I Need 29 Cheap Fountain Pens To Give Away!

Cassotto

I haven't been here for some time owing to lack of time, but there's something I'd like to ask you today.

I'm an English teacher at a secondary school, and now and then I devote one entire class to speaking about any old topic that comes up. Today has been one of those days (though my plans had been different before the lesson started), after one of the students in the first row said he was intrigued by my fountain pen. We've been discussing them (or, rather, it's been me who's been talking about them, as none of the kids knew anything about fountain pens), and several of them have shown some interest. On my way home I've though that, since that group is my favourite one and they're all nice guys, I might give each of them a fountain pen at the end of the year as a farewell present (I won't be working at the same school next year).

I'm considering the possibility of buying Jinhao 991 fountain pens for them, though I've never had one. Since my students are twelve years old, and not the dainty type, many of them are likely to break the pens in a couple of weeks, so giving them good pens doesn't make much sense. Besides, I cannot afford to buy twenty-nine pens unless they're very cheap (the translucent 991s with an F nib are sold for $1 on eBay, and they look great for people that age, I think). Though not all the students have shown lots of interest, I'd buy one pen for each, not only for those I think would like them.

I've only had one Jinhao pen so far, the worst pen I've ever had. It was a Jinhao 500 I got I don't know where. It was extra heavy (a problem the 991 doesn't seem to have), but, above all, I didn't like how it wrote. The nib was very rigid and seemed to slid on the paper without leaving much ink behind (I cannot explain how it felt much better than this). So I'm a bit wary of Jinhao pens. Still, I like the 991. Anyway, while I don't want to buy expensive pens for my students, I don't want to give them something that will discourage them, either. On the contrary, my intention is getting some of them hooked on fountain pens.

Do you think the Jinhao 991 would be a good choice for what I want to do? Or is there any better option which I can get for not much more money?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Cassotto

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cassotto

• mhguda

• bob_hayden

• Bibliophage

Hi Cassotto,

A noble gesture indeed... I wish i had more time to talk... check out the Jinhao 750... all metal construction... a bit more resilient to the rigors placed upon from 12 y.o. boys... :D ...and is refillable with standard intl. carts in case they catch the fever. :D

Be well and enjoy life. God bless. :)

- Anthony

I second the Pilot Varsity. They can also be turned into eye droppers. Amazon has them in bulk for about two dollars a piece. You might be able to get them cheaper somewhere else.

A multi pack of the Varsity pens would be a great solution. My favorite pen to give away is the Hero Jumbo 616 in green/burgundy colors, but those tend to be $2-3 lowest prices. I wonder if an Eastern seller would make you a package price. Good luck!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

What a nice gesture. I'd suggest a Jinhao 911 over the 991 as the latter are very breakable. The 911s are only a few pence/cents more but aluminium and very robust. They only come in a hooded, extra fine nib but that's quite handy if they'll be using lesser grades of paper.

Edited by ScarletWoodland

If you are determined get them a pen for less than $10, I recommend the Platinum Preppy. It's a cartridge/converter so students who like the experience can try more inks and refill them.

But I personally think the Pilot Metropolitan, Kakuno, or Explorer is the better route. I think they write far better and more of the students will enjoy the writing experience with them.

If you setup a fundraising page somewhere on the internet, I'd be happy to chip in $20-$30 so budget is not the limiting factor in your decision. Not sure if other would join in, but I hope they would. I would love to help fund another generation of fountain pen users.

Good luck!

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

You want something that has excellent quality control and a reputation for writing with no fiddling or tuning the nib. I can't think of a better pen to give away to someone (who might not use it and might not even appreciate it, but SURE won't tolerate it being defective) than a Pilot Varsity or Platinum Preppy.

Write to mr Subramaniam at Asapens.in and ask him. I've done this, and bought some nice piston fillers for about $2 each, when I got a dozen or so. He has both Oliver Exams and Dollar pens, my students really liked the fact they could see the ink making its way through the transparent pen...

These pens are not quite as sturdy as the Jinhaos, I think, but they are strong enough. I used to give them away but some of the students aren't interested, and so I got those back, and after a good cleaning they're ready for the next student project...

Good luck and have fun with your students!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I guess the next question is: are you planning to supply them with a bottle of ink too? If not (that would get expensive quick), I think something disposable that comes preinked makes the most sense.

The Hero 616 should be an acceptable starter pen, if you don't mind that it's a bottle fill only. I've had reasonable luck using them with just about anything -including inkjet printer ink.

You could supply the class with one or two bottles of FP ink, and they would bring the pen to school to fill it. The ones that keep using the pens would eventually have to get their own, of course... in time...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

+ 1 for Dollar 717i, they are reliable and the nib is particularly good

you can find offers for boxes of 10 directly from Pakistan (where they are made), shipping included

just as an example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Dollar-5x-717-calligraphy-5x-717i-transparent-fountain-pen-FREE-EXTRA-PEN/132986321612?hash=item1ef69a3acc:g:FPgAAOSw7s5Xg-mz

Edited by sansenri

I am keeping in mind that the poster is listed as being in Spain, so a lot of what we might look at in the US won't apply.

I also think the Pilot Varsity or Platinum Preppy are the safe options; you can get cheaper pens but they probably won't be as reliable.

How about Jinhao Sharks? They are pretty cheap on Amazon, very colourful and lots of fun - mine works perfectly though to be fair, the Preppy is a better writer...