The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diamine 30Ml Ink 5-Pack On Massdrop For $25.99

diamine ink massdrop ink packs 30ml

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shawnee

shawnee

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 14:16

I think this just started today. I've wanted to test out some Diamine inks. I think this is a decent way to do it . . . a 5 pack for $25.99

https://www.massdrop...&referer=JQZE4E

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:18

Cult Pens in the UK sells 30ml bottles of Diamine inks (in the 'regular' range of colours) for £1.96 -- excluding VAT for online orders to be shipped to Australia, North America, etc. -- as its normal price. That's approximately US$2.56 going by the currency exchange rates today. It also offers free international shipping for orders over a reasonably low threshold amount (£70). Obviously most people won't buy thirty-six 30ml bottles of ink just to qualify for free shipping, but if you're already buying something else -- such as a fountain pen, or even two or three of bottles of J.Herbin shimmer inks in the 1670 and 1798 Collections -- then getting to £70 would be easy.
A discussion about objects, techniques and applications should not be a contest of personal values. Your values mean nothing to me and require naught from me, and I'll gladly assume my values equally mean nothing to you and do not impose on you in any way; my dissenting views do not oppress your personal views, when neither of us can claim to represent the majority position or consensus, or speak on behalf of the community of fountain pen hobbyists worldwide. Let's treat each other with due respect prescribed by some entity bigger than either of us without our input and just offer our sentimental opinions of no particular standing with anyone else, without trying to control the narrative, or demand moral support and/or solidarity from others as consumers and users.

#3 PhotoJim

PhotoJim

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 16:10

I did this Massdrop a year or two ago - or one very similar to it, at least.

Unfortunately, the package was delivered on a freezing day and left by the letter carrier in my mailbox, so the inks froze and some leaked.

I'd happily do this again if I had the need, but only during times of year when freezing wasn't a risk, or I'd get it shipped to my office instead.

They ship from the US, but would not ship to my US post office box, which is peculiar.  It would have saved me some shipping costs, and guaranteed a warm place to sit until I could pick up the package.

Too many pens; too many inks. But at least I've emptied two ink bottles now.

#4 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 22:13

Cult Pens in the UK sells 30ml bottles of Diamine inks (in the 'regular' range of colours) for £1.96 -- excluding VAT for online orders to be shipped to Australia, North America, etc. -- as its normal price. That's approximately US$2.56 going by the currency exchange rates today. It also offers free international shipping for orders over a reasonably low threshold amount (£70). Obviously most people won't buy thirty-six 30ml bottles of ink just to qualify for free shipping, but if you're already buying something else -- such as a fountain pen, or even two or three of bottles of J.Herbin shimmer inks in the 1670 and 1798 Collections -- then getting to £70 would be easy.

For US buyers, the Massdrop deal is pretty good.  For an AUS based buyer, once you factor in shipping costs and exchange rates, it's cheaper to order direct from a UK buyer (Cult Pens, or even Diamine directly).

#5 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,381 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 22:22

For US buyers, the Massdrop deal is pretty good.

I'd say it's pretty good only for a limited set of circumstances, even for buyers in the US. They have to want to get four or five bottles at once — no more, no less — since on eBay and Amazon many of the colours can be had for a little over US$7 a bottle shipped individually, and the buyers aren't also interested in ordering a pen or two within the same timeframe.

A discussion about objects, techniques and applications should not be a contest of personal values. Your values mean nothing to me and require naught from me, and I'll gladly assume my values equally mean nothing to you and do not impose on you in any way; my dissenting views do not oppress your personal views, when neither of us can claim to represent the majority position or consensus, or speak on behalf of the community of fountain pen hobbyists worldwide. Let's treat each other with due respect prescribed by some entity bigger than either of us without our input and just offer our sentimental opinions of no particular standing with anyone else, without trying to control the narrative, or demand moral support and/or solidarity from others as consumers and users.

#6 shawnee

shawnee

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2019 - 23:28

I'd say it's pretty good only for a limited set of circumstances, even for buyers in the US. They have to want to get four or five bottles at once — no more, no less — since on eBay and Amazon many of the colours can be had for a little over US$7 a bottle shipped individually, and the buyers aren't also interested in ordering a pen or two within the same timeframe.

Smug Dill, I already feel like you're my pen enabler thank-you-very-much. I'm not sure I need more help in that direction.

Edited by shawnee, 12 March 2019 - 23:28.

#7 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 19:56

You're better off buying directly from Diamine (https://www.diamineinks.co.uk). The total price for five 30ml bottles with shipping according to today's exchange rate is £21.12/$28.06. Yes, it's another $2, but Diamine throws in a free 5ml sample with every purchase over £10, which is around $12. So you're actually breaking even.

Plus, you'll get your shipment FAR sooner than Massdrop will send it to you.

I never buy my Diamine ink from anyone but them anymore.

Edited by Aquaria, 15 March 2019 - 19:56.

#8 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2019 - 20:06

They ship from the US, but would not ship to my US post office box, which is peculiar.  It would have saved me some shipping costs, and guaranteed a warm place to sit until I could pick up the package.

You can get Amazon Prime, UPS and other such carriers who don't deliver to PO Boxes to do it, anyway, by having them send your parcels to the street address of the post office where you get mail. All you have to do is tack on your box number to the street address as if it's an apartment number. So this is how you would list your address:

123 Post Office Street #Your Box Number

Your Post Office City, State ZIP.

This is a little-known service that the USPS provides for all boxholders. I use it all the time.

It's beyond peace of mind to know that my parcels will go to a safe place, rather than to my doorstep where some scumbag will try to steal it. Or to a warm place, where I don't have to worry about inks freezing.

Edited by Aquaria, 15 March 2019 - 20:08.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine ink, massdrop, ink packs, 30ml

Sponsored Content

|