Robust Receptacle For Ink?

Eoghan2009

I love doing my Bible studies in a good Red n Black notebook. Each book I choose a different ink and pen and nib. This excursion into the Psalms I opted for a 1.5mm calligraphy/italic nib on a lovely blue Lamy Al-star. I used Noodler's X-Feather a particular favourite of mine. I only had 1/3 of a bottle but that should have been enough for the 24 Psalms that were the object of my study.

Imagine my horror when the bottle dropped and cracked the lid. The lid flew off and I now only have 1/2 inch or less of ink left. I cleaned up as best I could but this is a Noodler's Bulletproof ink we are talking about. Fortunately my daughter is at College so I was able to clean up without being observed (or criticised). In her absence her room becomes my office.

I now don't think I have enough ink to finish the study but wonder about the wisdom of replacing the X-feather. Being a little OCD (?) I feel compelled to finish in the same ink and nib. I have had problems with Noodler bottles before and it always seems to be the lid that fragments.

If I do replace it what do you recommend as a robust receptacle for decanting the noodlers into? I am thinking of using a Diamine 80ml bottle. They seem to be a bit sturdier and have never broken on me.

What do others use? Tried searching for inkwells but only found elegant dip-wells on EBAY.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Houston

• lapis

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

Sorry to hear about your splatter.

To answer your question: Nalgene bottles. Hands down. See discussion here. So reliable I routinely throw them in my shoulder bag. The material won't break, and the ones I use have tops that are better designed than any OEM ink bottle.

You can google "Nalgene HDPE Wide Mouth" and get lots of options. Some will be listed in ounces, others in ml. 1 oz = 30 ml (ish).

Hope the Psalms don't cause any further stains!

Edited by Houston

weimaraner? Thanks

Close. Vizsla. Both are Germanic pointers, but the Vizsla is a Hungarian pointer -- the hunting dog of the Hungarian royal house of Magyar, so they're sometimes called Magyar Vizslas. Like the Weim, Vizslas are always a single colour -- but copper/caramel instead of the Weims' blue-ish grey. They're also about 30% smaller than Weims, and have a reputation for being slightly less protective, more people-bonded...but, like all these things, there's as much variation within the breed as there is between breeds. We spent a long while deciding between the Weim, Vizsla and German Shorthaired Pointer. All beautiful. Next pup will be a Heinz 57, though!

Close. Vizsla. Both are Germanic pointers, but the Vizsla is a Hungarian pointer -- the hunting dog of the Hungarian royal house of Magyar, so they're sometimes called Magyar Vizslas. Like the Weim, Vizslas are always a single colour -- but copper/caramel instead of the Weims' blue-ish grey. They're also about 30% smaller than Weims, and have a reputation for being slightly less protective, more people-bonded...but, like all these things, there's as much variation within the breed as there is between breeds. We spent a long while deciding between the Weim, Vizsla and German Shorthaired Pointer. All beautiful. Next pup will be a Heinz 57, though!

My in-laws have had a succession of Vizslas. Nice dogs, but also not rocket scientists. Although smarter than my other brother in-law's coon hound mix. Dusenberg was a sweetie, but dumb as a rock.... (I used to think that if you could drop kick a 95 lb. dog across the room, he'd come back for more because it was attention -- and I've been told that coon hounds can be pets or hunting dogs but are not smart enough to be both...).

If I were to ever break down and get a dog, I'd one that was smart. Something like a border collie mix or other herding dog. (Not a full blood border collie, though -- if they are given stuff to do they FIND stuff to do... like trying to herd cars going up the street).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Border collie sounds good but I'd get a Lab for sure.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I would not use the lab for ink storage, too much drooling.;)

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I discovered my prescription bottles are water-tight. I was going to use it to store the ink in the bottle where the opening isn't wide enough for one of my pens.

I would not use the lab for ink storage, too much drooling. ;)

Ohhh.... I never thought of that. But I'm cautious 'cause I always filled my pens with ink on the desk, not on the floor. But even up in the air, there was always lab hair up there. I had to vacuum the whole house every single day.

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

If someone forced me to get a dog, I'd get something smart (relatively speaking) and calm, like a Newfoundlander.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

If someone forced me to get a dog, I'd get something smart (relatively speaking) and calm, like a Newfoundlander.

I like all kinds of dogs, but I've never had a particular attraction to high intelligence, per se. Trainability -- or biddability, in the jargon -- for sure. I don't mean daft dogs that are hard to train. But when you get past the amount of intelligence required to follow a command, and into the territory of debating the command, I feel like I've got lots of animals in my life who do that. Mostly human. Heck, I question *myself* more than enough. :wallbash: :gaah: I don't want my dog second-guessing me, too!

But, like I said: Nalgene bottles. :lticaptd:

So, uh, this may be a sign of addiction, but I have been known to use old (clean) prescription bottles. They seem to be airtight and the older I get, the more of them I have around.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

fpn_1553164580__nalgene_bone215.jpg

1 ounce Nalgene bottle

craft stores sometimes have them

drop proof

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

Good job showing the bottle that we have all talked about. These bottles are reliable.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Call me a weirdo. What I do use is small Vanilla flavour bottles (about ~10-20 ml capacity, can't be sure, don't have one around now, though I usually do) from Carrefour (not sure if they are Vahiné or Carrefour, I think the last). First I use up the Vanilla essence (yummy!) then wash the bottle clean and use it as a travel ink container. Have been going around with me through half of Africa, have been on my brief case for years, have gone on my hand luggage (I like to travel light) on unaccountable intercontinental flights... never a problem. They are plastic, not too thick, not too weak, and sepia brown tinted, which I suspect is to protect the contents from light (and suits me for ink too). But then I must say, I often travel with a 1ml. syringe and needle as well to refill cartridges or converters. Mouth is wide enough for usual piston fillers, and the syringe ensures I can make it good to the last drop. Small enough to fit in any pocket/pouch, big enough to hold a few refills. Not bad. Cheap. And I get to enjoy the Vanilla beforehand :P

Edited by txomsy

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

No weirdo. What I use all the time are the Nalgene ½ oz.= 15 ml bottles. As said, perfect. Fit everywhere, even 2-3 in my jeans or Jackets pockets. For short trips w/ or w/o my bike, they're big enough, too. Anything larger is unnecessary, but those do exist.

Those Nalgene bottles looks like the same thing Blackstone uses for their inks.

I am one for using a 80ml Diamine bottle, they have sturdy caps (Noodler's caps are quite well known to break easily), and have a wider bottom that makes it a bit more difficult to knock over, or off of tables. As it sounds like you are using this at a desk, and not out and about, I am not too worried about it being indestructible in the wild. The Diamine bottles are quite nice to look at too, I prefer the original ones to the newer ones, but as it's basically the same bottle with a different textured design and lid, it's not a functional change!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA