Wild Asc Conspiracy Theory

Storch

Ok, so I've been thinking about this and would love other people's opinions. I have come up with a crazy conspiracy theory that doesn't sound so crazy once you dig into it an think about it a bit. Now, I have a tendency to assume people are smarter than they really are and that things play out like finely scripted movies, but hear me out.

So ASC has pretty much built their brand on being former Omas and has been using the leftover celluloid rods for almost, if not all, of their products and have made designs that are ver y close to the Omas original in spirit if not necessarily in size. Obviously people go crazy for anything Arco and some of the others are quite nice as well. They have capitalized on that quite effectively and built a very nice brand. But from what we hear, there is a very limited supply of things like Arco rods and there have been rumors here and there that they are running out. So this poses the question: if you know there is a limited supply of this material, why would you spend all this time building a brand whose recognition is based largely on those materials? It simply doesn't make much sense to build this all up so have to revert to doing mono-color paragon-inpired designs and such like that. Even colorful acryilcs would be hugely anticlimactic after the slew of arco and other vintage things we have gotten and, if not handled expertly, would likely signal the beginning of a death spiral for the brand. I say brand, not company, because I am sure you could build a profitable business off designs like those, it just wouldn't have the panache I have come to associate with ASC.

This is where the crazy consipiracy comes in. What if this isn't the end. What if all of these limited releases are a carefully timed stall? We know that it is not impossible to make these celluloids, just difficult, expensive, and time consuming. What if the release cadence is structured to allow enough time to get a new supplier set up so that ASC can finish up using all the vintage celluloid stock just in time to release Arco 2.0 or simply reintroduce something like the Lucens if the Arco proves troublesome? I have heard that it would take months to make an arco block so it feels like the timing is about right. A couple test runs before you start working the kinks out of full scale manufacturing and you're a year or two into things, maybe more. This feels like exactly where we are.

Like I said, I know it's got elements of Bond movie scripting, but it sorta makes a weird amount of sense. I mean who is gonna shell out $1k+ for a Bologna Extra made out of acrylic? And, even if they did make such as thing, would it really feel like ASC? A part of me knows it's probably not gonna happen, but another part of me really hopes it's true just because I could imagine the multitude of cool things they could do like Arco in other colors or new patterns or... you get the idea. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seney724

• zaddick

• Barkingpig

• mongrelnomad

Regarding 'former OMAS': ASC has materials, Scribo has staff (and machinery and nib designs?), and Ancora bought the name.

But yeah, however unlikely, it would be nice to see celluloid production resume.

I've read it bandied around enough but haven't researched for a verifiable source so I don't know; there are old threads about it on this message board if you really want to know:

It's not only that the celluloid is difficult and time consuming and thus costly to make, but that Mazzucchelli, the supposed original producer of most if not all distinctive italian celluloids that you may have heard of, or at least those that Omas used, have long since ceased production of the stuff in Europe.

The thread I read was at least 10 years old, and that was a few years ago when i read it.

From what I remember, there are no European makers of cellulose nitrate left, either because of cost/demand issues or because of EU regulation banning the production of the stuff. I've read the latter line so often but haven't bothered to scour through european legislation to find out for sure. I'm not bothered enough to ever do so either.

As I understand it, Mazzucchelli has long since outsourced the production of cellulose nitrate to a Chinese plastics maker, and that in fact all cellulose nitrate still being produced on this earth comes from China, mostly in sheets and not often in rods. There was that small American concern (American Art Plastics?) but I don't think they produce the stuff any longer. Whether or not Mazzucchelli would so easily hand over the specific formulae for their distinctive Omas celluloids to their Chinese partner is the question that you'd need to answer. Considering the demonstrable risk of IP theft encountered by firms that have done such in the past, it may not be a likely occurrence. In fact, they might not even be able to do so even if they wanted to, as the rights to those formulae might be owned by the client, Omas, and now whoever owns that brand has the legal right to instigate production or something; it's not ASC.

I would abandon whatever fanciful notions you might have and simply enjoy what still remains.

Basically, if you see something you like now, don't hold out in the hopes that it'l become more readily available and possibly cheaper at some indeterminable point in the distant future.

For all intents and purposes, they're gone for good.

I must say that I would love to see other Arco colours though.

Imagine a red one, or a blue one. Or a green that is more leafy rather than silvery.

I'd love a copper arco. We can dream and that's about it.

(rainbow arco)

Looking at the prices some are willing to pay and not to mention the bidding frenzy on eBay for these Arco Bronzes, it will only be a matter of time someone commences production of the Arco in a Third World jurisdiction with lax Environmental and Work Safety laws. ASC's stock of celluloid rods is significant - 4000 rods when the Chinese sold up I hear, but still finite. The Il Gladiatore isn't moving at the crazy price they're asking for, so it isn't the fool's gold that they originally thought it would be; but still a significant enough material to produce a saleable product at a respectable enough price (the Visconti x ASC Arco Bronze sold out within the day of launch). With the spurts and release of various celluloid pens every now and then - you've been astute to notice they're testing the market. Wouldn't be long before some poor old sod in Bangladesh starts work in a dingy factory so we'll get to buy another pen.

Ok, so I've been thinking about this and would love other people's opinions. I have come up with a crazy conspiracy theory that doesn't sound so crazy once you dig into it an think about it a bit. Now, I have a tendency to assume people are smarter than they really are and that things play out like finely scripted movies, but hear me out.

So ASC has pretty much built their brand on being former Omas and has been using the leftover celluloid rods for almost, if not all, of their products and have made designs that are ver y close to the Omas original in spirit if not necessarily in size. Obviously people go crazy for anything Arco and some of the others are quite nice as well. They have capitalized on that quite effectively and built a very nice brand. But from what we hear, there is a very limited supply of things like Arco rods and there have been rumors here and there that they are running out. So this poses the question: if you know there is a limited supply of this material, why would you spend all this time building a brand whose recognition is based largely on those materials? It simply doesn't make much sense to build this all up so have to revert to doing mono-color paragon-inpired designs and such like that. Even colorful acryilcs would be hugely anticlimactic after the slew of arco and other vintage things we have gotten and, if not handled expertly, would likely signal the beginning of a death spiral for the brand. I say brand, not company, because I am sure you could build a profitable business off designs like those, it just wouldn't have the panache I have come to associate with ASC.

This is where the crazy consipiracy comes in. What if this isn't the end. What if all of these limited releases are a carefully timed stall? We know that it is not impossible to make these celluloids, just difficult, expensive, and time consuming. What if the release cadence is structured to allow enough time to get a new supplier set up so that ASC can finish up using all the vintage celluloid stock just in time to release Arco 2.0 or simply reintroduce something like the Lucens if the Arco proves troublesome? I have heard that it would take months to make an arco block so it feels like the timing is about right. A couple test runs before you start working the kinks out of full scale manufacturing and you're a year or two into things, maybe more. This feels like exactly where we are.

Like I said, I know it's got elements of Bond movie scripting, but it sorta makes a weird amount of sense. I mean who is gonna shell out $1k+ for a Bologna Extra made out of acrylic? And, even if they did make such as thing, would it really feel like ASC? A part of me knows it's probably not gonna happen, but another part of me really hopes it's true just because I could imagine the multitude of cool things they could do like Arco in other colors or new patterns or... you get the idea. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

ASC and their parallel business of eBay sales of "NOS" Omas pens & pencils have proven themselves to be quite capable when it comes to stalling. So, if your theory is correct, they would be playing to one of their strengths.

Given ASC's awful quality control and legendary poor customer service (especially post sales customer service) it is hard to believe they are gearing up to create a long term, sustainable business model. I see what they are doing as being more of a "take the money and run" strategy. The remaining stock of Omas celluloid rods are their only asset and they are going to milk those cash cows for all they are worth. In order to do so they are going to have to create enough sufficient cash to burn so they do not go belly up before the last rod has been sold. IMO this is why they sold some of the Arco rods off to Visconti.

If any of the current players have the ability to pull it off what you are postulating, it would be Scribo. I hope they can do it!!!

OP- based on your original post, you have several basic beliefs incorrect. I think their model is more of the make hay while the sun is shining approach.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

With today's announcement from Mr. Bexley that he has sold BEXLEY Pens to ASC, it will be interesting to see what happens with this new acquisition.

With today's announcement from Mr. Bexley that he has sold BEXLEY Pens to ASC, it will be interesting to see what happens with this new acquisition.

Well that explains the new Bexley pens made with OMAS celluloid.

With the exception of André Mora's Oldwin Classic pens, the only proper place for Omas celluloid is on an Omas pen.

The use of Omas celluloid for an ASC pen is lipstick on a pig.

If ASC were wise they would sell all their remaining Omas celluloid to the likes of Visconti or even (heaven forbid) Scribo so that a true high quality pen manufacturer could produce pens from the unique and never to be replicated "fountain pen artisan's canvas" we know as the Omas celluloid.

But given ASC's ongoing production of increasingly expensive / poor quality monstrosities (IL Gladiatore as a case in point), it is clear that's not going to happen.

In fact, they might not even be able to do so even if they wanted to, as the rights to those formulae might be owned by the client, Omas, and now whoever owns that brand has the legal right to instigate production or something; it's not ASC.

But that formula exists somewhere so there is still a glimmer of hope.

OP- based on your original post, you have several basic beliefs incorrect. I think their model is more of the make hay while the sun is shining approach.

As I said in the opening, I am prone to thinking people are smarter then they demonstrably are.

What changes now with the news reported elsewhere on fPN that ASC bought Bexley? Dun dun duuuuunnnnn. (Dramatic movie sounds)

But given ASC's ongoing production of increasingly expensive / poor quality monstrosities (IL Gladiatore as a case in point), it is clear that's not going to happen.

I really wonder how the aluminium feed of that pen (?!?!) will actually fare over time.

But that formula exists somewhere so there is still a glimmer of hope.

A glimmer perhaps, but I don't expect anything within the next decade, and by then the market may have changed significantly and this small FP/ink enthusiast blip we've been experiencing may diminish enough by then that it just wouldn't be profitable for anyone to even bother.

Celluloid as a pen material was rare even when Omas was around and kicking.

It's mostly cellulose acetate from here on out.

What changes now with the news reported elsewhere on fPN that ASC bought Bexley? Dun dun duuuuunnnnn. (Dramatic movie sounds)

The most recent information "in the public domain" states something different:

https://www.facebook.com/126609737394321/posts/a-messge-from-howard-levy-since-there-appears-to-be-some-not-quite-accurate-and-/1966990920022851/

I have no doubt that if there was an update some of our fellow FPN members would be the first to know. Zaddick, would you please post (or post a link to) the more recent information which you and an earlier contributor to this thread have seen?

I received an email yesterday from THE BEXLEY PEN COMPANY, which was sent to me, I presume because I had recently purchased a Bexley fountain pen (making the fourth Bexley pen I own) & sent the information back to register it. (And no I cannot "supply a link" to that email because it was deleted after reading it, as is my custom.)

The email began by stating that 2019 was a year of transition for Bexley Pens & stated he had sold the Company to Mr. Emmanuel Caltigirone. He said the pens would no longer be made in Ohio & that the enclosed offering of the new 2019 Owner's Pens described in the email would be therefore the last opportunity to own a Bexley pen made in Ohio. It was for this reason the pens were using the Italian celluloid & were therefore special to represent the offering for purchase described in the electronic message.

I do NOT believe I am the only person to receive this email & assumed my inclusion was the recent registry of my purchased Bexley pen. Nor did I choose to purchase either, or both of the pens offered for sale & therefore I didn't retain the email.

(In reading the latest, yesterday's post from the link supplied above to the Bexley Facebook page, it would appear to be a description of the email I received.)

Thanks for providing this information. It makes sense that Howard would let his registered customers know first. He is a class act. I assume it will appear in the public domain soon.

Maybe I am reading too much in between the lines, but I am intrigued by his comment that the "2019 Owner's Pens described in the email would be therefore the last opportunity to own a Bexley pen made in Ohio." To me, what this is saying, is that he is selling the Bexley name and this is the last opportunity for a Beckey afficionado to get a Bexley pen which is manufactured up to to the current Bexley/Ohio standards of quality and customer service. It is a "word to the wise," so to speak.

And, his "head's up" is founded with good reason.....after all look at all the other brands of fine pens which we have seen to morph into sheer junk once another outfit took over the ownership / production / brand name!!

Good for Howard; he has sent an important message to the many pen lovers who have come to know and admire him over the years.

Thanks again for the clarification Barkingpig.

I am sorry I deleted the email from Mr. Bexley but the message was clear to me, after stating the Bexley business had been sold, he went on to say that pens would be manufactured but "NOT in Ohio." So, your inference is the same as mine when I read the message, that ASC would be producing them elsewhere.

I hope the long term of the change is positive for each concern, surely for Mr. Bexley, who has indeed made the brand as well received as it is; I was happy to order my recent pen, based ONLY on appearance, when I saw it photographed by a member of another Forum. I have been extremely pleased with each of mine, one piston filled & the others cartridge/converter, so a new model was a quick decision for me.

I am even more fond of the four Omas pens I have & as much as I regret not purchasing an Arco nor the Arlecchino while Omas was producing them, I have not purchased any of the newly made pens from ASC.

Glad you "read" it the same way as I did. The 2019 Bexley Owners club pens are now pictured online in several places. The first thing which struck me is they are priced much higher than in past years. The Omas celluloid which ASC has "provided" Bexley for the pens is not one of the Arco celluloids but some of the recent "Lucens" rods which were black/gold and dark blue/silver. There have been some crystallization problems reported with those celluloids (especially the dark blue / silver); hopefully this will not be an issue with these pens given they are Howard Levy's "last hurrah."

Besides the expense and concern about the longevity of the celluloid, I think the biggest unknown is who will provide the post sales service and warranty work / replacements once Bexley/Ohio is gone? ASC?? I don't think so..........

As for your regrets, there are still Arcos out there and with a little bit of work and patience a very nice one can be acquired for a very reasonable price. As for the Arlecchino, be glad you never acquired one! Sadly, almost all of them are falling apart. True, some seem to have been spared the ravages of the off gassing of the celluloid but there is no way to know which ones are going to remain ok over time.

I really do not understand why Manu is buying up all these storied old brands. Nothing ever comes of them. Just let them die with dignity (oh, and hand Scribo the celluloid while youre at it please, for there the spirit of Omas clearly resides)...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

I really do not understand why Manu is buying up all these storied old brands. Nothing ever comes of them.

Well, I believe quite some money went into Manu's wallet. :) Clever businessman, I guess.

Not that I like ASC pens, personally.

Can someone help me understand please -- why are/can pens now being made with the prized Omas Arco celluloid not being made in the 12-sided faceted shape of the Paragon? Does current company simply not want to? Does company that owns rods not have talent or equipment to replicate that shape? Is the shape protected by patent (in which case, who now holds that)?