Pelikan M101N Grey - Blue

Pennenut

tumblr_pox2rgRPCq1tl2206_540.jpg

tumblr_pox2rhmSV11tl2206_540.jpg

tumblr_pox2rhqMUv1tl2206_540.jpg

I love it!!!! I have sent the nib to retype into OM but meanwhile I have installed a fantastic vintage OM nib. The colour is much better when you have it in your hand than in the pics.

The one next to that is a design Paul Rossi made for Pelikan... or that's what the seller told me :)

“I am as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best. ”
Walt Whitman

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Glenn-SC

• Matlock

• Pennenut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the MSRP of the Grey-Blue not in line with the other M101Ns?

Yes. Not sure that makes it any less of an over-priced pen. It is after all smaller than the M200 which can be bought for 115 euro. The gold nib of course will bring the price up, but the jump to 500 euro seems quite a leap. If they were 200-250 I'd think that would be a better price range. I waited and bought my 101 NOS in that price range.

This ones not to my taste, but credit where its due, Pelikan do sober rather well.

Yes, Pelikan does sober very well. Much prefer that to the "unicorn-poop swirl" materials some manufacturers use these days, to say nothing of the ridiculously gaudy "game of drones" pens :headsmack:

Yes. That was a completely unsolicited personal opinion that does not reflect the opinions of the staff or management or other users of the FPN...

"grandpa is grumpy this morning, isn't he grandma!"

;)

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Yes. Not sure that makes it any less of an over-priced pen. It is after all smaller than the M200 which can be bought for 115 euro. The gold nib of course will bring the price up, but the jump to 500 euro seems quite a leap. If they were 200-250 I'd think that would be a better price range. I waited and bought my 101 NOS in that price range.

This ones not to my taste, but credit where its due, Pelikan do sober rather well.

500 euro? Where on earth are you shopping? Nothing near that price in the UK more like 400 euro.

Peter

For me, I wish they had made a couple different models. One of either the blue or green swirl which reflects the original better, and one with the grey or black and white material, which I really find attractive. Mixing the grey and blue is sort of muddying the picture for me. It's OK but looks to me so much more like a 205 marble (?) pen and less like a classic 101 that it loses it's appeal. Does this make sense?

Edited by DrCodfish

It's OK but looks to me so much more like a 205 marble (?) pen and less like a classic 101 that it loses it's appeal. Does this make sense?

+1

500 euro? Where on earth are you shopping? Nothing near that price in the UK more like 400 euro.

Still overpriced for what it is, IMO.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Still overpriced for what it is, IMO.

Maybe "overpriced" for a Buyer's point of view, but obviously not from the Seller's.

"what it is" is a limited edition limited production uniquely colored pen.

Anything above a BiC Stic or a No. 2 pencil is all flippery anyway.

Justifying X or 2X or 200X is just just a game.

Agreed.

In this case, IMO, it is an M205 Marble with a gold nib and hence overpriced.

Now, what is reasonable to A will be overpriced to B and cheap to C. biggrin.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Wise words.

Although some basics (eg piston filler, specific nib, comfortable grip) may be more fundamental than frippery.

But, yes, it"s a game, which we all buy into - even encourage.

It always makes me smile that you can buy a Parker Jotter for a few pounds (or dollars) or spend several thousand on a solid gold 61 ball pen, both take the same refill, its all flippery :) .

Peter

It always makes me smile that you can buy a Parker Jotter for a few pounds (or dollars) or spend several thousand on a solid gold 61 ball pen, both take the same refill, its all flippery :) .

Indeed!

Edited by Glenn-SC

Mine own latest bit o' flippery, sporting a cursive italic nib from Dan Smith and Akkerman #10 Ijzer-Galnoten Blauw/Zwart (iron gall blue/black):

mapWxSO.jpg

:wub:

~ S.

Mine own latest bit o' flippery, sporting a cursive italic nib from Dan Smith and Akkerman #10 Ijzer-Galnoten Blauw/Zwart (iron gall blue/black):

Nice nib! (you can't say that to just anybody) When it all comes down to it, the way a pen writes is maybe the biggest consideration for me. I will admit I have some pens which make writing a chore for me, and I have them because of their beauty or unique characteristics or some such. But the great writers hold my heart. Looks like you have a dandy if some what 'friporious'.

We could rename FPN as the Friporious Pen Network/Nostalgia. wink.png

It always makes me smile that you can buy a Parker Jotter for a few pounds (or dollars) or spend several thousand on a solid gold 61 ball pen, both take the same refill, its all flippery smile.png .

+1

Engineer :

mapWxSO.jpg

:wub:

~ S.

Beautiful! No Jotter ever did THAT! huzzah for flippery ;)

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I kinda like the look of the pen. The price, OTOH? Not so much.... :( For something that costs that much more than my M405 Anthracite Stresemann (the most expensive pen I ever bought), it should be more than a "kinda like" gut reaction; it should be "OMG! I MUST HAVE THIS!"

If it had been priced like the Stresemann, I would have maybe considered it -- probably couldn't have afforded it, mind, but considered it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I must say I love the tones of my Blue Grey M101N. I thought it would be more blue. Pleasantly surprised it isnt....!!

post-124546-0-27906400-1554500619_thumb.jpeg

post-124546-0-23051200-1554500635_thumb.jpeg

Best//Sharookh

For me, I wish they had made a couple different models. One of either the blue or green swirl which reflects the original better, and one with the grey or black and white material, which I really find attractive. Mixing the grey and blue is sort of muddying the picture for me. It's OK but looks to me so much more like a 205 marble (?) pen and less like a classic 101 that it loses it's appeal. Does this make sense?

I saw this pen at the Atlanta Pen Show. It looked nothing like the 205 marble. It looked very much like a "classic." It jumped off the table even in poor light. It's definitely a classic. Shame I had already overspent my allowance.

It reminds me of the old style 200 series pens from '85-'97, but with a different grip knob and cap. ...OK, and nib. The striped pens, I like, this, not so much.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Depends on which picture, some look blue-gray swirl....others more gray swirl.

My W.Germany 200 is a sort of marbled gray...suddenly looks a bit better in my eyes. Before that it was a bit subdued in my eyes.....now austere... ;)....The duo coloring makes a difference.

And the W.Germany springy nib is that tad more springy than the Germany '90-97 one....but even so OM just don't hack it if one has vintage '50-65 semi-flex oblique.

I do like the old style printing of Pelikan on this 101n's nib.........I've got a 100n, and a couple early 400's with old style nib printing.

Ruth, any modern Pelikan...ie new, outside a 200, or a Karlstat sale of the 605 for E99.............is way out of my reach. Every once in a while I'll splurge at a live auction up to E150...in there all I have to beat is the dealers and they need to sell for a profit............in the Bay.....there are :angry: :gaah: :wallbash: collectors.

(Of course, in the Bay, I could look again the next week......but my wallet has me in Court for Wallet Abuse.) :(

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.