superflex nib..........cheapest is an Ahab that you grind two half moons into the nib a week after you get it....so you get use to it at first and then can see the vast difference between the semi-flex pressure that unmodified nib requires to really flex the nib and the first stage of superflex.....Easy Full Flex, that one has on the nib after it has been modified.

Again one has to learn to draw the letters. I found my stiff nib calligraphy book an aid in drawing flexible letters in one has where it should be pushed to make it fat, and were to start releasing for skinny....but a book on copperplate or Spenserian would be better than just a italic calligraphy book.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pelikan Graphos or Rotring ArtPen are typical calligraphy pens which often can be found for a song en ebay.

To give you a direct comparison of a pointed pen and a stub in everyday kinds of writing, I used a pointed, flexible dip pen for the writing on the right, and a stub dip pen for the writing on the left. It is not that easy for an un-trained eye to tell the difference.

There are many stub and flexible dip pens in your area of the world that are relatively inexpensive. Something else to think about.

Andrew

fpn_1556300973__stub_pointed_comparison.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne