The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Converter For Mb 221P: What Will Work?

montblanc 221 221p converter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Houston

Houston

Purple Pen Eater

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 13:27

Hello, MB mavens:

I have a lovely MB 221P, which is the c/c version of the 221. It writes like a dream and was a gift from my father many years ago. 

However, I've never had the right converter for it. I've long used an unbranded converter which was the only one in my stash that came close to fitting it. And it works, but it doesn't fit at all precisely. If I'm not careful with the pen, it will leak from the imprecise join between the nipple and the mouth. 

I want to buy the proper converter, or at least one that will fit properly.

But I've always been hesitant to just buy an MB converter, online, because of the converter in the picture below. 

That converter -- which is branded Montblanc -- does not fit my 221.

So, how do I know what converter to buy?

All help gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

fpn_1552828999__montblanc_converter_that

Sponsored Content

#2 Ozzy1

Ozzy1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 16:56

For my 221P and black version (both from my grandfather) I bought the Montblanc convertor but both of mine have ridges on the bottom and are gold colored.Marcenaro convertor1.jpg MB convertor.jpg

Marcenaro 221.jpg in my 221PMarcenaro 221P.jpg I see they are for sale on Amazon.

The convertor in your image is the one I think for a 144. Only that type fits my 144P. I don't think Montblanc makes that convertor any more, so lets us know where you found that one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ozzy

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Edited by omarcenaro, 17 March 2019 - 17:15.

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

#3 Houston

Houston

Purple Pen Eater

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:55

For my 221P and black version (both from my grandfather) I bought the Montblanc convertor but both of mine have ridges on the bottom and are gold colored.attachicon.gif Marcenaro convertor1.jpgattachicon.gif MB convertor.jpg

attachicon.gif Marcenaro 221.jpgin my 221Pattachicon.gif Marcenaro 221P.jpg I see they are for sale on Amazon.

The convertor in your image is the one I think for a 144. Only that type fits my 144P. I don't think Montblanc makes that convertor any more, so lets us know where you found that one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ozzy

Happy St. Patrick's Day

That's incredibly helpful, Ozzy. Thank you. 

In that case, I'll buy the converter you've shown, and if anyone needs the converter I've got -- for the 144 -- I'm happy to send it for the cost of postage and PIF goodwill. As I don't have a 144, it doesn't have value to me. 

Many thanks, again.

#4 Ozzy1

Ozzy1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:10

Houston, I would love to purchase your convertor. I sent an email through FPN to you with my email.

Edited by omarcenaro, 17 March 2019 - 18:13.

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

#5 Houston

Houston

Purple Pen Eater

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:15

Houston, I would love to purchase your convertor. I sent an email through FPN to you with my email.

No worries. Happy to give it a good home where it will be used. 

#6 Ozzy1

Ozzy1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 18:20

Houston is my sons name. I looked at my spare convertors but I don't have any more MB's if not I would sent to you as well.

Edited by omarcenaro, 17 March 2019 - 18:26.

#7 Houston

Houston

Purple Pen Eater

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:30

The new converter arrived yesterday. I installed it in my 221P and inked up, this morning. It fits and works as well as if it were specified for the original.

Many thanks to Ozzy for the practical knowledge. 

As an aside: Montblanc customer service were wholly unhelpful. They advised that "All other Fountain Pen [other than the Classique] ... are not compatible with the converter. Montblanc does not design converter for any other writing instrument apart from the aforementioned, hence it will not fit any other writing instrument."

Although I understand the position taken, I still find it somewhat disappointing that Montblanc is both unable to supply a replacement original part, and unable to offer practical advice about a workable alternative.

Happily, this is a case of the FPN community coming to the rescue when the manufacturer is unable.

#8 Ozzy1

Ozzy1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2019 - 23:56

I just checked our mail today Saturday 30 March 2019 and I received the Montblanc convertor. Mr. Houston, you are too kind sending it to me from the UK. It fits perfectly! Now my Montblanc 144R has an authentic MB convertor, making it complete. Thank you for the kind word in your note and again for you generosity sir.

Cheer,

Ozzy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, 221, 221p, converter

Sponsored Content

|