Edc: Vintage/precious Pen Armor?

peroride

Vintage or precious pen lovers, how do you carry your fine aged or precious pens for everyday use?

Despite surviving decades if not centuries, vintage pen material (urushi, hard rubber, celluloid, etc) is not like lucite bulletproof.

I have a cloth pen case and a tougher leather one but don't trust soft material.

Short of carrying in a box, most often a Parker Duofold snap clam plastic coffin or padded mailer, what do you use to carry?

2 points off if you reply, "Just hang off the back pants pocket" :unsure:

Thank you

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peroride

• JakobS

• inkstainedruth

• MalcLee

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Visconti Dreamtouch 2 and 3 pen cases with zip closures, and a Recife leather 2 pen cigar-style case. The Recife does not fit some of the pens. Usually it is the Visconti 2 pen.

X

The only "Edc" case I've got. The Pilot x Somes 3 pen case. Isn't vintage or precious, but it does its job.

post-147005-0-25744400-1552287207_thumb.jpg

If I only need a couple of pens, I have a 2 pen leather sleeve that Parker sent me as a sop a few years ago. If I need to carry more, I have a a small leather zipper case with elastic bands, which I got a few years ago from Toys from the Attic at a pen show, but which they no longer seem to sell. I also have a crocheted 7 pen roll which FPN member Helen350 sent me a few years ago in a swap. (It has the advantage of being cushiony soft). If I need to carry a lot of pens, I have a 12 pen leather zipper case (I think it's stamped Giroligio) which I picked up at the Toys from the Attic booth last year at the Baltimore-Washington Pen show. Like the smaller zipper case, it has elastic bands to hold the pens in place.

But honestly, this morning I had a Pelikan M405 (one of my two most expensive pens) and another pen in that Parker 2 pen sleeve.... If I was paranoid about damaging a pen, they wouldn't leave the house; but more likely, I wouldn't own one in the first place (Thursday, at my writing class, I brought the following pens with me -- in that Parker sleeve: that same Pelikan M405, the Parker Vacumatic Green Shadow Wave Speedline filler, and my Pilot Decimo.

The only pen I own that doesn't leave the house is a Morrison gold filled overlay ring top, and that's more because it has a bad habit of unscrewing itself from cap when I'm wearing it on the lanyard I made for it (and don't always have a shirt with a pocket to stick it in for protection agains that happening...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Shirt pocket for me, generally two to four, mostly late 1930-1960's Esterbrooks, or 1950's-70's Sheaffers...

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Shirt pocket here, too., one screw cap and one snap-on. Sometimes I'd take a 3rd and the pocket would be crowded due to also having cheaters in a soft sleeve so I recently started carrying a 3-slot clamshell case in my bag.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Depends on the day.Typically I have two in a shirt pocket, but I sometimes have as many as 8-10 pens at work. Then I have them in either a pen roll or a 12 pen Girologio case depending on what I have.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Vintage or precious pen lovers, how do you carry your fine aged or precious pens for everyday use?

When I was using my Pilot 'Hannya Shingyo' as my EDC, for a couple of weeks, back when I was working in an office I just carried it in my shirt pocket or the inside breast pocket on my jacket. It was (and still is) one of my favourite pens, and probably my single most expensive pen, but if I was going to ink it up and even take it out of the house for use, then I certainly wasn't going to handle it with kid gloves.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Shirt pocket............only.

Do have enough pen cases, vintage hard, and soft....modern also. My first one was a stiff leather cigar case...worked fine....then pen cases sort of popped up out of nowhere, until I have some eight of them.

Most of my suit coats have a pen pocket. Being retired means I don't need two pens, so don't need a pen case.

Which I wouldn't know how to carry to start with. A pen case could fall out of my shirt pocket. I don't put pens in pants pockets...on the other side of my jacket from my wallet I guess.

Don't have a belt carry pack/manbag.....guns ain't in here in Germany. (Likely needed due to lack of shirt pockets.)

Could carry a pen case with a jacket....but being retired would only use the pen pocket, for an extra pen....main carry shirt pocket.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I generally rely on just being careful, but when I want extra protection I use this MB case I picked up a couple of decades ago.

I have a 12-pen zippered case that I used to tote around full of inked pens, but I don't carry that many anymore. These days, I carry 3-4 pens and just put them in the pen pockets in my backpack. When I'm at the office, they're lying on the desk next to a notebook.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

I have two pen cases from Franklin Christoph that hold two pens and one that holds three; they are stiff leather and offer minimal "crush" protection. I always carry one pen in my shirt pocket or clipped to my t-shirt collar -- anything I want to have with me beyond that goes in one of the aforementioned pen cases. They are OK, but I'd like to find something better: softer interior, more rigid shell...

Sorry, no vintage pens here, but thought I should offer my two cents anyway.

A cigar case works. Many are quite rigid and crush proof. Marshalls and TJ Maxx had them years ago, flap top with dividers that we converted into pen cases.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thank you for all the carry options, everyone.

It's been so cold in the winter that I've been wearing sweaters and fleece at our no-dress policy office.

Today we got a break and temps climbed up a bit so I went formal and wore a genuine pocketed shirt.

It works! duh :doh:

Now I have an excuse to look decent instead of the usual cube shlubby.

Though I still wouldn't trust 100+ Waterman rusty clip-cap secured to pocket and instead will take up a new hobby: Cigars! :puddle:

Just kiddin' I'll start searching for those hard cigar cases. :)

Leather pen cases.

Individual (i have both soft and hard leather individual pen cases).

Double (one of those where each of the two are kept separate of the other.

Oh, and two leather smartphone cases of the pocket kind I found cheap on a sale. Here they are all banging against each other so I use them for the briefcase where they'll not be too loose.

You can find cigar boxes shaped to keep cigars separate that will work as well for pens.

Ah! I forgot: I also have a couple of lens cases (you know, for reading lenses) that are slim enough, metallic for endurance, soft lined on the inside, and where I can safely carry two or three pens as well as a microfibre cloth to protect/clean/polish them and -occasionally- I carried an insulin (1ml) syringe and small vial for refilling.

In other words, there are way too many cheap methods to keep your pens safe.

Ah, yes! And I also have a small metallic Berkleys mints box that I use to protect a tiny weeny mini "Peggy" pen. Like their larger, standard sized Altoids or Berkleys boxes, they are great safe EDC carriers (that's where I keep nibs, and you can use their different colors to code contents).

And for some, like others do, on a shirt or jeans pocket (love that with the Montblanc Noblesse) --so, draw off three points from my score!

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Two methods:

- when not at work (at home, out, shopping, ...) it used to be shirt pocket all the time. Untill a few weeks ago, taking some stuff up to the attic, raising the box unclipped a Lamy Vista from my shirt pocket. It dropped a few meters and broke. So now, when not at work, I'll have my brand new Kaweco BRASS sport in the pocket of my pants at all times.

- For work, I carry the pens in a 3 pen leather pencase. Once at work or at the client, one of the pens will be at the desk while sitting and in my shirt pocket while moving around.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif