The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Do You Keep The Packaging?

box packaging cases

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Cast

Cast

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 22:33

I just partially cleared out my desk to make room for more stuff. I removed many cardboard and plastic boxes that pens came in. Right now they are in a paper bag. Do you keep them? If so why?

Sponsored Content

#2 CMaurer

CMaurer

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 22:51

For more expensive pens, I definitely would, especially if it's a nicer box, like faux leather.  I don't think I'd save a cardboard box or something cheaper just for the sake of saving space, unless it's something you plan to sell later.  It's really up to you!

#3 Cast

Cast

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2019 - 23:06

I definitely don’t have expensive pens: Metropolitans, Safaris and Twisbis. The plastic boxes for the Metropolitans are kinda nice, but I can’t think of an alternative use for them. The slim plastic Twisbi Go box might be good to carry a pen around in.

#4 Tseg

Tseg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:03

My closets are full of camera, watch and pen boxes.  I emerged from my camera and watch obsessions, keeping only a few key performers, so was glad I had the boxes to aide in selling off the non-keepers.  But I imagine selling off <$50 pens is a diminishing return enterprise, so maybe those boxes could go.  Luckily I only bought a handful of those.

Edited by Tseg, 14 March 2019 - 02:03.

#5 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:41

I keep the boxes, hang tag, manuals, etc for almost all my pens. The Wing Sungs are the only exceptions currently. I learned from my time in the watch hobby that everything you think is a "keeper" isn't actually always a keeper...and you wont take as hefty of a loss when you sell it if you have all the original boxes and papers.

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:47

I definitely don’t have expensive pens: Metropolitans, Safaris and Twisbis. The plastic boxes for the Metropolitans are kinda nice, but I can’t think of an alternative use for them. The slim plastic Twisbi Go box might be good to carry a pen around in.

I'd actually be more likely to keep the TWSBI box -- mine has the little wrench and bottle of silicone grease in it.

Most of my pens are vintage.  So the boxes are long gone, mostly.  And for the few that the box was still around? They're not in good condition.  Although the box which came with a beat up looking Parker 45 I picked up for cheap a couple of weeks ago turned out to have a (somewhat mangled) gold nib and nib  assembly in the bottom of the box!  :huh:

I do keep some of the nicer boxes (Pelikan, Pilot, and of course the TWSBI 580-AL box).  And I'm keeping a cardboard Esterbrook box for the amusement factor (the pen in the box when I bought it was a 1930s or 40s era Parker Parkette).  But stuff like the Noodler's pen boxes?  Naaah....  Kept one for the artwork, that was it.

Boxes for ink bottles?  That's another story.  There, I do keep them when available, because that helps protect the ink from light -- especially some of the vintage ones, which ware generally in clear bottles.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,989 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:23

In the past I didn't keep boxes but I have for the last year or two. I have sold a number of pens over time and it's easier to do when you have the original box. But like Tseg says if the pen is less then $50 you're not going to get much for it anyways. In that case if you are going to give the pen to a friend it's also nice to give them the box as well.

#8 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,602 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 14:22

I do now...............but in @ 1972, I didn't keep the box my P-75 set came in....in fact I just opened the box took out both pens and tossed it.

40 some odd years later....I find out had I opened the bottom of the box I'd found out my P-75 would take cartridges...............I had known how a P-75 filled from a bottle................so it was a pleasant surprise that it not only a squeeze filling pen, but a C/C pen....now that them 'new fangled' converters came down the road.

If one sells a pen one gets more money for the original box....if one moves one can put the pens in a better to transport box than a pen cup.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#9 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• 28,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 14:49

I have two big boxes full of boxes in my storage. I keep the boxes on all my nicer pens, I do sell pens occasionally. The cheaper pens with cardboard boxes I toss the boxes.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#10 kulnet

kulnet

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 14:50

Absolutely. There's a good chance that I will eventually grow tired of a particular pen and sell it to a loving home. I have one exception with that being a Sheaffer Balance that belonged to my grandfather. That one is priceless and will be passed down to my son one day.

#11 Cordovian

Cordovian

Oh, shiny.

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 15:12

I keep all of mine. If I happen to want to sell one, buyers seem to be willing to pay a lot more for a pen with the original box than one without.

#12 dfbach

dfbach

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 15:36

I used to toss my boxes immediately after unpacking the pen in an attempt to hold back the clutter. Now I keep them. I wish I could throw them away. It annoys me that something so useless is taking up so much space. I’m sure, however, that I will want to reduce my stash of pens at some point. Like the others have said, it’s just better to have the box if you want to sell or give away a pen.

#13 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 17:45

I have two cartons and a few grocery bags worth of boxes in a storage facility...

#14 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:21

Concerning keeping boxes for pen resale: it's not just financial, it's useful for packaging if you're selling a pen online and need to send it somewhere.

#15 melro

melro

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 13:06

i do keep boxes of almost everything , but i use them elsewhere. these boxes are great to organize you house

#16 City74

City74

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 13:49

I keep all boxes

#17 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 16:51

I keep all boxes

Hi City74, et al,

Me, too. :thumbup:

From the $20 F.C. Grips,... all the way up to the top... I got 'em all. I keep mine sorted on bookshelves.

Be well all. :)

- Anthony

With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#18 surprise123

surprise123

Estate Find

• Member - Gold

• 833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 19:20

I keep all my boxes. Whether it's to store the nicer pens, or just to have it, boxes are always nice to have. They increase the resell value of a pen and protect them well.

#19 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 20:22

I keep all boxes/ papers. When you want to unload 100-150 modern c.1960's - 2000..'tis  much easier {wholesale of course...don't wanna deal with

John Q Public............'cause 'tis a real pita}.........................................

Fred

#20 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• 21,602 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 22:28

I even have lucked into some pens with cheap '50's boxes....and that is worth $5-10 more at least when selling or buying an old pen.

Top of the line boxes were not always done............the Big Boys were also saving money back in the day.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: box, packaging cases

Sponsored Content

|