Sheaffer Vac Fill Oversize Balance Feed Leaking

collado

Hi FPN fellows,

Recently I've got a Sheaffer's oversize balance and got it restored according to David Nishimura's instruction. But when I started to using it as a daily writer, I've found that the ink is saturating slowly across the fins of the feed. After some searching job across FPN, I realized that it could be a problem related to air tight. Then I checked the slit between the packing unit and the barrel; the section thread and the space between the feed and the section. The conclusion is that all of the above parts are fully air tight, through looking at the whole process I noticed that the ink only doing so when I grip the pen with hand, so I guess is it possible that this happens because the remaining air in the barrel are heated by my hand, expanded, and finally pushed the ink down there all the way to the feed? If so, what can I do to fix this issue?

Thank you very much!

P.S

Another possibility through my thought is that something is wrong with the hard rubber tunnel within the feed (i.e too thin and let it too much space between itself and the feed to keep the normal capillarity), discussion is welcomed

Sincerely,

Tongzhen

TongzhenTongzhen

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collado

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of things that can be causing the problem. Keep in mind that "fairly" tight isn't good enough. The back end must be completely air and water tight.

First, make sure that you have a bit of silicone grease on the plunger rod. Then with the nib in a container of water, cycle the plunger completely up and down quickly several times. IF there is a minor leak anywhere at the back end, this will force water out around the 0-ring (which I assume is what you used to restore it), or between the packing unit and the barrel wall. No water coming out? Good

BTW, a good, properly restored and lubricated plunger filler will feel and act like a gas spring if you push it down and stop before the head gasket reaches the point whee the barrel widens. It will bounce back up with some force, especially on the OS Balance.

Second, make sure that you have sealed the section threads with thread sealant. I have seen cases on these pens, and on others, where the pen oozes or floods if the section threads aren't sealed with thread sealant. If you've done that and it still oozes look elsewhere.

I have seen cases where there was a pin hole in the barrel - immerse the entire pen in water, with a bulb over the section. If you see bubbles anywhere, you have found the leak.

Then look at the nib and feed in the section. You should have a snug fit in the section. The bushing around the nib should be a snug fit in the section. Its OK to put a little shellac around the outside of the bushing around the nib if it is loose. Never put shellac on the nib and feed. The nib is a wedge, and the action of a wedge is what holds it in place. If the nib and feed are loose, you have to heat the feed to raise out the impression of the nib, and then reset the nib and feed. Worst case, you have to make a new bushing.

Check to see that the feed is a snug fit against the underside of the nib. If you can slip a single sheet of paper between the nib and feed, you have to heat the feed to set it against the nib.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Hi Ron,

So much appreciation for your detailed reply, I followed things you mentioned this weekend and found that the barrel and the section thread are all fully air tight, the plunger do work like a gas spring. So I continue to the feed itself, it seems that there's little gap between the feed and the nib, so I heated the feed and upbend it a little, then put the unit back in the section and applied some shellac around the housing, waiting the shellac to get stable. I'll let you know if I got it fixed this time :D

Best,

Tongzhen

There are a number of things that can be causing the problem. Keep in mind that "fairly" tight isn't good enough. The back end must be completely air and water tight.

First, make sure that you have a bit of silicone grease on the plunger rod. Then with the nib in a container of water, cycle the plunger completely up and down quickly several times. IF there is a minor leak anywhere at the back end, this will force water out around the 0-ring (which I assume is what you used to restore it), or between the packing unit and the barrel wall. No water coming out? Good

BTW, a good, properly restored and lubricated plunger filler will feel and act like a gas spring if you push it down and stop before the head gasket reaches the point whee the barrel widens. It will bounce back up with some force, especially on the OS Balance.

Second, make sure that you have sealed the section threads with thread sealant. I have seen cases on these pens, and on others, where the pen oozes or floods if the section threads aren't sealed with thread sealant. If you've done that and it still oozes look elsewhere.

I have seen cases where there was a pin hole in the barrel - immerse the entire pen in water, with a bulb over the section. If you see bubbles anywhere, you have found the leak.

Then look at the nib and feed in the section. You should have a snug fit in the section. The bushing around the nib should be a snug fit in the section. Its OK to put a little shellac around the outside of the bushing around the nib if it is loose. Never put shellac on the nib and feed. The nib is a wedge, and the action of a wedge is what holds it in place. If the nib and feed are loose, you have to heat the feed to raise out the impression of the nib, and then reset the nib and feed. Worst case, you have to make a new bushing.

Check to see that the feed is a snug fit against the underside of the nib. If you can slip a single sheet of paper between the nib and feed, you have to heat the feed to set it against the nib.