Stylos / Ink Pencils Show & Tell

WhiteStarPens

At the Bristol Pen Show this year I picked up this beauty from none other than Steve Hull himself. The Stylograph comes boxed with an ageing eyedropper or pipette and filling instructions (see photos).

It says on the pink cardboard box:

MADE IN ENGLAND

The "THANET" STYLOGRAPH

GUARANTEED A PERFECT WRITING INSTRUMENT

BLINKO & SONS Stationers and Booksellers,

27, QUEEN STREET, RAMSGATE.

It is my first stylo and I'm rather smitten, so much so that I'd like to get my hands on one of the brightly coloured lever filled examples made by Conway Stewart.

I thought I'd show off the "Thanet" because Stylos seem to be very underrated and I've not been able to locate many posts about them. This post hopefully rectifies that!

I would like to ask other collectors and users of Stylographs to share their own photos, opinions and experiences too.

I look forward to seeing what the forum has to offer!

W.S.P

post-124723-0-64281700-1552824864_thumb.jpg

post-124723-0-27814600-1552824874_thumb.jpg

post-124723-0-40830900-1552824885_thumb.jpg

W.S.P

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WhiteStarPens

• doriath19

• quilluser

• SimonGuitton

Im intrigued by the line use a good stylo ink, not a fountain pen ink. I wonder how they differed.

Instagram @inkysloth

Yes Inkysloth, I wondered about that too. Perhaps it is a thicker ink? Maybe a company like Stephens made the appropriate ink?

I would certainly like to find out and, if possible, find a modern equivalent. One of Histories Mysteries until someone comes across a bottle!

As yet, I have only dipped the Thanet and it wrote for two words, but it was quite pleasant and distinctive.

W.S.P

W.S.P

Nice vintage example of a stylograph!

A more saturated kind of ink works well in stylographs that have a thick line. For thinner stylographs, fountain pen ink can work well.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 2 weeks later...

I found this Stylo at an antique store yesterday. The inscription reads Paramount Gravity Stylo MFD USA Pat 149.. there are a couple more numbers that I cant make out. Its made of hard rubber and is eye dropper fill. I have it filled with Quink Blue Black and it works but the ink flow is a lot heavier than Id like. Id be interested if anyone knows of a better ink type that would work better. Also would be interested to know more about the Stylo; my searching hasnt revealed much.

Im guessing by the plain barrel and plain metal clip that it wasnt a high end pen.

Capped its 4 3/16 long, and 5 1/2 posted. The cap is a slip cap.

post-147663-0-60943900-1554036293_thumb.jpg

post-147663-0-11678500-1554036365_thumb.jpg

What a great find, congratulations!

If you're willing to experiment, have a go with some different ink manufacturers like Waterman, Pelikan or J. Herbin. I'd be very hesitant to use the thicker dip pen appropriate inks due to the risk of corroding the needle.

I wonder if some of the more artisan ink makers, like de Atramentis or Noodlers, would be able to create a Stylo-specific ink?

Keep them coming folks!

W.S.P

W.S.P

Thanks for sharing this! I didn't even know what a Stylo was before seeing this post. Very interesting.

doriath19, I'm glad that this thread was of some value! Is it something you'd be interested in adding to you accumulation?

(N.B I'll give an update when I find a Conway Ink Pencil!)

W.S.P

W.S.P

doriath19, I'm glad that this thread was of some value! Is it something you'd be interested in adding to you accumulation?

(N.B I'll give an update when I find a Conway Ink Pencil!)

W.S.P

It is something I will definitely keep my eye out for now that I know they exist. My pen budget is approximately $0 as I am currently back in school. But in the future who knows....

Hi Guys

I've just purchased this item. It seems to be in very good condition except that the bulb of the dropper is no good. Easily fixed and I can't wait to try it out. I seem to have become a fan of Onoto.

post-148385-0-84936000-1554678273_thumb.jpg

Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit

Thanks quilluser, Onoto is a brand I am very fond of; both the vintage and modern incarnations.

I've only seen eyedropper, button and lever filled ink pencils, I wonder if de la Rue made a plunger filled one?

Do let us know how it writes!

W.S.P

Edited by WhiteStarPens

W.S.P

Hi

Yes they did make a plunger fill ink pencil. I have seen a red one dated 1926 for sale.

Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit

• 4 months later...

I have two BCHR Conway Stewart ink pencils to show you today. The first is a boxed Universal Stylo #91, made during the Second World War. Unfortunately, I need a replacement needle for this one as the original has corroded. Inside was a weird orange-red ink with a ghoulish green sheen, though I doubt it looked that back in 1940! It is eyedropper filled and is rather a chunky little thing. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement needle, I'd be most grateful.

The second stylo does work, as you can see. It is a button filling #100 (yes there were two C.S 100s!). It writes O.K, but the needle has seen so much use that it has worn flat at a 45 degree angle. It's pretty hit and miss, so not all that handy or convenient these days, but I'm sure it would have been superb in its day. Again, it's from the second world war period, but I believe they appeared during the 1930s with a ball clip and available in the marble colours C.S did so well. The ink, by the way is R&K Verdura and I've compared this rather large stylo with my trusty green hatch #58 Mk I.

Thanks once again for all your pictures and thoughts, I look forward to seeing more of these quirky writing instruments soon.

All the Best,

W.S.P

post-124723-0-17746200-1567938089.jpg

post-124723-0-79870800-1567938102.jpg

post-124723-0-55557800-1567938121.jpg

post-124723-0-35449100-1567938148_thumb.jpg

post-124723-0-74328700-1567938166_thumb.jpg

post-124723-0-28167200-1567938186.jpg

post-124723-0-50702600-1567938198.jpg

W.S.P

• 2 months later...

Mabie Todd Cygnet Self Filling Stylo Pen

Just acquired this from an eBay auction. I was lucky no one was bidding. It is in almost new condition. With a little cleaning and a new sac, it now writes and functions very nicely. The material is a very nice marbled celluloid (or maybe casein?).

Can’t find any specific info on this model — anyone know anything about it or when it was made?
I’m wondering if the writing tip should be further out. In most photos of stylographic pens I've seen, the tip is further out than this one, which is hardly visible. But it does write fine.

post-26009-0-92502900-1574491452_thumb.jpg

post-26009-0-76114600-1574491462_thumb.jpg

post-26009-0-81297000-1574491472_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

It's been a while, but I found a Red Dwarf Stylo, first made by J. Kearney & Co in the early 1910s.

This is the shorter, fatter variety with an accomodation clip added after purchase.

I've heard Sir Winston Churchill ordered 6 of the mottled red/ black ones in the 1930s. He had one for blue and one for red. It's a fascinating thought that some of his books, newspaper articles and speeches were written and edited using one of these humble eye-droppers. He had other writing instruments of course, but I can see why these appealed to him - a super writer!

I look forward to seeing more J. Kearney products on this page in future, they're worth shouting about.

IMG_20200518_111739__01.jpg

W.S.P

Thanks, WhiteStarPens, for keeping this thread updated. I have enjoyed seeing what you and others have shared here!

I've got an old Ink O Graph around here somewhere. I'll post a photo once I dig it out.

Thanks, WhiteStarPens, for keeping this thread updated. I have enjoyed seeing what you and others have shared here!

My pleasure, I'll have an ink-view Onoto Self-Filling Stylograph ready in the not too distant!

W.S.P

• 3 weeks later...

As a prelude to the Onoto, here's another universal 91 from the 1940s. Conway Stewart switched manufacturing from pens to more urgent goods for the war effort, hence the cobbled-together look I suppose. I believe Winston Churchill had several cobbled-together for him during the Second World War, so I'm glad to be in good company!

This, unlike the previous 91, actually has it's needle and works nicely. I'm rather pleased with it.

IMG_20200608_115831__01__01.jpg

W.S.P