Pelikan In Tortoise Identification

Mr.Rene

Greetings All!

Anybody knows wich Pelikan model is this pen..M200..M250 or M400 ?

I guess a M400 1980'-90' years production but I am not sure.

Appreciate any feeback,

Best Regards.

René.

post-838-0-12542800-1553204342.jpg

post-838-0-26975900-1553204354.jpg

post-838-0-03752500-1553204364.jpg

post-838-0-80735900-1553204372.jpg

post-838-0-00198800-1553204381.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr.Rene

• Bo Bo Olson

• OMASsimo

• Barutti

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the cap logo indented or just silk-screened? (First photo looks a bit like recent gold silk-screen

How many chicks in the logo?

Is the nib actual gold or plated steel (I can't make out the markings in the photo)[m200 is steel, m250 is gold -- in my experience]

My amber/cognac m250 has silk-screen, but also has a trim ring at the piston knob.. The lack of trim ring at the knob, but trim ring on the end of the cap does lead to early 80s m400 (mine is basic green/black stripe, with indented green-filled logo).

{My white/tortoise m400 and basic blue m600 have silk-screened 2-chick logos, and double rings at the knob, my vibrant green m600 has an etched 1-chick logo [the entire cap end is gold toned]}

Looks like an old style M400 made between 1984-1997. A better picture of the nib imprint would help distinguishing it from other models.

I recommend the link Barutti posted. The Pelikans Perch is a great resource, and that article was very informative.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

About questions done..

The top cap logo is gold etched (silk screen?) and two birds...the cap band says PELIKAN GERMANY

About nib..it is 14 K. solid gold and circle figure with the pelikan and two birds inside... says... in Cursive Letters style: PELIKAN 14C-585

I hope this extra information helps...Thank you for interest...

:thumbup:

Edited by Mr.Rene

Looks like a Tortoiseshell Brown M400 circa maybe 1991-96.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

General info, the M400 started in '1982, tortoise a year later. the 400 in regular flex ended in 1997, tortoise in '96 as Sargetalon said. It is a '90-96 pen. I have one.

I was at a live auction...There was a 400 '50's pen listed...and I was after a fabled semi-flex nib....and had not been to the auction house to check out the nib...it was my first auction I was going to buy something for my self....instead of accompanying my wife's addiction. (I always checked out the nib before the auction after this.)

I had hopes only for a couple of brick orange Lamy's 99's that I had hopes of getting for E20 start price...nothing I was going to spend money on. I was real noobie then and never heard of the old Lamy pens...pre Lambrou book.

Lifted the numbered paddle to start the bidding, two shocked breaths later, I got the paddle down at E75 and they sold for E85. :yikes:

If those two ugly pens sold for so much that '50's tortoise was going to go for a small fortune. 80E start price. 80 going once.....lots of times smart auction goers don't bid until the second call. Going twice......no bid................Going .....I snatched that numbered paddle out of my wife's hand so fast it left burnt rubber blisters.....I got it for E80.......soon after I got home....I found out it was not a '50's semi-flex but a '90's one.....didn't have the right feed....I'd not yet gotten my first semi-flex....A pretty pen....how good the nib actually was took me a couple of years. I had to go through a semi-flex addiction first.

Semi-flex unless you have a great ink to paper match is too wet for shading.

The drier Regular flex in M or F is very good for shading ink.

I actually got enamored with regular flex, by trans-mailing 200's nibs to a passed pal in England. I tried them...........decided I had enough 400s so didn't need a 200....so got a 215....now have two 200's also. I rant and rave about the 200's nibs.........regular flex is a lost term to most, but it is @ what the posters know as Japanese 'soft'.

Regular flex is so called, in it was once regular issue for many pen companies.

Your nib is a nice springy regular flex nib half a width narrower than modern, and writes with a cleaner line in it is not a fat tipped, double kugal fat and blobby semi-nail like the 400/600. (The modern 800 is a nail, the newest 1000 regular flex; both fat and blobby.)

I had a 605 BB and it was fat and blobby, I bought wide because I was going to stub or CI it...but it was the 1/2 width too wide.

I have a 1000 OBB and it is 1/2 a width wider than my very nice springy regular flex W.Germany 600 OBB.

I do recommend semi-vintage or vintage over modern....if you use half decent or better paper.

However, if you insist on PP cheap paper, then butter smooth is the only way to go.......... :P :bunny01:

If one has to have a 1000 insist on a semi-flex Bock nib.............the regular flex is ok....but for a round of drinks more, and if you Hunt....you can get a real nice nib in semi-flex.

The 1000 nib was the last Bock nib taken back In-House by Pelikan....and it appears they went to regular flex, instead of keeping the nib semi-flex.

:lticaptd:Folks use to complain about the Bock nib.......... :lticaptd: :P :bunny01: The very same complaints are still being said.................after '97 the Pelikan nibs out side the 200/150, became fat and blobby.

That is what the complaints had to do with and baby bottom from over polishing the nibs to make the stiffer nib butter smooth.....in they no longer had a springy ride.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 weeks later...

To make the confusion perfect, in Germany there was a "Karstadt-Edition" of the M400 tortoiseshell. Karstadt is a big department store chain in Germany. Sometimes they buy overproduction from manufacturers and sell them as their "editions".

So there exists a Pelikan M400 tortoiseshell in the shape of the post 1997 Souvereings, with all of their rings, bicolor 14K nib (I exchanged the original nib for a older one) and printed cap logo (so it must be a pre 2010 pen). In comparison to the current M800 or M400 pens, the tortoise has more brownish tones and lacks the gray shades.

See the pics in comparison to M800 tortoise, M400 white-tortoise and 400NN tortoise

img1365dg.jpg

img1360fq.jpg

Edited by Niagara Falls

Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher. (Einstein)

http://www.facebook.com/GuentherDebertin

"""So there exists a Pelikan M400 tortoiseshell in the shape of the post 1997 Souvereings, with all of their rings, bicolor 14K nib (Monotone :thumbup: )(I exchanged the original nib for a older one) and printed cap logo (mine has an imprint...missing paint so older still)

His....(so it must be a pre 2010 pen). In comparison to the current M800 or M400 pens, the tortoise has more brownish tones and lacks the gray shades.""" :o :unsure:

Grabbed my tortoise....I knew it was a much darker tortoise than my 500 & '54 transition 400...no barrel marking, nib marked, cap ring marked....had thought it a 400n, but it was a transition into that. And the cap was too short.... :angry:

Don't see any gray. :yikes: :rolleyes: ...your 400nn has the same shade of tortoise as my 500 & 400T.

Your new model 400 with the piston rings, is @ the same color as my M400 with out the piston ring.

There are a few other vintage colors of tortoise, sea green is one, and a lighter tortoise than your 400nn....or my 500 & 400T.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.