The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Drawing Fountainpen For Indian Ink

indian watercolor drawing sketching urbansketching urban safari lamy waterproof design

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 19:32

I mean something like the desiderata or flexible nib factory - a dip nib, feed, and overfeed assembly that screws into the body. I grew up drawing with dip nibs, I really think they're the best for sketching.

Either way I'd buy one even if that wasn't planned. just a suggestion.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 19 March 2019 - 19:33.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Sponsored Content

#22 Inigo71

Inigo71

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:45

I mean something like the desiderata or flexible nib factory - a dip nib, feed, and overfeed assembly that screws into the body. I grew up drawing with dip nibs, I really think they're the best for sketching.

Either way I'd buy one even if that wasn't planned. just a suggestion.

Very interesting, they look very nice and I know it will be very nice for calligraphy and sketching. After the launch I will contact them so we can make a flexible nib for our pen it can be a very interesting joint venture.

Great idea

#23 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:47

I don't know; dip nibs are not stainless steel. If you're using a dip nib and keeping it extra-moist all the time with your humidity cap, won't it rust even more quickly than on a Desiderata or any of the other "dip nib in a fountain pen" solutions?

#24 Inigo71

Inigo71

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 15:45

I don't know; dip nibs are not stainless steel. If you're using a dip nib and keeping it extra-moist all the time with your humidity cap, won't it rust even more quickly than on a Desiderata or any of the other "dip nib in a fountain pen" solutions?

One possibility is to use chromed nibs or other kind of surface treatment to make them rust free.

#25 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 19:11

Very interesting, they look very nice and I know it will be very nice for calligraphy and sketching. After the launch I will contact them so we can make a flexible nib for our pen it can be a very interesting joint venture.

Great idea

FNF seems to actually be pretty down to do collaborative designs. I'd happily pay for that addition.

Also chromed nibs are still going to rust quickly. But we have lots of experience putting zebra G nibs in fountain pens, the rust forms along the nib slit itself where there is no chrome, but they still last 1-3 months.

The rust should actually be slower in a sealed cap because the oxygen exchange rate will be roughly less than, say, a noodlers pen with its porous resin.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 21 March 2019 - 19:13.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#26 Inigo71

Inigo71

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:12

In a few days I will post some pictures with different colors and nibs to know which color is your favorite for the first batch and if you prefer the modern looking nib or the classical one.

#27 Maurizio

Maurizio

Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• 1,219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 14:13

I’ve follwed this post from the OP. The pen is interesting. I would buy one for the stated price. Like Honeybadgers, I too would be especially interested in a nib unit which could accommodate replacement dip nibs such as the Zebra G.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace

Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

#28 jcm499

jcm499

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 17:29

The pen is very cool and I would definitely be interested in buying one.

I would however suggest, as gently as I can, that you consider the ramifications of using that Indian head logo in the United States. Native Americans aren’t an abstraction or a historical footnote here, they’re a living community with a long and fraught history of representation tied into terrible oppression, so they are understandably attuned to depictions of themselves by others.  That applies particularly here, where they are being used generically to represent a totally different culture, related only by a nonsensical name they were ignorantly given by colonizers who proceeded to commit genocide against them. I’m certainly not suggesting you have any malicious intent, only that you could be wading, perhaps unawares, into a currently hot controversy over the depiction of Native Americans in logos and as mascots.

See https://en.wikipedia...cot_controversy

#29 Inigo71

Inigo71

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 00:48

The pen is very cool and I would definitely be interested in buying one.

I would however suggest, as gently as I can, that you consider the ramifications of using that Indian head logo in the United States. Native Americans aren’t an abstraction or a historical footnote here, they’re a living community with a long and fraught history of representation tied into terrible oppression, so they are understandably attuned to depictions of themselves by others.  That applies particularly here, where they are being used generically to represent a totally different culture, related only by a nonsensical name they were ignorantly given by colonizers who proceeded to commit genocide against them. I’m certainly not suggesting you have any malicious intent, only that you could be wading, perhaps unawares, into a currently hot controversy over the depiction of Native Americans in logos and as mascots.

See https://en.wikipedia...cot_controversy

Thank you JCM for your info.

Never heard of that controversy here in Europe. Anyway it is not part of our logo, just used for the profile here, I will remove it. 

Sorry if anyone was ofended, not my intention just liked the icon.

#30 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:07

That's a really good point. Nobody here is likely offended, but that's not a kosher logo in the USA. For background, look up the washington redskins controversy.

I'd change it.

#31 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2019 - 12:41

I’ve follwed this post from the OP. The pen is interesting. I would buy one for the stated price. Like Honeybadgers, I too would be especially interested in a nib unit which could accommodate replacement dip nibs such as the Zebra G.

+1  :)  eventhough I would buy it as it is, for the given price, if with an XF nib.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

#32 Inigo71

Inigo71

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:56

I want to know your opinion on the aesthetics of these two nibs.

Which one do you prefer, the arrow or the classic shape?

Do you like the whole pen to look modern or the contrast between modern and classic?

I enclose some pictures.

Attached Images

• IMG_5648.jpg
  • IMG_5639.jpg
  • IMG_5642.jpg
  • IMG_5647.jpg

#33 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 15:24

With the slightly tapered back, I think the arrow nib fits the theme better.

#34 Inigo71

Inigo71

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 22:04

Good point!

#35 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 00:44

besides, the standard JoWo that doesn't have any custom scrollwork is getting played out, let's give some love to the arrow.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 29 March 2019 - 00:45.

#36 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:18

Absolutely.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

#37 Inigo71

Inigo71

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:31

This a preview of the packaging prototype.

The pen is going to include a small bottle (4ml) of indian ink specially formulated to improve the performance with our pen and an inner felt made of  recycled water bottles (PET), we wanted to have a simple and modern design that shows the pen when opening and gives a soft touch avoiding the typical black foam that looks very cheap.

Hope you like it.

Attached Images

• IMG_5609.jpg

#38 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:28

Very nice presentation: it comes across as a quality no-nonsense tool.

#39 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,466 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:11

Regarding the flow of the pen, the indian inks we recommend have good flow capabilities like Pelican or Pebeo, and the nibs are tuned for them, on the other side carbon inks work wonderful and the maintenance is not a problem, as when the pen is unused the vapor chamber keeps the ink fresh for months without problem.

Nice concept. Here’s some immediate questions which come to mind:

You said you are tuning these pens to India inks like Pelikan or Pebeo. I know nothing about Pebeo, but I know a good deal about Pelikan. Are you referring to their Fount India ink? If so, that is already a fountain pen ink. Or are you referring to Scribtol, which is not? Because if you are referring to Scribtol, you really have something there. On the other hand, you also mentioned Platinum Carbon Black, and inks like it, which are already fountain pen inks. Granted, not fountain pen friendly inks, but they, like the Pelikan Fount India ink, will work just fine in current fountain pens with a bit of care.

I bring this up because your pdf files look like your pen is being maneuvered to solve a problem by working with non-fountain pen inks, but it also looks like English isn’t a first language, which is totally fine, but I am trying to understand what you are working at doing? Is this pen supposed to work with dip pen inks? Or will it still have to work with fountain pen inks. Even though Pelikan Fount India is called “India,” it is NOT and Indian ink in the traditional sense and will still work with a pen as inexpensive as a Platinum Preppy. Some clarity on the copy may help solve this discrepancy.

#40 Inigo71

Inigo71

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:19

Nice concept. Here’s some immediate questions which come to mind:

You said you are tuning these pens to India inks like Pelikan or Pebeo. I know nothing about Pebeo, but I know a good deal about Pelikan. Are you referring to their Fount India ink? If so, that is already a fountain pen ink. Or are you referring to Scribtol, which is not? Because if you are referring to Scribtol, you really have something there. On the other hand, you also mentioned Platinum Carbon Black, and inks like it, which are already fountain pen inks. Granted, not fountain pen friendly inks, but they, like the Pelikan Fount India ink, will work just fine in current fountain pens with a bit of care.

I bring this up because your pdf files look like your pen is being maneuvered to solve a problem by working with non-fountain pen inks, but it also looks like English isn’t a first language, which is totally fine, but I am trying to understand what you are working at doing? Is this pen supposed to work with dip pen inks? Or will it still have to work with fountain pen inks. Even though Pelikan Fount India is called “India,” it is NOT and Indian ink in the traditional sense and will still work with a pen as inexpensive as a Platinum Preppy. Some clarity on the copy may help solve this discrepancy.

Hi eharriett.

We are talking about proper indian Inks, I am referring to Pelikan 17, not the fountain pen version pebeo is Indian Ink and speedball superblack, dip pen inks. We are also manufacturing our own indian ink that is a bit more fluent. I mention carbon because some people are afraid to use on regular pens, but ours keeps the ink fresh even after several months without use.

Thanks for your questions

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: indian, watercolor, drawing, sketching, urbansketching, urban, safari, lamy, waterproof, design

Sponsored Content

|