The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wait.. That's A Twsbi? Twsbi Aurora

twsbi limited edition

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2019 - 16:40

Which TWSBI  pens use a number 6 nib..other than the  Micarta..Vac 700 and Vac 700R ?

Thanks.............

Fred

Sometimes life is not fair

Get over it

You're still here

Sponsored Content

#42 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 19:45

Which TWSBI  pens use a number 6 nib..other than the  Micarta..Vac 700 and Vac 700R ?
         Thanks.............
          Fred
Sometimes life is not fair
Get over it
You're still here

I thought the 580 did.

#43 Miskatonic

Miskatonic

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 20:56

The name of this pen *clearly* refers to the atmospheric phenomena, the aurora borealis and aurora australis, *not* "sunrise" or "dawn", and *not* the Italian pen company.

I would NOT wish to defend that argument in a lawsuit. It may very well take no inspiration at all from a current Aurora pen design but 1. It's a fountain pen. 2. The Aurora Fountain Pen Co. established the brand name associated with pens in 1919.

It would be reasonable that a person (not as expert as those on this site) could confuse a fountain pen made by TWSBI named "Aurora" with the Italian company. That's enough to force a name change for this particular model if Aurora wanted to make an issue of this.

A.A. Waterman found this out the expensive way.

#44 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,638 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 21:44

I would NOT wish to defend that argument in a lawsuit. It may very well take no inspiration at all from a current Aurora pen design but 1. It's a fountain pen. 2. The Aurora Fountain Pen Co. established the brand name associated with pens in 1919.

It would be reasonable that a person (not as expert as those on this site) could confuse a fountain pen made by TWSBI named "Aurora" with the Italian company. That's enough to force a name change for this particular model if Aurora wanted to make an issue of this.

A.A. Waterman found this out the expensive way.

Are names of products copywrightable, or must they be clearly trademarked? Can only one company make a "51 or "3003" or "149"? Does Aurora make a pen called the "Aurora"? Can you even trademark a name if it is a natural phenomenon, like "storm" or "sky" or "rain"? I don't know.

#45 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2019 - 22:08

I thought the 580 did.

Nope - the 580's nib is a little broader across its horizontal "span"  than the nibs for the Diamond Mini / Eco / Vac Mini / Classic (and Go?), but technically they're both #5, and are paired with the same feed.  There *was* a teaser photo on TWSBI's Facebook page, 2 or 3 years ago now (?), of a 580-style pen with a #6 nib - but this hasn't yet been released, if indeed they ever do.

Edited to add: here's a photo of 3 TWSBI nib units, to illustrate the difference in nib style.  From top to bottom: Diamond Mini, Vac Mini, Diamond 580.

AmB1bPB.jpg

Edited by Jamerelbe, 03 April 2019 - 22:15.

#46 Miskatonic

Miskatonic

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 22:48

Can you even trademark a name if it is a natural phenomenon, like "storm" or "sky" or "rain"? I don't know.

Trademarks, I believe, are like dissertations- the more narrow in scope, the more likely they are to succeed. So to choose your example from natural phenomenon,  Chevy had a trademark on the name "Nova" for an automobile. Chevy didn't own the name Nova (there's a PBS science series of the same name), but Kawasaki likely would have a problem if they named a motorcycle "The Nova" even though cars and motorcycles are  different. To defend their trademark, Chevy would just need to argue that it's reasonable to assume the average person might conflate the Chevy Nova automobile with a vehicle from Kawasaki with the exact same name.

I think TWSBI naming a line of pens the Aurora is a bit risky- as would naming it "The Parker" or "White Mountain"

#47 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2019 - 23:16

I think TWSBI naming a line of pens the Aurora is a bit risky-

What is the basis for your reasoning...Regulations..Precedents..Statutes........Why is it a bit risky?

Thanks.

Fred

Aurora Roman goddess Romeo and Juliet..Aurora Plastic Kits...Aurora Borealis Northern/Southern Lights..............

Edited by Freddy, 03 April 2019 - 23:17.

#48 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,638 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 00:44

Trademarks, I believe, are like dissertations- the more narrow in scope, the more likely they are to succeed. So to choose your example from natural phenomenon,  Chevy had a trademark on the name "Nova" for an automobile. Chevy didn't own the name Nova (there's a PBS science series of the same name), but Kawasaki likely would have a problem if they named a motorcycle "The Nova" even though cars and motorcycles are  different. To defend their trademark, Chevy would just need to argue that it's reasonable to assume the average person might conflate the Chevy Nova automobile with a vehicle from Kawasaki with the exact same name.

I think TWSBI naming a line of pens the Aurora is a bit risky- as would naming it "The Parker" or "White Mountain"

Ok, but no one "reasonably"conflates motorcycles with cars.

I actually wouldn't myself do what TWSBI has done here. Kind of weird, really. Almost like a middle finger to the Italian maker. Or really naive/negligent.

#49 Miskatonic

Miskatonic

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:59

What is the basis for your reasoning...Regulations..Precedents..Statutes........Why is it a bit risky?

The responsibility for protecting a trademark lies solely with the holder and if they allow several small incursions go by and decide down the road to pursue a different infringement, the precedent of not protecting their trademark previously will make it harder to do so at present. Therefore, it's in the best interest, and common practice, for trademark holders not to let even little incursions go by unchallenged. But different companies have different tolerance (and budget) for litigiousness. Apple and Disney... super litigious. You don't even look at them sideways. I have no idea about Aurora.

Ok, but no one "reasonably"conflates motorcycles with cars.

While it's true no one reasonably conflates a car called Nova and a television show of the same name (which is not about cars); a car and motorcycle are vehicles so they could be confused as being manufactured by the same company. E.g. BMW makes both cars and motorcycles, as does Honda. Kawasaki makes motorcycles, outboard motors and jet skis. The vehicles themselves may be easy to differentiate, but the companies that made them less so in the public's mind if they shared the same name.

#50 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 July 2019 - 17:43

That is a really nice looking pen. I think it's a big step up for TWSBI.

Yeah, as long as it doesn’t crack

#51 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,740 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:20

from what I'm looking at it seems to use the Classic's inner frame with an Acrylic overlay so the problem zones will be the same as any twsbi pen notably the feed collar

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, limited edition

Sponsored Content

|