What Is This Pen? Never Seen Something Like It?

Lukefarley

This pen is a retractable fountain pen, quite small only measuring about 10cm in length on the Cap it has written "falcon pen" and then some tiny little markings which I cannot read. On the nib it has written "warranted 14Ct" which is referring to 14 carrat gold I presume?? If you rotate the Cap on the top of the pen it nib retracts which I thought was a bit unique. Thanks much.

post-148899-0-98601000-1553462175_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lukefarley

• peterg

• eachan

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The style and construction of the pen suggests that the cap should come off and screw on to the section once the nib has retracted, making it a standard 'safety pen'.

Might the cap have got stuck on the end of the barrel, working the mechanism as you rotate it?

safety pen (retractable nib) like these ones

fpn_1553468498__p1150288-3_fendograph_la

these are Fendograph, made in Italy, gold overlay

probably from the 1930s

Thankyou so much, that's really useful! I'll have a read up on them.one more question... The nib is in questionable condition and I would like to either repair or replace it. Is that somthing that is realistic to do or am I being a bit hopeful. Cheers.

What's wrong with the nib?

it has a split tip and also is bent or has been dropped by the looks of it

Too poor a photo to make any definative comment on but, unless the tipping has broken off, it should be repairable and if it has the tip can be resmoothed to make it useable

Too poor a photo to make any definative comment on but, unless the tipping has broken off, it should be repairable and if it has the tip can be resmoothed to make it useable

Ah, thanks, sorry about the photo had to compress it to upload as the file was too large. any recommendations on repairers as don't want to be spending too much money any idea on pricing/ how to get a quote?

Where are you based?

If you're in the UK, maybe start with Peter Twydle.

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/repairs.htm

He'll point you in the right direction even if he can't help you himself. I would have thought he'd have a suitable nib and the expertise to restore your pen.

I wish you luck,

W.S.P

W.S.P

we would need a closer photo of the nib to see what's wrong, it looks slightly bent, but not in very bad conditions, although a larger photo directly from above the nib would help (today's phones do quite some good close up photos...). Take the photo in day light if possible.

If you have a "good" pen shop in the neighborhood I would take it there for some initial advice (can it be repaired, can you do it, how much would it cost, etc.)

PS or yes, follow W.S.P.s advice above

Edited by sansenri

we would need a closer photo of the nib to see what's wrong, it looks slightly bent, but not in very bad conditions, although a larger photo directly from above the nib would help (today's phones do quite some good close up photos...). Take the photo in day light if possible.

If you have a "good" pen shop in the neighborhood I would take it there for some initial advice (can it be repaired, can you do it, how much would it cost, etc.)

PS or yes, follow W.S.P.s advice above

Where are you based?

If you're in the UK, maybe start with Peter Twydle.

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/repairs.htm

He'll point you in the right direction even if he can't help you himself. I would have thought he'd have a suitable nib and the expertise to restore your pen.

I wish you luck,

W.S.P

Thanks very much for all of your responses and for being so patient with me being clueless. Yes I am based in the UK and I'm going to have a look to whether I can find anyone who does nib repairs close to where I live. Thanks again for your responses it is much appreciated. Cheers, Luke.

Thanks very much for all of your responses and for being so patient with me being clueless. Yes I am based in the UK and I'm going to have a look to whether I can find anyone who does nib repairs close to where I live. Thanks again for your responses it is much appreciated. Cheers, Luke.

You never said where 'close to where I live' is!

Edited by peterg

I do not know anyone in Cumbria but Eckiethump (Eric Wilson) is in Edinburgh. The pen probably needs a full service to make it ink tight.

Hi Luke.

Nice pen. You can sometimes get a good close-up photo from a phone by using a magnifying glass (and a steady hand). Good light also helps. We'd just need to see the extent of the damage, mainly at the tip. It may even turn out to be something you could sort out yourself, if you're technically adept.

If it needs professional repair, then I'd agree with peterg: yes to Eric Wilson (Eckiethump). Not too far from (beautiful) Cumbria. I haven't used him personally, but have seen many examples of his excellent work, on these pages.

And welcome to FPN.

Ah thanks yes good idea with the magnifier I will give it a try and post the results, I was wondering how easy it would be to get a valuation one of the links somone posted earlier had a free valuation service. What I'm sorta asking is would it be financially viable to get it repaired, I'm unlightlightly to sell it but it's whether I could aquire a working one for less than the repairs will be I suppose.cheers for the support.