Montblanc Noblesse 1120 Cartridge / Converter Question

alexwi

Hi,

I received this pen today and am a bit confused about what cartridge and/or converter works with it:

fpn_1553222714__montblanc-noblese-1120.j

There are a number of posts that state that the Noblesse works with an international cartridge, but so far, only one out of three that I tried fit snuggly.

I also tried three international converters and not one of them would stay put.

So, what do I use to ink this pen?

Thanks!

Alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• txomsy

• alexwi

• CS388

• enuhski

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Waterman, if I remember well. I have four Noblesses and the first (my original one) had a MB converter, the old one, not the new, threaded one. When I recently (well a few years ago) bought the second, I got a new, threaded one on a boutique but had to return it as it did not fit. Luckily, I had a Waterman converter from old at home that I could test and worked, and even luckier, that MB boutique was at a large store nearby a Waterman boutique, which I went to straight away to get a couple more converters just in case... which subsequently fitted the next two Noblesses.

There was a great page at nibs.com (https://www.nibs.com/fountain-pen-converters.htm) where they listed a number of converters and their dimensions. I can find it no more though on their site. Maybe it is at the Internet Archive.

The problem is the nipple in the section: Montblanc used a 2.33mm diameter inner connector. Same as Waterman. Hence, Waterman modern converters are compatible with old Montblancs like the Noblesse.

Now, on the phony (funny?) side, though I haven't tested it on a Noblesse yet, I got some chinese converters (5pcs Jinhao Copper Fountain Pen Advanced Ink Converters 5pcs, 2.26EUR on eBay in 2017) for the Jinhao's/Hero's I had. Recently I got a vintage Waterman Graduate, for which I did not have a converter free; in the rush to test it, I tried one of these converters... and it worked, and stayed put. Doesn't feel very tight fitted, but stays put and has worked for a first full load. So, those might work too. I'll likely try them on a Noblesse the next time one gets into rotation.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I have 8 of these pens (Noblesse, VIP, Gemline etc) of various styles and I've noticed that they are all very finicky when it comes to international converters. Some fit but most don't. The Pelican ones sometimes fit but it's hit or miss. The inexpensive miniconverters like this always seem to fit

https://www.jetpens.com/Monteverde-Mini-Fountain-Pen-Converter/pd/10186?gclid=Cj0KCQjwj9LkBRDnARIsAGQ-hUcXb8TKqP9m3QhKxuPdNmTOLPjnaDX4W4WVxJBE_dq4gpAIGTpTJsUaAplnEALw_wcB

If I remember correctly, I used a Graf von Faber Castell converter in my Noblesse (some years ago now). Very good quality converter at a reasonable price.

And - are you sure that the nipple on the end of the feed is intact, as these can break off? You can test this by fitting any international standard cartridge (or a Montblanc cartridge, if you have one handy!) and see if it all works.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi y'all,

After trying a few empty International cartridges on for size, I found one that works and that's what I've been using.

Tried a couple of International converters but not one of them was a snug fit, so cartridges it is.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Alex

• 2 years later...

Hi! I'm reviving this thread to share my experiences with the Noblesse that I have. If you can help me identify its model, too, I'd really appreciate it :)

1) The modern Waterman cartrdige wouldn't fit. The body of the pen is too slim/narrow for it.

2) The Kaweco mini converter fits perfectly though - in fact it looks a little bit like the converter equivalent of the MB mystery black cartridge I used for the Noblesse that i have.

Photos attached for reference. Hope somebody else will find this info useful :)

198547275_3866382570151868_5014171545193223545_n.jpg

200273269_780854589284172_3146087403211858208_n.jpg

Thanks for the info on the Kaweco converter.

Can't help with the model. A picture of the cap might help. If I remember well, but note I may be wrong, the Slimline have an MB emblem in the clip, the Noblesse don't.

As for other converters... This advice is largely hit and miss, but I had good fortune with some cheap Chinese converter, bought by the handful. Can't remember any specific model name, but at least a picture of the one I have on my Noblesse(?) may help you identify them:

IMG_20210616_165036-sm.thumb.jpg.145fcaef9b8ef6fd4e9fca0dcd6c7b43.jpg

3 hours ago, enuhski said:

If you can help me identify its model, too, I'd really appreciate it

Hi @enuhski,

Assuming that the blurry cap in the background of the first picture is that pen's cap, I'm willing to bet that yours is the 1128.

Check your pen against this web page: http://www.collectiblestars.com/epages/64015612.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64015612/Categories/50/5010/501010/50101031/5010103184/501010318442/50101031844245

Alex

On 6/17/2021 at 12:52 AM, alexwi said:

Hi @enuhski,

Assuming that the blurry cap in the background of the first picture is that pen's cap, I'm willing to bet that yours is the 1128.

Check your pen against this web page: http://www.collectiblestars.com/epages/64015612.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64015612/Categories/50/5010/501010/50101031/5010103184/501010318442/50101031844245

Alex

On 6/16/2021 at 10:59 PM, txomsy said:

Thanks for the info on the Kaweco converter.

Can't help with the model. A picture of the cap might help. If I remember well, but note I may be wrong, the Slimline have an MB emblem in the clip, the Noblesse don't.

As for other converters... This advice is largely hit and miss, but I had good fortune with some cheap Chinese converter, bought by the handful. Can't remember any specific model name, but at least a picture of the one I have on my Noblesse(?) may help you identify them:

IMG_20210616_165036-sm.thumb.jpg.145fcaef9b8ef6fd4e9fca0dcd6c7b43.jpg

Thanks for the tip! 

Just an update, when I actually filled the kaweco mini-converter with ink, I discovered that the converter can't go all the way in. So filling it with ink isn't also a good idea. 

Thanks, it is indeed a MB 1128 based on the photos!

Thanks for the additional info on the mini converter.

According to this old page (maybe removed if gauges changed), a Montegrappa converter might also work. I haven't tried it.

Oh, and I checked, I have both a Noblesse and a Slimline fitted with those converters in the picture above, so they fit both (if they fit one, they should fit the other).

Note that modern MB C/C pens use a screw-in converter. Note also that, so far, I have had no issues with any kind of cartridge in any MB --but I seldomly use them, as I prefer ink from a bottle, so it was mainly when traveling... until I tried using small plastic spice bottles to carry ink and it worked.

I love the nibs on these Noblesse pens!

It's been years since I had one, so my memory may be compromised - but, I'm sure that the standard (non threaded) Montblanc converter fits these pens.  I know that these are almost impossible to find, now.

I used a Graff von Faber Castell converter, same format, perfect fit, top quality.

Dare I say, just as good as Montblanc?

They're a bit pricey for just a converter, but there's a budget Faber version also available, of the same pattern.

I repeat: I'm going from memory, here - so, please double check before any action.

Good luck with the pen.

Looks great!

16 hours ago, enuhski said:

st an update, when I actually filled the kaweco mini-converter with ink, I discovered that the converter can't go all the way in. So filling it with ink isn't also a good idea.

Check the section with a good light and a loupe in case there's anything obstructing the way. I once had to return one of these pens to the seller because part of a converter was still stuck inside and couldn't get that tiny ring from the converter's mouth out, no matter what I tried.

alex

I was about to post confirmation that the the Faber-Castell converters worked perfectly but decided to double check in my own 1128. What I found was that while the converter seemed to fit perfectly, I had actually missed that screwing the barrel back into the section resulted in the converter knob turning to the point which will hopefully be shown in an accompanying photo. I am able to get the barrel back on completely with the cap looking flush when I cap the pen, so I had thought it fine after my initial fill (I haven’t filled it since, sadly).  I don’t see any obstruction inside the barrel, but I do notice a bit of extra resistance now, when I’m at the end of screwing the barrel back on. Repeatedly taking off and replacing the barrel doesn’t seem to cause much further piston movement oddly enough. I suspect that filing or trimming a bit off of the back of the converter would give it the clearance needed.

On the other hand, the also pictured S Line, that I have in my notes as no. 2118 does actually seem to fit the Faber-Castell converter perfectly.

5F2EAF7E-3E0E-4DF7-AFBB-73D80B4179C4.jpeg

9 hours ago, CS388 said:

I love the nibs on these Noblesse pens!

It's been years since I had one, so my memory may be compromised - but, I'm sure that the standard (non threaded) Montblanc converter fits these pens.  I know that these are almost impossible to find, now.

I used a Graff von Faber Castell converter, same format, perfect fit, top quality.

Dare I say, just as good as Montblanc?

They're a bit pricey for just a converter, but there's a budget Faber version also available, of the same pattern.

I repeat: I'm going from memory, here - so, please double check before any action.

Good luck with the pen.

Looks great!

I recently replaced a converter on a Noblesse with a GvFC converter recommended by my local MB dealer. It works well. I wonder if it is possible to get new cap liners, as that particular pen seems to be getting ever worse with dry-out.

• 2 years later...

I also tried recently a Faber Castell converter, and it has a problem similar to the one described by @thi: it seems the rear end is too thick for the rear part of the barrel and when screwing back the barrel there is friction, which makes it unpleasant to screw, but worse, when I unscrew it, the converter gets trapped in the body and I need to use tweezers to extract it.

I am considering trying to saw it a bit to see if I can get it to fit, but for anyone looking for a no frills solution, the Faber-Castell just doesn't seem to be it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Got a Pelikan converter and it fits in like a glove, it's perfect. So, the best bets are Pelikan and Waterman. The GvFC fits but the rear piston is too thich and may need some trimming (I haven't tried that yet, but will soon).