Inigo71

You just kind of straight up described a desiderata, but they don't use india ink. you can get close with platinum or sailor carbon ink, but that pen otherwise is exactly what you described.

thank you, I own one, I do not put any indian ink in it , just Pelikan black 4001 which is reasonably waterproof, for indian ink I use a Pelikan graphos, Osmiroid special indian ink sketch pen, my trusty Boston safety pen ,and an Ackerman pump pen with sergent-major nibs, but this new drawing pen is interesting

Edited by joly1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inigo71

• Honeybadgers

• joly1

• fountainpagan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I've been away for a while, it seems this pen became a flavor of the month?

Seems nice in principle and looking like it's working, so nice job and always hope for the best for the IndiGraph pens

Inigo71

Wonderful innovative pen. I looked on Kickstarter and I am confused about two things. Kindly clarify.

It is mentioned that the nibs are screw in. Are they Jowo? What size Jowo? If I have other Jowo screw in nib units #6 (of which I have many) will I be able to use them on your pen. Also I can choose an F or EF Nib presently only?

Thanks

Hi eytim.

Sorry for the late reply but I’ve been very busy these days.

We are using jowo 5 nibs but we are tuning then to work smoothly with indian ink.

You can use your own nibs if you plan to use it with regular inks or maybe carbon etc.

Sincerely

HI

I use mainly pens for drawing, I would love ,using it with indian ink,to have a Delrin model, postable, with the clip on the cap, fitted with a flex nib and able to be eyedropped, as drawing with a flexy nib on plein air consumes a lot of ink, but your project is very attractive,I love it.

Thanks joly1 for your support.

Just was SBRE Brown's review and it looks like the membrane is doing the job.

It raised a few questions

Do you plan on making the production model post? I'm not much of an artist, but I am a paramedic, so indian ink in a metal pen would be pretty awesome in the field. But it MUST post in order to be usable.

Is it using a #5 or #6 sized JoWo screw in nib unit? Have you tested it with one of the desiderata screw in JoWo dip nib feeds to see if there's space in the cap to allow it? You could just test it by taking a zebra G dip nib, squeezing the base of it with pliers to flatten it out a smidge, and then insert it into the pen with the standard EF nib's feed.

How long does the ink reservoir last, and does the membrane/reservoir ever need replacing? How often are you finding the pen needs cleaning, even with the water system (even my fountain pen friendly iron gall requires cleaning every couple months)

Is there a specific reason the clip makes it a nib-down orientation? Does it have drying out problems if the clip's in a nib-up orientation, or just trying to not block the water filler? If possible, I would prefer a nib up clip setup. with perhaps a friction fit clip that slides over the outside of the pen like a kaweco clip (that said, a kaweco clip might fit. What's the diameter of the cap?)

Hi Honey Badgers.

Regarding the post issue, we did on purpose that the cap does not post for several reasons, we want to keep the back of the body slim to improve the ergonomics for sketching, a bit like a nib holder, also the aluminium in touch with the aluminium will damage the surface and the weight balance is completely ruined for drawing.

But the idea of the pen is to make it a bit like a tool so in a near future we might design a different body with a post system and just buy that part.

The nib is a tuned jowo 5 but didn’t try the zebra nib, good suggestion.

The ink converter is standard and the water deposit lasts for months, the membrane does not need to be changed. The cleaning depends on the use, but so far we don't need to clean the pen unless you leave the pen uncapped. It will be ok to rise the pen with water when recharging the ink.

The clip is on the back for two reasons it improves the flow of the ink when using on a shirt pocket in contact with the heat of he body and to make the water loading easier.

Thanks a lot for all your detailed questions, sure they will help other people.

While I've been away for a while, it seems this pen became a flavor of the month?

Seems nice in principle and looking like it's working, so nice job and always hope for the best for the IndiGraph pens

Thanks a lot penzel.

thank you, I own one, I do not put any indian ink in it , just Pelikan black 4001 which is reasonably waterproof, for indian ink I use a Pelikan graphos, Osmiroid special indian ink sketch pen, my trusty Boston safety pen ,and an Ackerman pump pen with sergent-major nibs, but this new drawing pen is interesting

How has the boston safety been with india ink? I've been too scared to put any in mine, but I have an incredible wet noodle waterman #2 in it.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hi Honey Badgers.

Regarding the post issue, we did on purpose that the cap does not post for several reasons, we want to keep the back of the body slim to improve the ergonomics for sketching, a bit like a nib holder, also the aluminium in touch with the aluminium will damage the surface and the weight balance is completely ruined for drawing.

But the idea of the pen is to make it a bit like a tool so in a near future we might design a different body with a post system and just buy that part.

The nib is a tuned jowo 5 but didn’t try the zebra nib, good suggestion.

The ink converter is standard and the water deposit lasts for months, the membrane does not need to be changed. The cleaning depends on the use, but so far we don't need to clean the pen unless you leave the pen uncapped. It will be ok to rise the pen with water when recharging the ink.

The clip is on the back for two reasons it improves the flow of the ink when using on a shirt pocket in contact with the heat of he body and to make the water loading easier.

Thanks a lot for all your detailed questions, sure they will help other people.

Actually kind of a bummer that it uses the #5 JoWo. the desiderata system (and home made dip nib setups in general) use a #6.

Have you contacted flexible nib factory about putting together a screw in nib unit for a dip nib? it's -possible- that a zebra G could be made to fit in a #5 nib unit collar.

Making a version with a nib up orientation and a cap that posts (could just do a threaded screw to post that would prevent it from scratching) would be pretty sweet for people looking to use it for an everyday pen, and that'd definitely be a market expansion.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Actually kind of a bummer that it uses the #5 JoWo. the desiderata system (and home made dip nib setups in general) use a #6.

Have you contacted flexible nib factory about putting together a screw in nib unit for a dip nib? it's -possible- that a zebra G could be made to fit in a #5 nib unit collar.

Making a version with a nib up orientation and a cap that posts (could just do a threaded screw to post that would prevent it from scratching) would be pretty sweet for people looking to use it for an everyday pen, and that'd definitely be a market expansion.

Hi Honeybadgers.

We choose the number 5 because of the size, for sketching at least for me, the thinner the better, but there is a clear interest for a flex nib (im sure we will launch one) and the posting as well.

Right now the project is going really well, my aim is to be able to get great tools for drawing and calligraphy I hope this is a starting point and we can work it out.