- Build Quality : build quality is excellent. The pen looks really polished and refined. The pen also withstands the passing of time without any problem. After two years of use, it looks good as new. Of course - because of the white colour - you should take extra care, and wipe off excess ink after filling.
- Weight & Dimensions : about 125 mm when capped - and as such a rather small pen. It's also definitely a featherweight. If you prefer pens with some heft to them, the M400 model will not be your thing. Posted - the pen becomes about 150 mm long, and fits even larger hands.
- Filling System : this is a piston-filler, that holds quite some ink. The piston is made from plastic, but works really well. Pelikan are generally known for their excellent piston mechanism.
- Nib & Performance : the M400 Souverän pens have gold nibs. The one on my White Tortoise is a beautiful two-toned M-nib, that is a wet writer. You should be aware that Pelikan nibs are typically a size larger than their designation. My M-nib definitely writes like a broad. I quite like that you can buy the Pelikan nibs separately. If you accidentally damage your nib, you can simply buy a new one. I also like that the nib units are interchangeable between the M120/M200/M400/M101N models.
- Price : about 280 EUR, including taxes. Not cheap, but also not too expensive for a gold-nibbed pen. In my opinion you get value for money.
FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Posted 13 March 2019 - 20:18
Posted 13 March 2019 - 20:32
I agree, this is one of the prettiest Pelikans, wish I had it in the M600 size but....
Posted 13 March 2019 - 20:59
Yeah, it's a beauty! I did buy it again and am not ashamed to admit. Now I have one with a DIY architecty F-grind and one with an Italic Broad nib which equals a 1.5 mm line width.
Thank you for your re-review and the mouth-watering photos!
Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede
Posted 13 March 2019 - 21:20
Adopt, Don't Shop! Support Your Local Animal Shelters! - Let's make this world a better place together! Because... now is the only thing that is real...
"Indifference towards people and the reality in which they live is actually the one and only cardinal sin in design." - Dieter Rams
EDC: Post WWII green binde Pelikan 100N CI 14K B, post WWII black binde 100N 14K EEF, 400 Tortoise CI 14K BB. INKED: early 70s LAMY 2000 MK, Parker 51 Aerometric F & M, rOtring Art Pen 1.1 & 1.5 mm CI & Woodshed Pen Co. Red swirl 1.1 mm CI etc. Inks: Pelikan 4001 BB & Turquoise, vintage Parker Quink & Lamy Turquoise. Also, my own mixes. Desk pen: Black Pelikan 500NN with a 14K M-nib in a bakelite Pelikan pen holder.
Posted 13 March 2019 - 23:07
A nice idea for reviews and they are great pens. I don't use mine nearly as much as I should.
The Good Captain
"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"
Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:18
One of these is traveling to me right now. I have not seen one in person, and am eager for its arrival. It comes from an amazon.com Global Seller UK.
@JulieParadise: Good for you to have a pen you obviously enjoy with different nibs.
Posted 14 March 2019 - 13:38
Currently inked with Edelstein Aventurine although one of my favorite inks in it is KWZI El Dorado, which is a beautiful golden color that complements the color of the binde nicely.
"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain
Posted 14 March 2019 - 19:11
Agree with all
I currently inked my white tortoise with Edelstein Amber, using M nib.
LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT
Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:34
Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:24
I have a Lamy Safari. I am in process of buying Pelikan Souveran range maybe M1000 or M800.
Nice pens you have with you. Happy writing.
Knowledge ≠ Power
Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen pit stop, pelikan, souverän, m400, white tortoise
FPN Community →
Clubs, Meetings and Events →
Writing Instruments →
Fountain & Dip Pens - First Stop →
Inks, Inc. →
Ink Comparisons →
Writing Instruments →
Fountain Pen Reviews →
Brand Focus →