Montblanc 146R Burgundy Collar And Prices

sanesan

So I have the chance to purchase a burgundy 146R for $270, but it has a black instead of burgundy collar. Is that still worth it?

And is the black collar maybe a mistake by a repairman? And does anyone know where I could get the proper burgundy collar - eBay does not seem to have any.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• CS388

• geodesigner

• sanesan

Yes, it was probably repaired and the technician replaced the collar with a regular black one. The same happened to me recently,and I was able to source replacement burgundy collars. I have one available if you're interested. If so, send me a PM.

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall

That's a really good deal on a 146R (and an okay deal on a normal 146). A black collar could look interesting but if you don't like the pairing it sounds like you can get a burgundy replacement without too much hassle. And depending on the cost of a burgundy collar, you could get a spectacular deal.

That's a really good deal on a 146R (and an okay deal on a normal 146). A black collar could look interesting...

I agree.

Yes, you definitely want a burgundy collar in the pen.

It may seem a trivial and slight issue, but if I was after a burgundy pen, that could be a deal breaker, for me.

If you've got a good deal and the correct collar seems to be available - I'd go for it and swap it out.

If the collar is no longer available, I'd pass.

Again, I know it sounds like a non-issue - but, it would niggle me to have the black collar in there. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

A black collar on a Bordeaux 146 might look quite stunning. If my Bordeaux 146 were to require a Montblanc service call, it might even return with a black collar.

Edited by meiers

A black collar on a Bordeaux 146 might look quite stunning. If my Bordeaux 146 were to require a Montblanc service call, it might even return with a black collar.

Hi Matt. Yes, fair point, it could look exciting.

I don't know why I'm being so narrow about this one, I'm usually quite open about mixing and matching.

Indeed, some of my favourite pens are frankenpens!

Regarding the service question - I seem to recall that FPN member Chrissy had information about the availablity of burgundy parts, but I can't find the thread. I did once get a 144R back from service with a black section - but I didn't like it, so it went back and they fitted the matching burgundy section. This was MANY years ago, though. I don't know what the Hamburg stock of burgundy parts is like, now.

Enjoy.

When I got my 146R in the same situation, I thought that the black collar looked pretty cool. After some time the itch of just getting it "right" became overwhelming and I had to correct it.

I was (am!) in the middle of a huge MB servicing craze, finally having acquired proper tools and supplies, and after my secret MB parts pusher purveyor sourced factory burgundy collars, I just couldn't say no.

2019-01-05-10-34-42.jpg

2019-01-05-10-44-35.jpg

2019-01-05-14-04-45.jpg

P1050028-2.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the end result :)

Cheers

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall