Dry Inks For Wet Flowing Pens

SockAddict

How are the Edelstein inks compared to the 4001, in terms of flow?

Edelstein inks tend to be wetter than 4001 inks but it depends color.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• SockAddict

• akrohn2010

• geodesigner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edelstein inks tend to be wetter than 4001 inks but it depends color.

Agreed. You'll notice in my log that Sapphire came out wider/wetter than Tanzanite in my Vacumatic.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

a "terribly" dry blue-black ink: R&K Salix. But it is IG so, careful.

I second this suggestion. Last autumn I bought a Lamy 2000 with an F nib and inked it with KWZ IG Blue #6. It gushed so much I found it impossible to use. Salix works, though.

The experience with KWZ IG Blue #6 would seem to refute the notion that ferrogallic inks are all "dry". I tried that in an EF-nibbed Moonman M2, with which it plays nicely.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

Oh, I've also found that Graf von Faber-Castell Cobalt Blue works well with wet pens, and keeps a very precise line.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

Some may disagree, but i find that FPN's own van Gogh Starry Night works well to slow down a pen's flow. It isn't really dry, but it is definitely not a fast flowing ink in my experience. It has made a difference for me in three pens that were writing too wide.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried using Diamine Denim again, and it worked like a champ in my Vacumatic! It now writes like the western EF it should instead of a gushing M. Another thing I did was push two drops of ink back out of the pen after filling and release the plunger to pull some air back into the feed.

So far, so good...

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! Im sorry I didnt reply sooner, but...life.

I have tried the Pelikan Blue-Black, and really liked the results, but after just two or three days, the ink became very thick and gunky in my nib. ?? Any thoughts?

I also got the Pelikan Violet for one of my other wet pens, and it worked really well, too.

Ive just finished an order for many ink samples from Goulet Pens, including most of the suggestions here. I did include the R&K Salix and Scabiosa. Ill try them in one of my cheaper pens initially. (Boy, its a good thing the samples are inexpensive! I probably had too good of a time shopping.)

Noihvo, thank you for the picture! Thats the experience I have with some pen/ink combos, too.

Flyingpenman, thanks for sharing your experience, and your notes. Ive had exactly the same thingI was told the pen was an EF, and it certainly looks like one, but doesnt write like it. Im going to try your drops out and air in trick.

Just to let you all know, I love my Vacumatic anyway! I write with it all the time, but its nice to get the experience as close to ideal as possible.

Thanks again for all your help.