Pilot Iroshizuku 100Th Anniversary Limited Edition Inks

Sehn

Hello there!

I thought it might be helpful to share pictures of the new Iroshizuku 100th Anniversary inks. I got my hands on Hoteison, Jurojin, Benzaiten and Bishamonten. I'm waiting for the other inks of this line to arrive (should take around 2 weeks) and will then - if you're interested in it - upload other pictures.

Hoteison

Hotei (布袋) is the god of fortune, guardian of the children, patron of diviners and barmen, and also the god of popularity. He is depicted as a fat, smiling, bald man with a curly moustache. He always appears half naked, as his clothes are not wide enough to cover his enormous belly. He blessed the Chinese, and they nicknamed him "Cho-Tei-Shi" or "Ho-Tei-Shi", which means ‘bag of old clothes’.

post-120632-0-64485700-1552862686_thumb.jpegpost-120632-0-52674900-1552862674_thumb.jpg

Jurojin

Considered the incarnation of the southern pole star (南極星 "nankyokusei"), Juroujin (寿老人) is the god of the elderly and longevity in Japanese Buddhist mythology. It is said that the legendary Juroujin is based on a real person who lived in ancient times. He was approximately 1.82 meters tall with a very long head. Besides his distinctive skull, he is represented with a long white beard, riding a deer and is often also accompanied by a 1500 year old crane and a tortoise, as symbols of his affinity with long lives. In addition, he is usually represented under a peach tree, as the fruit of this tree is considered, by Chinese Taoism and corroborated by scientists, able to prolong life as it has antioxidant properties. In his hand he holds a cane and a book or a scroll. The wisdom of the world remains written in its pages. Jurojin enjoys rice and wine, and is a very cheerful figure.

post-120632-0-83855000-1552862361_thumb.jpegpost-120632-0-10568000-1552862388_thumb.jpg

Benzaiten

Benzaiten's (弁才天 or 弁財天) origin is found in Hinduism, as she comes from the Hindu goddess Saraswati. While being the only female Fukujin in the modern grouping of seven Fukujin, she is named in various ways: Benzaiten (弁才天), Benten (弁天), Bentensama (弁天様), or Benzaitennyo (弁才天女). When she was adapted from Buddhism, she was given the attributes of financial fortune, talent, beauty and music among others. In many occasions her figure appears in the "Torii" (entrance of the temples). It is common to see her in the Japanese temples. She is represented as a smart, beautiful woman with all the aforementioned attributes. She carries a biwa, a Japanese traditional lute-like instrument and is normally accompanied by a white snake. She is the patron of artists, writers, dancers, and geisha, among others.

post-120632-0-70530100-1552862419_thumb.jpegpost-120632-0-67693100-1552862433_thumb.jpg

Bishamonten

Bishamonten's(毘沙門天) origins can be traced back to Hinduism, but he has been adapted by the Japanese culture. He comes from the Hindu god Kubera and is also known by the name "Vaisravana" from Hindu culture.

He is the god of fortune in war and battles, also associated with authority and dignity. He is the protector of those who follow the rules and behave appropriately. As the patron of fighters, he is represented dressed in armour and a helmet, carrying a pagoda in his left hand. He also acts as protector of holy sites and important places and holds a spear in his right hand to fight against the evil spirits. He is usually depicted in illustrations with a hoop of fire.

post-120632-0-26368100-1552862848_thumb.jpegpost-120632-0-12522900-1552862871_thumb.jpg

--------

Hope this helps some of you since when I ordered them I didn't really find too much pictures! If you have any questions regarding the inks please ask.

Regards

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• A Smug Dill

• Sehn

• tamiya

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you so much for sharing the writing samples! Much appreciated.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thank you so much for sharing these. I must admit, even though I am a huge fan of Pilot Iro inks, these do not tempt me. But, who knows how my tastes may change in the future.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I saw these inks at the 2019 Long Island Pen Show this weekend.

I had my trusty Col-o-ring Ink Testing Book on me, so I compared my ink swatches to the 100th anniversary line swatches on the Fountain Pen Hospital table. I focused my comparison to the new inks shades along side the swatches of Pilot Iroshizuku bottles that I currently own.

I really didn’t see a huge difference in the colors that would make me want to buy anything new.

With that said, Pilot inks are one of my favorites and if I didn’t have any I would have purchased some.

I also inked my Lamy Dark Lilac Pen with its matching Lamy ink of the same name this weekend. That shade of purple stills feel unique and fresh, I am still glad I purchased a 50ml bottle and also multiple packs of cartridges of Dark Lilac, I didn’t feel the same way about the 100th anniversary line. Yet

Thank you very much for showing this new inks. The line-up of Iroshizuki always interests me and I couldn´t find anything substantial on the new colors yet.

why are these Iros so earthy & subdued? :(

Iroshizuku inks first caught my eye for having pop & bringing brightness to my day... these make me glum.

why are these Iros so earthy & subdued? :(

From another recent writing sample posted on FPN, I thought Bishamonten looked rather similar to Lamy (2018 LE) Vibrant Pink, which I wouldn't say is earthy and subdued.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

From another recent writing sample posted on FPN, I thought Bishamonten looked rather similar to Lamy (2018 LE) Vibrant Pink, which I wouldn't say is earthy and subdued.

nah, it's pink like a blushing geisha... not like Lamy which kicks your eyeballs in with fluoro ballerina pointes :D

might be thinking Neon Coral pink though :)

Excluding Hotei-son, I actually prefer their other limited edition like the Edo-Murasaki. Shimbasi-Iro and Fukugawa-Nezu.

Thank you! My wallet also says thanks as none of them do much for me: I prefer Vert Empire over Hoteison, Ajisai over Jurojin, and I don't like pinks.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks for posting these. Of the four, only Hoteison would interest me, the others just seem rather dull.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thank you for reviewing! I was tempted to get one simply for the limited edition, but the ink colors aren't that interesting to me. Thanks for saving my wallet :)

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

You're welcome! Glad I could help in your decisions. I think you're all perfectly right, so far they aren't really vibrant colors, they look sort of like pastel colors. They're subdued and feel like for example iroshizuku shin-kai; lovely color, but not as "popping" as for example kon peki. However, there can be seen beauty in that, too. For example, the Benzaiten really grew on me the last couple days, even though I never imagined using a pink ink for anything serious. I'm excited for the other inks and will update you all.

Great job and thank you for sharing!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Recently tested the Hotei-son and surprisingly pleased that it has some water resistance to it.

Thank you very much for showing this new inks. The line-up of Iroshizuki always interests me and I couldn´t find anything substantial on the new colors yet.

I really didn’t see a huge difference in the colors that would make me want to buy anything new.

+1

For UK prices, it would have to be something really special. Probably, more VFM if buying in/from Japan.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.