Help With Vintage Flexible Fountain Pen Hunting!

Edo98

Again, I've had better luck with Mr. M: I sent him a tiny Wahl pen and a very flexible dip nib and asked him to marry them. He did, but when I got the pen back the nib was crumpled into the cap. I sent it back and he very kindly repaired it, and it's an amazing writer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edo98

• Bo Bo Olson

• sidthecat

• Honeybadgers

I apologize for being absent but I was very busy and exhausted by some projects of my career and to add that I was sick :(

Edo, one has to remove the oil coating of a dip pen, by licking it, or touching a match to it for a second or so.....toothbrush also works from my reading.

With the protective coating removed, you should have a different experience than a blob machine. There are thicker dip pen inks, Higgans, Windsor&Newton.

Must admit I do very little scribbling with my dip pen nibs....I'd have to learn to write if I messed with them to any extent. (Sigh cubed, even have unused oblique nib holders.)

Thanks for the advice.
Today I decided to grab my dip pen and cleaned the nib hiro leonardt 40 with toothpaste and soap from dishes.
And the nib behaved in a better way but still I use it with a lot of delicacy because if I press too hard it makes a huge drop of ink.
So I decided to use the dip pen with extremely soft touch and going slowly is a strange thing for me since I'm used to writing quickly because of my cursive style but it does not take away from the fact that I entertained something, a mixture of excitement and stress .
I also imagine that the ink I use does not help much since you recommend a thicker ink, first I used the ink jherbin calligraphy ink and it produces a lot of bleed and feathering and I also used my ink noodler's blue-black and it gives similar results.
I'm going to upload pictures of today's results with the dip pen.

By the way I have not practiced anything since the day I arrived because I did not have time so do not be horrified to see the photos is a mess of ink :lticaptd:

Hi,

that's completely fine. And important.

Maybe vintage stub nibs will be yours...

Most are broad, few are F, but medium stubs give nice line variation when writing quickly, too.

Best

Jens

Hi, I love stub nibs I have a lamy 2000 BB modified to be a stub and it is quite soft and gives good line variation.

spend a few bucks on some proper india ink. You'll enjoy the more reliable, consistent results. Also, less dipping since the ink hangs onto the nib better.

fountain pen inks on dip nibs are a little more fiddly and advanced (many inks do NOT work well in dip nibs - these require ink cages)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

spend a few bucks on some proper india ink. You'll enjoy the more reliable, consistent results. Also, less dipping since the ink hangs onto the nib better.

fountain pen inks on dip nibs are a little more fiddly and advanced (many inks do NOT work well in dip nibs - these require ink cages)

Hello :)
You are absolutely right my friend , with the fountain pen ink the dip pen nib the ink runs out quickly and I have to put it in ink every time and to that we add that at the slightest pressure you can cause a huge drop of ink and even with little pressure I see a lot of bleed and feathering. :(

Of the inks that were recommended to me previously, they are almost always sold out but the good thing is that I saw in mercado libre that they sell a bottle of speedball India ink.
if I buy it I hope it's a good ink :)

True with that thicker ink I imagine that I would write with less fear of making an ink disaster due to that uncontrollable flow that the lighter inks caused me.

It surprises me quite like opening just a little the tines comes out a giant drop XD

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I got the ink speedballl a while ago and the result was better but not ideal anyway, it helped a lot to pass the flame of a lighter in the gib ... but the flow was still quite damp even using a light hand :( so I left all that for a while and did not practice anything.
Today I decided to take it again and tried the driest and most problematic ink that I had kaweco caramel brown and ironically it works great with my dip pen g nibs XD I was quite surprised by the result I got today.
With the kaweco ink I had a fairly controlled flow and did not have to submerge the nib very often I was quite surprised, in my fountain pens the ink is very dry especially in my lamy 2000 BB stub nib and it became quite annoying.
I will show you some photos of the results that I just got today there was no bleed and feathering, I will try to practice more often since I have to improve my ascending strokes since the tip is sharp and tends to wobble my hand in those strokes.
I will continue training with dip pens and then move to the flexible fountain pens without fear of damaging them and of course get the most out of them, I have my eye on some vintage waterman that looks quite interesting but I have to save more. :)

For dip pen basics..Read up on it at thesteelpen.com.

Ink blobs can be remedied by the use of saliva... whipe your nib with saliva or stick it in a potatoes. When dipping, don't dip past the gravity hole.