The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Thoughts On This Montegrappa Extra In Parchment?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Portia of Belmont

Portia of Belmont

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:25

Hi all,

Would love to hear your thoughts on this Montegrappa Extra in parchment.  It's supposedly from around 2008 and, besides some staining in the cap, it's in near mint condition.  I have the Extra 1930 Shiny Lines/Dove Goulet exclusive and love it.  I would hope this would provide a similar writing experience.  

It's listed for an incredible price, given what new ones go for.  But I'm concerned about the staining.  I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks!!!

IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0102.JPG

Edited by Portia of Belmont, 15 March 2019 - 03:29.

Sponsored Content

#2 CeeElle

CeeElle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:25

The Montegrappa Extra is a particularly beautiful pen to use. The early versions such as these have a marginally smaller size than their true piston filling modern day examples. This early parchment celluloid was known for its ability to stain, particularly in the cap as there is no protective layer that might discourage ink caught on the nib/feed to bleed through - the white colour is, well, susceptible to staining by definition.

So all in all, you may get further staining if you aren't careful but as to the writing performance, it will be just as good if not better than your modern Shiny Lines example. I really prefer the slightly shorter size too versus the modern version, but it's barely noticeable. Good luck with your decision.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

Sponsored Content

|