Advice On Buying Indian-Made Ebonite Pen?

akrohn2010

Hey all,

I'm looking for a pen to use one or two of my spare #6 nibs with and am interested in trying something new, specifically an ebonite pen. I know very little about Indian-made ebonite so would love your expertise.

I've had my eye on a FPR Triveni Jr in ebonite for a while but am curious if you all would recommend I take a second look at an Asa, Ranga, or another option. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Has to fit a #6 nib (bonus if it takes a Jowo assembly but not required)

2. Has to be under $100 (preferably closer to $50)

3. Midi sized and comfortable for long writing, plan to use this pen for letter writing and handwriting drills. I don't usually post my pens.

4. Would prefer not waiting months for a custom order or production backlog (unless you can sell me that it's worth it)

My favorite pens for weight/balance/feel/size are my Edison Menlo and Lamy 2000, if that helps at all. Appreciate any suggestions! I've taken a quick look at Ranga and Asa but am undecided due to what seems like long wait times or limited options.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• akrohn2010

• Jamerelbe

• BaronWulfraed

there are two options in your first request:

if the pen has to take Jowo assembly (screw in nib, feed, collar group) then it will practically only take Jowo assembly, as the pen will be threaded for that

(you can however dismantle the Jowo nib assembly and fit a different nib in, the Jowo collar takes Bock nibs #6 size, but it's not 100% granted the feed will fit perfectly)

If the #6 nib can be without screw-in assembly, then a lot of other ED pens can be considered.

I particularly like this route because I like ED pens and particularly the fact you get an ebonite feed in Indian EDs

I recently bought a Gama Eyas from the Asapen site, the nib is friction fit, I took out the nib and changed it with an Omas spare nib (Paragon size) I had lying around. It fits perfectly.

Worth a try, the Gama Eyas costs less than $25, is a mid size close to pelikan M800 if not slightly larger, very comfortable, no step downs, and I received it within 2-3 few weeks from ordering.

If you prefer the Jowo assembly then Ranga is a good choice, model 3 is a very comfortable mid size, if you stick to standard ebonite cost can be kept somewhat below your upper budget, check out also the current group buy running.

Ranga will provide the pen also just threaded for Jowo, so you can spare the cost of the nib group.

Gama Eyas

fpn_1551631203__p1170100-3_gama_eyas_bru

Edited by sansenri

I have a few Triveni pens (Junior and full-size) and would consider myself a fan - they're good value for money, though it's a shame FPR have had to increase their prices on them in the past few months. [As far as I can tell, they're passing on a price increase from the manufacturer.] The Triveni will take a JoWo #6, but you'll have to swap it in to the FPR housing, which is proprietary (or at least, not compatible with JoWo screw-ins).

I'd also highly recommend Ranga Pens, who will manufacture their pens to take a JoWo screw-in - but you're right, there *is* a bit of a delay in getting them, as they're more or less made to order. I've bought a number of their pens via FPN group buys (you can find the latest at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/344271-ranga-handmade-pens-solid-ebonite-colours-group-buy-bock-titanium-nibs-available/). If you order a JoWo pen minus nib, they reduce $12 from the price - which would bring the cheapest 2 models (the 3 and the 3C) down to $47.

I also own a couple of ASA pens, but have been less impressed (sad to say) with the quality of their workmanship. Beautiful pens, but the clear acrylic pen developed a crack, while the ebonite pen (an ASA Maya) has inconsistent thread and is prone to dry-out when capped for any length of time.

Edited to add website link

Edited by Jamerelbe

Thanks for the help thus far, all!

The Triveni Jr is still my leading candidate but the main thing holding me back is how good the matte ebonite pens on Asa and Ranga's website look - Jamerelbe, can you confirm the Triveni is a glossy finish?

That Ranga model 3C does look nice. Can anyone give an idea of how long of a wait a single Ranga order usually is? Curious why the 3C is twice the price of the Model 3...

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Sanseri, That Eyas does look nice, but I checked Asa's website and it appears to be out of stock. Looks like the Maya is in stock, which I like thto look of, but have heard that the company is very backed up...not sure if "in stock" means already made.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

The Triveni Jr is still my leading candidate but the main thing holding me back is how good the matte ebonite pens on Asa and Ranga's website look - Jamerelbe, can you confirm the Triveni is a glossy finish?

That Ranga model 3C does look nice. Can anyone give an idea of how long of a wait a single Ranga order usually is? Curious why the 3C is twice the price of the Model 3...

Yep, the Triveni is a glossy finish.

The 3 and 3C are the same price in the group buy - though upgrading from eyedropper filled to German screw-in option (including nib) roughly doubles the cost.

Where were you looking? On the recent group buy, they are both priced the same: $59 for screw-in nib C/C version.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/344271-ranga-handmade-pens-solid-ebonite-colours-group-buy-bock-titanium-nibs-available/

{I'm currently awaiting a crimson 4c/titanium, and a grass bamboo/gold}

The payment info email advices shipping 5 weeks from payment date.

FWIW, I'll put in my .02 for a strong recommendation for the Ranga 3C. As an eyedropper, it holds an impressive 4ml of ink and (IMO) is one of the most comfortable pens I've ever written with. If you order one through the current group buy, you should receive it about 4-6 weeks after confirmation of your order. The longest I had to wait was 9 weeks. It was worth it.

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

I accidentally omitted to paste in the FPN Ranga group buy link above - have done so now, but will also include here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/344271-ranga-handmade-pens-solid-ebonite-colours-group-buy-bock-titanium-nibs-available/

Okay, this plus Maccbeus' endorsement swayed me. I was a bit put off by the price of a Model 3 direct from Ranga's site and an uncertain delivery timeframe but just put in an order for a Model 3 in Sacramento Teal brushed finished and Jowo threading. Perfect!

Thank you all for the help once again!

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Are the threads sharp on the eyas?

I read your comments about the Gama Supreme...

the threads on the Gama Eyas are not sharp, at least by my judgment, although they are slightly sharper than Ranga threads.

The Eyas does not annoy me, only my thumb rests slightly on the threads and that does not bother me, I don't clutch the pen tight anyway.

By comparison the Ranga threads however do feel smoother.

If you want a thread free and step free pen, then you might want to try the Asa Nauka. Size is similar to the Ranga 3 perhaps slightly larger.

as Jamerelbe says, cost depends on the filling system you choose (ED costs less, CC costs more) and also on the type of nib, Indian, German, special.

In this Ranga group buy I went for the Titanium Bock nib so the cost of my model 3 shot up beyond $100... but I have so many pens with standard Jowo/Bock nibs that I wanted a new experience...

Delivery time for a custom order can take at least a month (to Italy that is...), in some cases more (my worst delivery reached almost 2 months... but then again, no worries, this is for fun, and I have other pens to play around in the meantime... :) )

Here my model 3s

mottled green

fpn_1553375128__ranga_3_mottled_green_01

pink-blue premium ebonite

fpn_1548188217__p1170075-3_ranga_3_blue-

the new teal colour model 3 is coming with the group buy

I'm already thinking that my next model 3 (very fond of this size/shape) will be one of the new acrylics Ranga is setting up, when the right colour comes up...

(and I'm not listing 3Cs, as I have a few of those too... :D )

Sanseri, That Eyas does look nice, but I checked Asa's website and it appears to be out of stock. Looks like the Maya is in stock, which I like thto look of, but have heard that the company is very backed up...not sure if "in stock" means already made.

Regarding the Eyas, but more in general pens on offer at Asa, it's not rare that they're out of stock, but after a while they re-stock.

It's a matter of patience...

When I bought my Asa Genius, I had to wait, as for a period they had black only, then ripple/mottled came back but not all colour choices, I went for a mottled light brown, although initially I was thinking I would like a darker colour which however was not in stock...

Those are nice! Thanks for sharing, sanseri. Looking forward to mine as well.

I opted for a Jowo 1.5 nib (I have mostly EF or medium italic nibs) to try something new. I will likely put my Masuyama italic nib unit in this pen once it gets here though...

This was a tough choice, but getting a limited edition solid matte ebonite pen from a trusted source like Ranga tipped the scale. I was almost sold on the Triveni but wanted a solid option besides black.

Edited by flyingpenman

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

In my opinion, the best thing about getting pens from makers like ASA and Ranga is the ability to customise them. Not having it in stock is irrelevant when it comes to a pen made for you and only you. If the customization is not excessive, for example requesting for a shorter length, or maybe changing a cigar shape to a flat-top, they might not even charge extra for it.

Those are nice! Thanks for sharing, sanseri. Looking forward to mine as well.

I opted for a Jowo 1.5 nib (I have mostly EF or medium italic nibs) to try something new. I will likely put my Masuyama italic nib unit in this pen once it gets here though...

This was a tough choice, but getting a limited edition solid matte ebonite pen from a trusted source like Ranga tipped the scale. I was almost sold on the Triveni but wanted a solid option besides black.

Sounds fun, show us some pictures when it arrives!

In my opinion, the best thing about getting pens from makers like ASA and Ranga is the ability to customise them. Not having it in stock is irrelevant when it comes to a pen made for you and only you. If the customization is not excessive, for example requesting for a shorter length, or maybe changing a cigar shape to a flat-top, they might not even charge extra for it.

quite true actually, I've seen a few Ranga pens customized to pocket size (shorter), I myself had the section modified on a 3C and had an hourglass section fitted.

You can't do that on Pelikans, Montblancs, etc... :D

Another option would have been to buy a Ranga from Peyton Street Pens https://www.peytonstreetpens.com

Lots in stock and all of them are threaded for Jowo nib units. You can even buy without a nib and converter and save $20 but it's still threaded. They even supply an eyedropper and silicone with the pen incase you want to use the pen that way. I think I had it in three days of order with my choice of clip and nib finish.

The model 3 is on close out for $55 or $45 if you don't want the nib and converter. The other pens are more but bigger discount if you have your own Jowo nib unit. That one is out of many colors. Much better selection on the other models.

I bought the Zayante model that is made for them and love it. Only think I don't like is that the cap takes four turns to remove. I expect that is close to normal on Ranga ebonite pens. The pen is so comfortable.

Thanks Driften! I did see that Peyton St had some in stock but decided that getting a matte finish in a solid color was worth the wait for me.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation: