Truphae

NeverTapOut

Does anyone know why Truphae is so expensive?

All they are is a used pen dealer.

They are selling used 149's for $795.

Fountain Pen Hospital sells them new for $830.

Other dealers will price match Fountain Pen Hospital.

Why would anyone pay $795 for a used garden variety 149...we are not talking a LE 149.

Does anyone have buying experience with them and will they come down?

I don't want to insult them however for $35 more I can get a brand new one with a warranty and nib exchange.

Regards,

David

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeverTapOut

• zaddick

• Mulrich

• 1nkulus

David,

I do not know if this information is useful but Montblanc boutique hire in Santiago sells MB 149 new from factory U$ 1.193 tax included :yikes: :wallbash: Best Regards, René.

Truphae is a small shop with a variety of pens. They offer some interesting monthly pen boxes and other items. I have also seen items sold on eBay at auction that have gone for reasonable prices.

I have bought from the owner on eBay and directly. Both times I was happy with the deal I got and they were both aggressively priced and I pushed down prices a bit more. (I keep a close eye on market prices for MB 149s and LE pens.)

I agree the examples you gave are not well priced based on your description. If one is of interest, the owner is a reasonable person, good communicator, and will probably make you a deal. Or wait for it to sell on eBay. ;)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Or maybe it is a vintage 149 that could explain the price because a model rare. There is lot of 149 models sold so you have to consider the year, the rarity of the model, etc. to know if the price is good or not. If it is a modern 149 the price could be high but if it is an old one, the price could be good.

I've bought from Chris at Truphae before, and was very pleased with the deal. I have no doubt he will negotiate to ensure you feel comfortable with the price. Some of the prices on the website are rather high, but send him an offer with what you feel is fair, and you'll probably be surprised.

Or maybe it is a vintage 149 that could explain the price because a model rare. There is lot of 149 models sold so you have to consider the year, the rarity of the model, etc. to know if the price is good or not. If it is a modern 149 the price could be high but if it is an old one, the price could be good.

I've bought from Chris at Truphae before, and was very pleased with the deal. I have no doubt he will negotiate to ensure you feel comfortable with the price. Some of the prices on the website are rather high, but send him an offer with what you feel is fair, and you'll probably be surprised.

These were all 90's 149s...nothing special...all F and M nibs. It's hard to believe that people call 1990's vintage.

I must be getting old : )

I think I will call Chris.

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut

Prices will almost always be higher from a company than a private seller, but Truphae's current 149 prices still seem high (Chatterley has a used 149 available for $500).

Prices will almost always be higher from a company than a private seller, but Truphae's current 149 prices still seem high (Chatterley has a used 149 available for $500).

Mulrich...that's what I thought too. $695 on his site and $795 on eBay. My opinion is they are round $500 but I don't want to insult him especially since he has a good reputation. Those pens have been sitting there for 2+ months. I bet the reason is the price.

David

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut

Price is definitely part of it but generally more expensive things just take a long time to sell. I laugh whenever I see people who list expensive pens in the classified and drop their prices every week (or more often in other classifieds), thinking that $10 off a $500-800 pen is going to make a difference. Set a fair market price and wait for a buyer.

Sorry–this comment wasn't really about Truphae.

• 1 month later...

I spoke to Chris at Truphae today. Great guy. He has a lot of 90's NOS 149's. He wanted $675 for each one. I told him what I was paying overseas. He said he would match the price on used or NOS 149's that I was paying overseas. Am I better off just buying new in box and or are buy a 90's NOS. Where is the best value. I have an opinion. I wanted to hear from others.

Regards,

David

New comes with a warranty and a nub exchange option. At least the warranty is worth something. Also, pens post 2014 have an easier to remove nib unit that screws out with a rubber seal instead of sealant. None of those may matter, but for the same price they are free options.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

New comes with a warranty and a nub exchange option. At least the warranty is worth something. Also, pens post 2014 have an easier to remove nib unit that screws out with a rubber seal instead of sealant. None of those may matter, but for the same price they are free options.

Thanks Zaddick,

That's what I was thinking. I needed to hear from an expert. Anything goes wrong it's covered...It's not like its a collectible...90's are a dime a dozen. It's a writing tool that I plan on using. I appreciate it.

Regards,

David

Nib exchange would sway me towards the new option, unless the 90's NOS had a nib I was interested it or I could get a bulk deal.

The nib removal on the new pens is helpful with problematic inks.

I have used Noodler's in MB often. biggrin.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Nib exchange would sway me towards the new option, unless the 90's NOS had a nib I was interested it or I could get a bulk deal.

The nib removal on the new pens is helpful with problematic inks.

I have used Noodler's in MB often. biggrin.png

I think I am just going to buy new...he doesn't want to come down. However, I also put an offer on another 90's 149 today...Get a Bacas Blade grind...should look good because pen has some flex/cushion. After this I'm done for a while...no money for the Triangle Pen Show. I'll only be going grinds and ink I can use...until the next deal comes along...can anyone say home equity loan. My trust allows for classic cars...I wonder if I can get a pen through and what year does a MB become classic...1nkulus will say the day you buy it. : )

Regards,

David

Edited by Jesus1

If you buy new, get an OBB or O3B nib for the uniqueness.

The other way is buy one at the lowest price, irrespective of nib, and send it for a custom grind. You can't get any more custom than that.

As for classic, IMO, it would be at least 30 years.

OTOH, the 90's NOS would qualify next year. biggrin.png

I only have MB LE's and use them as a statement pen as and when the occasion demands it.

I am not particularly enamored by MB, it just helps with 'looking the part'. laugh.png

Pelikan, Lamy, Parker and Cross are more than fit for purpose IMO and I have had no issues. They are EDC and bulletproof.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.