Converter For Mb 221P: What Will Work?

Houston

Hello, MB mavens:

I have a lovely MB 221P, which is the c/c version of the 221. It writes like a dream and was a gift from my father many years ago.

However, I've never had the right converter for it. I've long used an unbranded converter which was the only one in my stash that came close to fitting it. And it works, but it doesn't fit at all precisely. If I'm not careful with the pen, it will leak from the imprecise join between the nipple and the mouth.

I want to buy the proper converter, or at least one that will fit properly.

But I've always been hesitant to just buy an MB converter, online, because of the converter in the picture below.

That converter -- which is branded Montblanc -- does not fit my 221.

So, how do I know what converter to buy?

All help gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

fpn_1552828999__montblanc_converter_that

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Houston

• omarcenaro

• nura

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For my 221P and black version (both from my grandfather) I bought the Montblanc convertor but both of mine have ridges on the bottom and are gold colored.post-141133-0-05744700-1552841651_thumb.jpgpost-141133-0-21968500-1552840378.jpg

post-141133-0-51680400-1552840458_thumb.jpgin my 221Ppost-141133-0-33642300-1552840439_thumb.jpg I see they are for sale on Amazon.

The convertor in your image is the one I think for a 144. Only that type fits my 144P. I don't think Montblanc makes that convertor any more, so lets us know where you found that one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ozzy

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Edited by omarcenaro

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

For my 221P and black version (both from my grandfather) I bought the Montblanc convertor but both of mine have ridges on the bottom and are gold colored.attachicon.gif Marcenaro convertor1.jpgattachicon.gif MB convertor.jpg

attachicon.gif Marcenaro 221.jpgin my 221Pattachicon.gif Marcenaro 221P.jpg I see they are for sale on Amazon.

The convertor in your image is the one I think for a 144. Only that type fits my 144P. I don't think Montblanc makes that convertor any more, so lets us know where you found that one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ozzy

Happy St. Patrick's Day

That's incredibly helpful, Ozzy. Thank you.

In that case, I'll buy the converter you've shown, and if anyone needs the converter I've got -- for the 144 -- I'm happy to send it for the cost of postage and PIF goodwill. As I don't have a 144, it doesn't have value to me.

Many thanks, again.

Houston, I would love to purchase your convertor. I sent an email through FPN to you with my email.

Edited by omarcenaro

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

Houston, I would love to purchase your convertor. I sent an email through FPN to you with my email.

No worries. Happy to give it a good home where it will be used.

Houston is my sons name. I looked at my spare convertors but I don't have any more MB's if not I would sent to you as well.

Edited by omarcenaro

The new converter arrived yesterday. I installed it in my 221P and inked up, this morning. It fits and works as well as if it were specified for the original.

Many thanks to Ozzy for the practical knowledge.

As an aside: Montblanc customer service were wholly unhelpful. They advised that "All other Fountain Pen [other than the Classique] ... are not compatible with the converter. Montblanc does not design converter for any other writing instrument apart from the aforementioned, hence it will not fit any other writing instrument."

Although I understand the position taken, I still find it somewhat disappointing that Montblanc is both unable to supply a replacement original part, and unable to offer practical advice about a workable alternative.
Happily, this is a case of the FPN community coming to the rescue when the manufacturer is unable.

I just checked our mail today Saturday 30 March 2019 and I received the Montblanc convertor. Mr. Houston, you are too kind sending it to me from the UK. It fits perfectly! Now my Montblanc 144R has an authentic MB convertor, making it complete. Thank you for the kind word in your note and again for you generosity sir.

Cheer,

Ozzy

• 7 months later...

For my 221P and black version (both from my grandfather) I bought the Montblanc convertor but both of mine have ridges on the bottom and are gold colored.

Hi Ozzy1,Houston,

Is this converter to be used as screw fitting or press fitting?

I was having doubt as the converter mouth seems to have threads. Or is it ridged as you have described?

Thanks in advance.