The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Any Experience With Platinum Kanazawa Maki-E Fountain Pens?

platinum maki-e

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hu-327

hu-327

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 00:04

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PT24237/platinum-kanazawa-haku-fountain-pen-changing-autumn-leaves 

I bought one of these recently, but as I waiting for it to arrive, does anyone have any experience with these? I don't own any maki-e pens yet so I thought this would be a good entry-level maki-e before I decide to spend more.

Sponsored Content

#2 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 00:24

they're not REAL maki-e. screen printed on resin from what I understand.

I've heard good things about them though.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#3 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 00:27

I have one of those (Herons over Mt Fuji).

The 18K nib is beautiful. It's springy and a joy to write with. 

I've only used cartriges with mine. 

You won't want to post is - as it might wreck the image. 

#4 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:49

A useful pen at a reasonable price.Hand-painted maki-e can be in many thousand dollars. It can be the first step into the expensive road to maki-e collecting.

#5 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:48

The are absolutely fantastic pens.  It is at the entry level when it comes to Maki-e but don't denigrate the artistry of screen printing; it is yet another old and honored art form.

In screen printing, each separate color is one screen and one printing. Each screen must register exactly over the prior screens for the image to end up as imagined.  It is a laborious process initially but has the advantage that once created numerous identical copies can be made.

There are several layers in the world of Maki-e as well as different styles and techniques.  For example even in most of the high end Maki-e pens the design is first created on paper and basic outlines then transferred to the pen. The tracings are then painted over by hand or carved by hand.

standard.jpg

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#6 ridiculopathy

ridiculopathy

Modern

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:35

The gold leaf application technique is what is supposed to make the Kanazawa series unique. I have the autumn leaves one too, and I agree with everyone else that it's a great starter maki-e pen.

#7 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 22:58

Yeah, I don't think anyone would dispute the quality of the kanazawas. But for someone interested in "true" maki-e, this ain't urushi coated ebonite that's hand painted by artisans. It's its own thing.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#8 hu-327

hu-327

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 20:28

Thanks everyone! Excited for its arrival.

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:13

Please show it to us, once you have it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#10 hu-327

hu-327

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:21

I'll take some pictures in a day or so! Looks like I ordered the rabbit/moon version though. Whoops. Didn't realize why I wasn't getting notifications on any of my threads either, apparently you are supposed to follow topics?

#11 hu-327

hu-327

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:17

Really wish a >$150 pen had a converter included, but that's my only misgiving. I forgot how to upload images directly  :unsure: so here is an imgur link to the album of pictures I took. imgur.com/a/RtoNt40 There is a weird raised bump encircling the moon (which is the only part of the Maki-e which doesn't feel slightly raised when I brush over it with my thumb), which I think was certainly part of the screenprinting process. I tried to show it in the picture, it's easier to see in person, but you can still tell of the black ring surrounding the moon.  

#12 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:25

The converters are victims of price competition even if it is only a marginal cost in regard to the whole pen. :unsure:

#13 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 19:27

Mine came with a convertor - that was a couple of years ago. Are you sure it is not tucked away beneath the packaging in the box? 

#14 ridiculopathy

ridiculopathy

Modern

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:44

There is a weird raised bump encircling the moon (which is the only part of the Maki-e which doesn't feel slightly raised when I brush over it with my thumb), which I think was certainly part of the screenprinting process. 

I think that's to keep the gold leaf in place or to prevent it from being flaked off--my Platinum modern maki-e (screen printed) rollerball doesn't have the clear encirclements. 

Like sandy101, mine came with a converter but it was also years ago when I bought it.

#15 hu-327

hu-327

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:33

Checked under the packaging in the box and definitely no converter :(

At least Platinum converters aren't as pricey as some of the others. 2 for $10 or so. Aurora's prices especially are ridiculous.

#16 Dr.Midnight

Dr.Midnight

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:26

I have the Platinum Modern Maki-e with the Crane and Mt. Fuji design, medium nib.  It is far and away my favorite pen.  A great writer, despite a recent misadventure with some ink and a non-approved cleanser (Honeybadgers knows!)

Anyway, I loved mine a little too much. It was (and still is) a daily carry for me, and unfortunately, a lot of the design has worn off over the years.  You can compare mine to the picture Jar posted above:

fpn_1553812191__makie.jpg

Despite that, Platinum makes a great pen.  Enjoy!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, maki-e

Sponsored Content

|