Got A New Pen As A Gift, Unknown Model?

Clef

Greetings.
I recently got a Shaeffer fountain pen as a gift. I assume it's an old model and I can't find any info about the model anywhere on the pen; I would like to get an ink converter for it, but I would like info on the model and what sort of converter can I get for it, just to not mess up in the purchase.

Here's a picture.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/237205828598235137/556334749744889857/20190315_211407.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Clef

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clef

• BaronWulfraed

• inkstainedruth

• Ron Z

It /should/ take any standard Sheaffer converter -- given the apparent time period, that would have been a push-button or squeeze-bulb, but the later piston converter should fit.

Triumph nib -- the reference I tend to check mostly has the inlaid nib models so I can't definitively state a model.

Does the nib have markings for gold, or is it steel (I've never seen a steel Triumph nib)

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Imperial%20and%20Triumph/Imp%20Triumph%20Ref%20List.html

Best match is a Triumph nibbed 444X or 444XG (gold trim steel vs gold trim gold) {I have a Triumph nib match to the 777}

It would help to see photos of the removed barrel.

Depending on the vintage of the pen, it may or may not take a "standard" converter, unfortunately. I'm finding that out with the Skripsert pens -- apparently the modern Sheaffer twist converters do NOT fit in them correctly.

Are you certain that it even takes a cartridge or converter? Because at a quick glance, I would have thought, from the Triumph nib and the general shape of the pen, that it might be a Snorkel or a Touchdown. And not being able to see the back of the pen because of the cap doesn't help. More pictures would be helpful (I'm not a Sheaffer expert by any stretch of the imagination).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It would help to see photos of the removed barrel.

Depending on the vintage of the pen, it may or may not take a "standard" converter, unfortunately. I'm finding that out with the Skripsert pens -- apparently the modern Sheaffer twist converters do NOT fit in them correctly.

Are you certain that it even takes a cartridge or converter? Because at a quick glance, I would have thought, from the Triumph nib and the general shape of the pen, that it might be a Snorkel or a Touchdown. And not being able to see the back of the pen because of the cap doesn't help. More pictures would be helpful (I'm not a Sheaffer expert by any stretch of the imagination).

Not a 50s Touchdown or Snorkel... The only full metal body models of those (per my references) were solid gold ($100 in 1952!). All the other models had plastic barrels. Biggest give-away is the clip.

Squared clip appeared on the PFM, but again, those had plastic barrels. My sources don't show any brushed steel models until the Imperial line, starting in the 60s which accepted cartridges, had the squared/spring-loaded clip (and based upon the one I own, was available with Triumph nib in some variations, even though the norm was the inlaid nib). Those lasted into the 70s, being phased out by the Targa.

The Triumph Imperials where a mid-90s recreation, and misleadingly, had inlaid nibs... The Crest had a Triumph nib (but rounded ends a la Touchdown/Snorkel and narrow clip...)

Still don't tell us what markings are on the nib itself (steel [no marking], PdAg, Gold), but I'll stand by my "undocumented" 444X variation (Triumph nib where documentation shows just inlaid nibs).

Edited by BaronWulfraed

Whatever it is, it definitely does appear to be a c/c (cartridge/converter) fill pen. Whether it takes modern cartridges or the modern twist converter is something I can't answer.

ETA: Hopefully some of the Sheaffer experts can weigh in here.

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ah, okay. Sorry for skipping over that info.
The only marking on the nib is
"SHEAFFER
®
MADE IN U.S.A"
In this specific layout.

Edited by Clef

Steel nib then.

FYI: the current screw-piston converter (well, the one in my Balance II from 2005) WILL fit a 440 Imperial (I did not try my Triumph-nib 777 as it is currently inked using a squeeze converter), but both models were from the same era and size. The squeeze converter will even fit my old "School pen".

However, neither piston nor squeeze converters will fit a Lady Sheaffer Skripsert IX... BUT my last existing PUSH-BUTTON converter from the early 70s DOES fit that pen, and since I've now seen instructions on changing the sac in one of those I won't be throwing it away.

The pen is a Sheaffer Stylist. It was made with a couple of different nib styles. The tags that I got on some of the stuff that I got out of the Sheaffer service center referred to this as the "new point." There's a thread here on FPN about these....

The pens take both the squeeze converter and the later piston converter. Their weakest point seems to be the collar that the nib screws onto. There is a rubber doughnut inside that seals the end of the feed so that ink doesn't get back into the barrel that often hardens. Undisturbed, you should be OK.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Oh, that's it!, Thanks a lot!
So I can just get any sort of Sheaffer piston converter for it, right?, since it seems old squeeze converters are harder to find, and more expensive too.

• 1 year later...

Oh, that's it!, Thanks a lot!

So I can just get any sort of Sheaffer piston converter for it, right?, since it seems old squeeze converters are harder to find, and more expensive too.

Hola Colega!

Just today I picked up a Sheaffer Stylist that is pretty much the same as yours, save for the fact that the clip is larger. Mine came with a squeeze converter, but I tried fitting a current Sheaffer cartridge and it works fine. It's a pretty neat pen, lighter than I expected, but neat nonetheless. The conical nib is a thing of beauty!

It came out after the original Stylist model, probably late 60’s to early 70’s. The inlaid nib was the same as the late Stylist. The first nibs were reversible and not very robust: the later triumph nib was carried over and was better. It used the original Skrip cartridge and converter.

Edited by mikerph

Secundum Artem