Older Stipula Etruria Replacement Feed

dfbach

I just received a lovely Etruria Ambra that I bought on eBay. It’s the older piston model with the straight section. Unfortunately, it came with a broken feed. Does any anyone know of a replacement that would fit? A standard Bock #6?

fpn_1552659696__feed.jpg

I also would have to remove the other half of the feed from the section. I was thinking of using a small screw to pull it out. Is that a good idea or is there a better way?

Many thanks!

David

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• RubenDh

• dfbach

• fabri00

(Current) Etruria models can equip JoWo nibs. I have, for example, a Franklin Christoph 1.9 music nib installed in an Ambrosia version.

If I were you I'd try to install a feed from a JoWo nib (Edision, Goulet, ...) and see if it fits. I can't guarantee that older models can use Jowo nibs (including feeds) though.

You should extract the part in the section, and check the diameter.

It it is 6 mm any #6 feed will fit.

Thank you all for your input!

I managed to extract the broken feed from the section.

I will try contacting Stipula, but I’ not getting my hopes up. Online, they seem to be an elusive company. Their web site hasn’t been updated in five years. On top of that, the Etruria Ambra has gone through several iterations – I doubt they still have spare parts for this one.

I’m going to order Jowo and Bock #6 nibs and see if the feed works. I may need to do some work on them to get them to fit in the sleeve, though. The opening isn’t round, but rather flattened off at the bottom.

fpn_1552831809__sleeve.jpg

The flat side in the collar is just to indicate how the feed should be placed. On JoWo #6 nibs the back side of the feeds are flat as well, making it a perfect fit. Let us know if it works!

I have the same old style amber version as you with a juicy 18k nib! Did you pull the nib out?

Edited by RubenDh

Stipula nibs are friction fit, so extracting the nib is reasonably easy, I have never had problems doing so, just pulling does it.

In your case with the feed broken it was probably slightly more difficult but noted you managed.

If you have patience you should be able to find a Stipula feed, your best option is contact an Italian pen shop, probably easier than trying to contact Stipula. The Stipula feed is flat shaped on one side to insert it correctly, other feeds may not fit.

I would also avoid attempting use of other nibs/feeds if you want to maintain the full value of your Stipula Etruria (the flat shaped section Ambra celluloid version is rather rare).

Is the nib an original Stipula gold nib (I cannot recognize the Stipula markings on it)?

I would probably contact Novelli or Corsani in Rome.

PS

check your broken feed, the feed is flat on one side for the whole length

see here

fpn_1553119047__img_1877.jpg

fpn_1553119169__img_1878-3_stipula_etrur

so don't force a different feed in!

I would try to contact Stipula before third party shops. Stipula is notorious for bad communication, but that is about to change. This week they launched (finally) an Instagram page, and told me that their website wil be finally revamped with an online shop and all. They also added a direct email adress to their Instagram page so you can always try to send an email

I disagree, only for the fact that I have tried, Stipula does not reply, and possibly they're having problems so may not give much attention to customer assistance, however shops will do their best to secure you as a new customer, so they will contact Stipula for you and they have professional channels to do that, especially some of the largest shops, even better if in Firenze. An attempt could be made in fact with Casa della Stilografica Firenze (stilografica.it get registered and send an enquiry, as a shop they may even have spare nibs).

You may attempt the new site, nonetheless.

Edited by sansenri

Thank you all for the help! I’m grateful. I was away on work last week, so I couldn’t reply earlier.

I ordered a couple of replacement feeds, one Bock and one generic. The generic one fit perfectly.

The nib was a bit wonky, so I had to do some adjusting. Now the pen writes wonderfully!

I'm not too worried about it losing its value due to the alien feed – I only paid 80€ for the pen anyway.

It will be interesting to see how Stipula’s online revamp works out.

Thanks again!

fpn_1553679044__stipula.jpg

It’s Akkerman SBRE Brown, an ink I bought about a year ago because I liked the bottle but never used because it reminded me of iodine tincture (and wounds and stitches and hospitals).

• 4 years later...

Some old models like yours have the markings to unscrew and replace the housing with a screwdriver if it is needed. For the new ones you need a special tool to unscrew the housing, after pulling out the feeder and the nib. The housing replacement is not easy to find, since it has milimetrical threads.

Good to know you have it working again, I also replaced one from a rainbow with a Jowo one.