The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Push Pencil Disassembly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uwula

uwula

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:13

Satisfying a curiosity here:

I gather from 'parts' pictures that the nose cone and metal band on either end of the barrel of an Esterbrook push pencil are threaded onto the barrel. For the life of me I can't unscrew either piece on my J-series pencil. I've used rubber grips--no section pliers on hand. Gently warmed the barrel, but nothing doing.

Any tips on taking these pencils apart?

Sponsored Content

#2 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 17:49

On the cone (tassie) ... at least make sure any lead is fully pushed all the way back into the inside of the barrel (use something like a long hat pin) and the part that holds the lead doesn't protrude outside the cone.  Do this even if the lead is broken off, as some lead may still be stuck in the mechanism, making it work against the cone coming away from the barrel.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#3 uwula

uwula

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 22:10

I have cleared the lead out, but I can't see how to get the jaws or collet out of the way. I figured I'd have to get the band off first and work the barrel and nose cone upward?

Thank you--

#4 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 17:53

Once you get the lead out biggrin.png  (pushed back into the barrel) put the cap back in place, hold the pencil, point up, then push the cap in, as if to expel lead out, but without  any lead.  Then nurse the gripping jaws all the way back into the cone.  That will release the cone from the pressure of the mechanism.  When you push on the cap, the jaws should open up outside the cone, and you can look in to see if there's any leftover lead still in them.  Sometimes a piece of lead will break off inside, and keep the jaws from fully compressing ...

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#5 uwula

uwula

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 21:59

Sorry, I feel like I'm being either obtuse or ham-handed. I can pinch my thumb, but I can't tuck the jaw in there. It's definitely not a problem of lead blocking the way, the collet's just too wide to slip in, surely?

If it makes any difference, this is one of the .036" lead pencils with ribbing on the (relatively) short cone. Is it possible the collet is a snugger fit on these models?

If it's just a matter of steady, tender work, I'll keep at it. I appreciate your help.

Edited by uwula, 18 March 2019 - 22:00.

#6 uwula

uwula

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 21:22

Follow-up: I borrowed a friend's .046" J to have a go at it, and it's the easiest thing in the world to take apart. I can see why you guessed there might be lead in the mechanism that kept the collet from sliding back inside the nose cone; on my friend's pencil, it slides in on its own if it isn't holding any lead.

Unfortunately, my push pencil is stuck as an 'outie.' It feeds lead fine, and I've done quite a few passes with my little hobbyist drill-bits that just fit inside it to make sure nothing was getting in the way. No dice. The jaws sit on the outside, exactly as they do when holding a stick of lead. Which is a  bit further out than the jaws on the .046" sit even when there is lead in the mechanism.

I at least feel less obtuse! Will have to have a think about it, though.

Thank you again for the help.

Edited by uwula, 21 March 2019 - 21:36.

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 22:07

I at least feel less obtuse! Will have to have a think about it, though.

Try orthonormal

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sponsored Content

|