The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Getting Celluoid (As Raw Material)

celluoid solvent welding chemical welding crack repair mek solvent

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nestor

Nestor

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 22:20

Greetings everyone,

I am looking, to get more into solvent welding. Specifically I am interested In welding cracks on celluoid pens, such as parker vacumatics. I know that the proper method to do this, is to dissolve celluoid in MEK, to get a pretty thick liquid then apply to the crack, wait to dry for a long time, repeat etc. The problem is were can one find celluoid. I know old, broken pens is one source. However its very difficult, at least were I am from, to even find broken/damaged pens and escpecially ones made out of celluoid.

Is there any source were I can buy celluoid, as raw material? Meaning a celluoid, cube, cylinder even shavings. It does not matter since I am going to dissolve them anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Nestor

Sponsored Content

#2 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:05

Great question - I had asked for the same reason some time ago. But old pens was the only source that I received as a reply. Lets hope you receive a better answer. Maybe you could look for guitar plectrums - I ordered several varieties only but none turned out to be celluloid. Going to a store and smelling them yourself might help, but might also get you labelled as a weirdo, haha!

Im following this post with interest!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

My Instagram account --> link

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,097 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:56

You will likely never find the proper celluloid you seek as a raw material. Keep in mind that there are many different formulations of celluloid and not all are compatible. 

Your best source (and really the only source) is from another pen of the same model and vintage or the pen you are trying to solvent weld.  You need sparingly small amounts of material and will not want to make up a solution and then let it sit, you need to make it then use it. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:31

Celluloid plungers from vacs might be a good option? Im sure there are repair people or sellers that have such spares?

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

My Instagram account --> link

#5 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:46

As FarmBoy states; many different types of celluloid were manufactured, so compatability may be an issue, but I recall that some old/antique combs were made of celluloid?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: celluoid, solvent welding, chemical welding, crack repair, mek, solvent

Sponsored Content

|