Lamy Logo - Yuck. Buy The Cp1.

Honeybadgers

Had I not bought it from Goulet I would have sworn I got a chinese knockoff.

I was interested because the CP-1 has a plastic section and this was advertised as all-metal. I was wrong. The finial and post point are cheap, nasty, horrible, awful feeling chrome painted plastic. Whereas the CP1 has a satisfying little click to let you know the cap is posted, this has a stiff mushy plastic tab that is going to wear the chrome off that you have to just mush the cap down onto.

The cap has substantial play side to side, as does the clip, which somehow also feels cheap despite being metal. The CP-1 has no cap play and a clip that feels straight off of the 2000.

The CP1 is also a hair thicker and the capped, has a step that doesn't exist on the CP1, which is a smooth, continuous surface. There's also two lugs on the base of the plastic end cap that catch on clothes.

$40 and Lamy can't even throw in a converter?

Typical Z50 nib. Not unusable, but poor width QC. Mine's a F but writes squarely in the M camp, with a little unpleasant scratchiness despite proper alignment. It's fine after smoothing, but still writes a narrow M line, not an F.

I only barely inked it up with the also dated feeling z26 converter and wrote a page or two before I decided this needs to be resold. I had a hankering for a more premium feeling CP1 (which was already a pretty premium feeling pen) and just went out and got a platinum CP1 with a 14k oblique medium. They're only $140 shipped on amazon.

If anyone wants a brushed stainless logo, F nib, like new in box with a Z26 converter, for $30 shipped in the USA, let me know. It's about 60% what you'd pay for one new with a converter. For what I'm asking, I think it's a fairly good pen. But for $55-60 after tax, shipping, and the converter, no way.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Honeybadgers

• pen2paper

• dapprman

Tbh I find the Logo in the smooth matte finish (what Lamy seems to call "cyclical matte") to be substantially better in fit and finish compared to the ones with the brushed finish. On that one, the cap finial and tail-piece are made of a sturdier black ABS material - I find it much better than the horribly cheap plated plastic on the brushed Logo. There also seems to be less play in the cap compared to the brushed finish one. I fully agree that the CP1 feels more premium in hand than any version of the Logo, though. The CP1 also looks more refined. The Logo, with its strange plastic end pieces and half-hidden/half-exposed ribbed grip when capped, has all the aesthetic refinement of a tin can.

Personally, I use my "tin can" as a utility beater pen, especially on hiking and backpacking trips. In that role it does well- if the pen gets dropped on rocks and the nib is bent, spare nibs are easy to get; the metal-to-metal section-barrel joint is reassuringly solid; despite the play in the clip it works very well in securing the pen to backpack straps, nylon cords, and the like; the lugs on the ABS tail cap help keep this otherwise slick pen from slipping out of thin pen sleeves. Perfect pen for the outdoors. Not so cool for dressed-up office hours. Horses for courses.

It helps that I got my Logo for the equivalent of US$30 with converter included - though that was because I got it from a local department store where I had member discounts.

I can certainly see how users preferring fine or EF nibs would find the Z50 nibs frustrating. I haven't had that problem, only because my personal nib preferences run more to the broad side (the wet 'n fat Lamy 2000 medium nib is my idea of an ideal work nib, for instance). For folks in EFland, well... good luck.

I have the matte finish one with the not too attractive black ends too and the fit and finish is pretty solid for the £29 (including converter and shipping) which I paid.

I agree on the cap though. It rotates relatively easily and doesn't give the greatest seal. My nib has been no problem but I only use their 1.1 nibs so width control isn't an issue.

Edited by ScarletWoodland

Lamy's nib consistency really only seems to be a problem with the EF and F these days. I concur that my M, B, and stubs are just fine.

Ironically, the wing sung 6359 (an al star knockoff) has a really, really good EF nib that is interchangable. So my CP1 has one of those on it.

I'm kind of stoked for the CP1 with an oblique medium 14k.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The Logo is great for ink testing duties and for novices to borrow. I find them simple and robust. thumbup.gif

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

The Logo is great for ink testing duties and for novices to borrow. I find them simple and robust. thumbup.gif

Ditto this, noting was so pleasantly surprised with the super smooth fine, I then bought the one with black ends, only available in EF, semi-expecting the dry EF experience others have noted. Nope, it's so surprisingly smooth, I convinced myself to try next tier up, the better finish CP-1, & entirely let-down. Yes it's very nice, but so heavy for its thin body there's no mistaking I can't write with it. It's un-inked & would have returned it, except family loss took me beyond return allotment.

All that long story to suggest Logo may be a great fit & performer for some of us... I just took it out & scribbled to reaffirm my good experience isn't overstated. But I certainly understand where it's features wouldn't work for others. Same with CP-1. Time will tell if Logo's cap doesn't measure up. But the fine point's remained sturdy rolling loose in my daily bag for a couple of months.

All that long story to suggest Logo may be a great fit & performer for some of us... I just took it out & scribbled to reaffirm my good experience isn't overstated. But I certainly understand where it's features wouldn't work for others. Same with CP-1. Time will tell if Logo's cap doesn't measure up. But the fine point's remained sturdy rolling loose in my daily bag for a couple of months.

All my Logo's are holding up well. Great for diary use. The CP1 is a bit slim for my liking.

Unposted, I find the length to be perfect (shorter then CP1) and the grip is wider than CP1.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

$40 and Lamy can't even throw in a converter?

If people may plan to use cartridges, why include a part and make people pay for something that they really don't want?

If people may plan to use cartridges, why include a part and make people pay for something that they really don't want?

Because market competition exists, and making yourself less competitive is a bad thing?

One reason the pilot metro is such an attractive pen is that it comes with a converter at such a low price.

and dozens of pens in the price range come with one. Diplomat traveler and magnum, TWSBI eco & 580 (self fillers) the worthless monza, everything made by online... There are a few that still don't, like the faber castell ambition (my loom came with one) or the platinum balance, but on the whole, it's just greedy to throw an extra six dollar fee onto a really cheaply made converter. They're the six dollar movie soda of fountain pen accessories. insanely cheap to produce and high profit margins.

If they added an extra dollar to the cost of every FP they make but included a converter, they'd be making money. Those converters don't cost a buck to make.

Edited by Honeybadgers

The brushed finish hangs onto ink like a nightmare. I expect the other finish would be better, but this one is annoying to wipe the ink from. I'd never use this pen for ink testing. I use my CP1 for that all the time.

All my Logo's are holding up well. Great for diary use. The CP1 is a bit slim for my liking.

Unposted, I find the length to be perfect (shorter then CP1) and the grip is wider than CP1.

unposted length is only 5mm shorter than the CP1. it's 4% longer. You probably don't notice that. Posted, the CP1 is a hair shorter

it's also not much thinner, but the grip section itself is noticeably thinner since the cap goes around it in the CP1 and over it in the logo.

Weight wise, the CP1 is 1.2 grams lighter

Apart from the feel at the section, the two pens really are apples and apples in terms of dimensions (I can understand why some people may prefer the logo's grip, I honestly was attracted to it for that reason) but good lord are the plastic bits at the end unacceptably cheap feeling, nasty chromed plastic that is everywhere in our lives these days. And the cap wobble. I probably could live with the cap wobble and clip wiggle if the ends were made the same way as the CP1. The CP1's snap lugs at the back are utter perfection for posting a pen.

Because market competition exists, and making yourself less competitive is a bad thing?

Yes, not making people pay for what they don't want is a good thing.

And for the price of a box of Lamy cartridges you can get that converter if you want it.

The brushed finish hangs onto ink like a nightmare. I expect the other finish would be better, but this one is annoying to wipe the ink from. I'd never use this pen for ink testing. I use my CP1 for that all the time.

Mine are all matt and the plastic ends look fine with the plain finish.

IIRC, the chrome covered ends of the brushed finish tend to peel off.

I do have the black CP1 paired with a black nib but I tend to prefer the Logo. The grip of the Logo, IMO, is better.

In the UK, the Logo is just over half the price of the CP1. As both are very similar, the CP1 brings nothing extra to the table for the increase.

Engineer :

One reason the pilot metro is such an attractive pen is that it comes with a converter at such a low price.

Yes, the Metro includes a terrible squeeze converter that holds an infinitesimal amount of ink and makes it impossible to check the ink level. First thing I did was purchase a CON-40. So now I have a useful converter and a not-useful one I paid for anyway.

I simply budget a converter at the time I purchase a Lamy pen. Or, since I have some other Lamy pens, I might simply use a converter from another pen.

Lamy's pens starting at the Studio price point and above include the converter.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Yes, not making people pay for what they don't want is a good thing.

And for the price of a box of Lamy cartridges you can get that converter if you want it.

But the pen's in the price range of others that include the converter. If they knocked the price down to match, maybe.

I just don't like companies trying to nickel and dime customers. A C/C pen should come with a converter. They cost almost nothing to produce, and selling them secondhand for six or seven bucks is just not acceptable (I think every sailor, pilot, and platinum should come with a converter to, they're even worse not including one in pens that cost north of $50.)

You are assuming that including the converter with every pen will only raise the cost to everyone $1 or $2.

I assume the opposite, that the cost of every pen will go up at least the $5 or $6 plus the cost to add the Converter into the box/pen.

I prefer the pricing structure as it is.
Since I only use one, say Safari, at a time, I can move the converter to the pen I am using and save the $.

Edited by Glenn-SC

This thread is reminding me of the original reason I chose the matte Logo instead of the brushed one.

The deal breaker for me was the roughness of the brushed finish, which kept scraping in an exceedingly annoying way against my fingernails. The slightest contact against the backs or sides of a fingernail produced an uncomfortable grating sensation. There's some serious nails-on-chalkboard feeling going on there.

If you like the Lamy 2000's brushed steel section, and are thinking about getting the Logo in the brushed finish - don't! The brushed finish on the Logo is much coarser than the section finish on the Lamy 2000 (the standard Makrolon + steel grip 2000, that is - I don't own the special edition all-steel 2000, so I can't speak for that one).

And yep, the brushed finish does hold on to ink stains very stubbornly. The matte one wipes clean much faster.

The Logo is great for ink testing duties and for novices to borrow. I find them simple and robust.

Ah, yes, it's great for that. My Logo is one of the few pens I'm willing to lend out to novices, since the Z50 nib is robust and so easy to find and replace. When people ask to borrow my pen, I often hand them my Logo without telling them it's a fountain pen, sit back, and enjoy watching them struggle.

(Sometimes, I wonder if I'm a bit of a sadist... :rolleyes: )

Simple and robust sums it up pretty well (the matte version anyway; the brushed version don't quite inspire similar levels of confidence.) I like to describe my Logo as my "redshirt".

Ah, yes, it's great for that. My Logo is one of the few pens I'm willing to lend out to novices, since the Z50 nib is robust and so easy to find and replace. When people ask to borrow my pen, I often hand them my Logo without telling them it's a fountain pen, sit back, and enjoy watching them struggle.

(Sometimes, I wonder if I'm a bit of a sadist... rolleyes.gif )

biggrin.png

Although if dropped, the tables could turn and 'sadist' could quickly turn to 'horrified'. tongue.png

IMO, Safari and Logo are the workhorse of the range.

Engineer :

If Honeybadgers had first & only purchased CP-1, & I Logo, this thread wouldn't be here (smile)

Ultimately Lamy has variety to choose comfortable pen fit & action for most people at modest prices.

Safari has been my worker-bee for decades, so the utter lark purchasing Logo & finding such good fit + super smooth was complete surprise.

At a history conference yesterday a presenter needed a pen for notes, & with no worries offered my Logo. Their comments on its looks & performance were positive too.

At a history conference yesterday a presenter needed a pen for notes, & with no worries offered my Logo. Their comments on its looks & performance were positive too.

thumbup.gif

Engineer :