The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wait.. That's A Twsbi? Twsbi Aurora

twsbi limited edition

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:07

So, lazy Sunday here and was just swiping through my IG feeds and caught a glimpse of a green acrylic pen that got me interested.

Was thinking probably an Italian manufacturer that I follo or Moonman related pen but was nicely surprised that the it came from the official TWSBI Instagram.

They are calling it the Aurora and will be a Limited Edition pen released on 18th of March (tomorrow!) so for those interested can prepare their wallet. Flat top and bottom, green swirly acrylic and a piston filler.

The price is defined though at $100 which will make this the most priciest TWSBI pen ever released CMIIW.

Here is the picture of the pen along with the TWSBI home link:

https://www.twsbi.com/

(photo courtesy of TWSBI)

fpn_1552817175__twsbi_aurora.png

Sponsored Content

#2 Andrea_R

Andrea_R

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 22:19

the model name is being the subject of a fervent discussion in the italian forum. Someone claimed Twsbi copied Aurora. Personallly I dont see any resemblance with any Aurora pen

#3 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:00

That is a really nice looking pen. I think it's a big step up for TWSBI.

#4 jchch1950

jchch1950

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:16

Aurora is a brand name but also it has a meaning in Spanish: dawn or sun rise.

#5 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:25

Is definitely a step up in design.  I like it.  The price is a little high, but I like.

I'd like to see this version with a #6 size nib, too.

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,857 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 19:48

I agree about the price.  OTOH, it is a very nice looking pen.  Too bad that it's an LE and not part of their regular lineup. 

Any clue what the size/weight is going to be?  Or if they're going to do other colors in future?  I'd love to see one of these in blue.  Or purple, or even red.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 21:17

I imagine it's lighter like their other piston fillers.  I'm glad they went in that direction instead of a Vac filler, which is too heavy for my preferences.

If the price is that high it better be made of a resin that doesn't crack.

I think it's one of their best designs, though clearly inspired by the Aurora pens, but they're not being quiet about that fact lol.

But I say it's about time someone made an affordable version of those aurora pen designs.  I love the shape of Aurora Pen sections, and not many pen manufactures use that section shape of a straight taper with a healthy flare/lip that contours well.  

This pen just jumped to a "must-have" on my list, but I'm content to wait especially because of the price, and I wouldn't mind seeing a Demonstrator version either, though this present color is fantastic.

#8 Andrea_R

Andrea_R

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 22:34

I think it's one of their best designs, though clearly inspired by the Aurora pens, but they're not being quiet about that fact lol.

it clearly isnt inspired by any Aurora pen. I dont see any resemblance

#9 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 22:51

there is a very slight resemblance in the shape of the section with the ink window, probably if they had called it the Sunrise no one would have noticed...

#10 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 23:00

it clearly isnt inspired by any Aurora pen. I dont see any resemblance

Not even a distant cousin................

Fred..

The Heart of Rock and Role....H. Lewis & The News......next selection..........

Still Crazy After All These Years..................Paul Simon

#11 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 00:35

TWSBI threads are too sharp for me. So far. I will be curious about these, if someone would care to comment on them.

#12 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 849 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:18

LOL  That is totally inspired by Aurora Optima pens.  Even TWSBI isn't trying to fool themselves on it.  

Both have a similar section shape,

Both have a similar ink window.  

Both have the same flat tops.

Both are piston fillers.

There's definitely differences, but you overzealous kooks are full of hogwash claiming it has no semblance.  I had to spit out that bunk to the side after reading such responses lol.  Italians   :rolleyes:.

I myself have been looking for an affordable version of the Aurora Optima and/or 88, and this TWSBI Aurora is right on target, and I would have thought so despite the name.

Though I also agree I'd like to see a #6 nib on it for easy replacement, but I don't mind that #5 version, which I believe is the same as that on the 580.

#13 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:41

But I say it's about time someone made an affordable version of those aurora pen designs.

• I can't see the supposed resemblance to the Aurora Optima.
  • I can't say I feel the same way about making any particular recognisable (or even iconic) design more accessible price-wise as if 'exclusivity' is a bad thing for 'the hobby'.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#14 Andrea_R

Andrea_R

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:30

LOL  That is totally inspired by Aurora Optima pens.  Even TWSBI isn't trying to fool themselves on it.  

Both have a similar section shape,

Both have a similar ink window.  

Both have the same flat tops.

Both are piston fillers.

There's definitely differences, but you overzealous kooks are full of hogwash claiming it has no semblance.  I had to spit out that bunk to the side after reading such responses lol.  Italians   :rolleyes:.

I myself have been looking for an affordable version of the Aurora Optima and/or 88, and this TWSBI Aurora is right on target, and I would have thought so despite the name.

Though I also agree I'd like to see a #6 nib on it for easy replacement, but I don't mind that #5 version, which I believe is the same as that on the 580.

Guess Ill take these as compliments.

Id suggest you take a look at pens that were actually inspired or copycat of another model.

The Extra and the Doric, the 88 and the 51, old Wancher models and the Dolcevita and the Lamy2000. 

#15 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:15

• I can't see the supposed resemblance to the Aurora Optima.
  • I can't say I feel the same way about making any particular recognisable (or even iconic) design more accessible price-wise as if 'exclusivity' is a bad thing for 'the hobby'.

It's a good thing for those with less money.

#16 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 944 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 15:03

I can see how someone can see the semblance between this and the Aurora Optima but personally I think the TWSBI is more appealing due to the patterned acrylic being applied to the whole body.

#17 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,304 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 17:11

The price is defined though at $100 which will make this the most priciest TWSBI pen ever released

Justified or Veblen goods?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#18 Andrea_R

Andrea_R

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 17:48

Justified or Veblen goods?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#19 Inker201

Inker201

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 18:56

There's definitely a semblance to the optima.  Not a copycat, but inspired.

I like it a lot.  The best looking TWSBI model I've seen.  I can't wait to pick one up.

#20 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 19:01

I can see how someone can see the semblance between this and the Aurora Optima but personally I think the TWSBI is more appealing due to the patterned acrylic being applied to the whole body.

The acrylic they used is very nice.  I looked on the TWSBI Website and the Aurora is the only pen that states it uses Acrylic.  I wonder if they used a different material this time.

It looks like a more EDC friendly Optima.  I love the Optima, but carrying around a $500 pen isn't the most EDC friendly.  I prefer something less expensive for EDC.  This TWSBI Aurora's a great Aurora alternative for such.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi, limited edition

Sponsored Content

|