Where To Buy A Moonman M2 - Plus Bonus M2 Question

thirdguess

I see a bunch on eBay at the $12-$15 price point but I'm not sure if they are faked often. Should I just spend the $18-$20 on Amazon? Or are they really faked all that often?

Bonus question- the m2 will fit most #5 nibs right? I see people putting jowo's on them, so I could put a bock or fpr on it right?

Edited by thirdguess

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• thirdguess

• Lomi

• drathbun

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you found reliable reports about fakes of Moonman 2?

No, just one person on Reddit claiming it. I just want sure if it was a common thing or not really.

Hmm.

There's one guy claiming the moon is cheese too. ( https://www.reddit.com/r/PewdiepieSubmissions/comments/98itrv/the_moon_is_cheese_and_the_reason_why_will_shock/ )

I have a suspicion that if there is only one person on Reddit claiming this, it's insufficient evidence.

The best way to make evidence believable is to have a real one & fake next to each other and go through all the discrepancies between the two, slowly gathering point by point evidence that it's wrong. Then have several different people doing this and finding the same points. The reason why it's important for several people to gather evidence is that one person may have found an extreme end of manufacturing variability or suddenly decide that they hate the brand and want to do something to knock it by introducing an element of doubt. In recent years Chinese manufacturing variability has reduced for the better manufacturers, making the chance of spotting badly made fakes easier.

The numbers of fakes of recent Chinese home grown models (like the Moonman M2) is likely to be small, particularly outside China. I will give a few reasons.

• It takes time for a new model to get established for the manufacturer.
  • The faker must see this and come to the conclusion they can make it for less.
  • The faker must invest in tooling and start production.
  • The faker must start distribution within China and come close to saturating the fake tolerant part of the market before there is any spare capacity to export the fakes.

All this takes time, and the lag between a new model and fakes becoming available to export from China is likely to be 1.5 to 2 years minimum. This is made up from 9 months for the model to get established, 3 months to dither about whether the model can be made for less, 3 months to get the tooling made and 3 to 9 months to saturate the market.

The biggest question is whether Moonman change their models so often that the faker gets to the point of manufacturing as Moonman stop their production - if so, the faker has lost their investment because it can't maskerade as Moonman stuff after their production has stopped. And Moonman changes their models fast... It'll make fakes of their pens even more risky.

So, unless I have definite evidence of fakes, I'll be hard to persuade that Moonman pens available outside China are fakes. I will also be very reluctant to believe the pronouncements of one person unless they have very good evidence to back up their claims.

Regards,

Richard.

I have heard such claims about Jinhao pens too.

I wouldn't care too much.

With most Chinese pens you do not know who actually made them. Production is often outsourced to several factories. Some of them apparently sell them on their accounts too - look on Alibaba how many factories sell Jinhao pens.

They are all fakes more or less then. Or all genuine.

I have no idea if Moonman is also made by several factories.

I have several Moonman 2 and all of them are of similar quality - i.e. good quality.

If the seller for $12 has a good recommendation value, buy from him. Otherwise choose one who has.

Sellers on Amazon are often the same as on Ebay with the same products, just more expensive because they have to pay 30% to Amazon.

I have heard such claims about Jinhao pens too.

I wouldn't care too much.

With most Chinese pens you do not know who actually made them. Production is often outsourced to several factories. Some of them apparently sell them on their accounts too - look on Alibaba how many factories sell Jinhao pens.

They are all fakes more or less then. Or all genuine.

I have no idea if Moonman is also made by several factories.

I have several Moonman 2 and all of them are of similar quality - i.e. good quality.

If the seller for $12 has a good recommendation value, buy from him. Otherwise choose one who has.

Sellers on Amazon are often the same as on Ebay with the same products, just more expensive because they have to pay 30% to Amazon.

Totally agree, especially with first two paragraphs.

I see a bunch on eBay at the $12-$15 price point but I'm not sure if they are faked often. Should I just spend the $18-$20 on Amazon? Or are they really faked all that often?

Bonus question- the m2 will fit most #5 nibs right? I see people putting jowo's on them, so I could put a bock or fpr on it right?

I have Moonman M100 selled under the name of "Kicute" on aliexpress without any moonman reference in promotion text, that i bought during sale for 20.37$ with 14 days ePacket delivery included, from Hong Kong i guess, while regular price for it is usually 28-34$ especially on Ebay, and i can say for sure that i got pretty genuine Moonman M100 with all moonman branding on the boxes/pen, even to the point of it having the same moonman factory label that i seen on photos from others and without any flaws in construction, schmidt nib/converter, polished acrylic like on photo same size and everything like described.

The main reason for that low price is production on different factory that have rights to make moonman pens, because when I asked two out of four stores there if they sell genuine Moonman M100 they both was pretty open to me and both of them answered that they sell OEM product, which as far as i understand it in context of pens means that they have agreement with moonman to produce pens on their own factory and that way they cut the costs, but they probably have no rights to call it moonman(or just doesn't want) because it's not produced on main factory and they doesn't wan't any problems if there any flaws in pen, and yes i'm pretty sure it's not produced on main Moonman factory but i dont care, this outsourcing happens with most chinese pens, and we cannot call them fake either.

As i was already once answered under comment in Reddit in case of Moonman M2 if you want to know the real price of this pen and others that they produce visit the main distributor of moonman pens at Taobao, the M2 price is 8.21$ there which is far lower than what you can see outside of China, and now ask yourself how much should delivery cost? especially when usually they send this pens just like regular letter in small packet, i would say that even 11$ for this pen is pretty fair.

Edited by Lomarion

I bought my first Moonman M2 from "elec-mall" on eBay for about $12 US. It took about 14 days to arrive. I saw another sale of the same pen from the same seller for $9US. It seemed to be a special sale because you can't get them for that price anymore. I'm still waiting for that one and tomorrow will be day 20.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

Better buy from a trusted seller on ebay then to reduce the risk of a counterfeit (if there is even one)