Buying First Mb

City74

Im looking into buying my first MB pen. Im most likely going to go with a 146 or possibly a travelers pen. My question is in regards to pricing. Sorry if this has been covered before and if it has then point me in the right direction and I will read thru another thread on this topic, and this one can be closed

Anyways, I know going to a boutique means paying retail price or at least very close to it. Im not interested in buying grey market (Jomashop etc) but am open to ADs. I have gotten a quote from an AD of about 10% off retail for the pens Im interested in. Does that seem like an average discount for ADs? Is that percent good or bad?

Thanks for any help

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• City74

• SpecTP

• RenM

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends where you live. If you’re in the US, you can save as much as 35% by buying from an AD in Europe vs a US boutique. This was just discussed in the recent thread “Mb 149 EF to B or BB.” Good luck with your purchase!

It depends where you live. If you’re in the US, you can save as much as 35% by buying from an AD in Europe vs a US boutique. This was just discussed in the recent thread “Mb 149 EF to B or BB.” Good luck with your purchase!

Thank you. That helped. Yea Appelboom is quite a bit cheaper em any price I have seen or gotten in the states.

I recently bought several pens from La Couronne du Comte and I was very pleased with the experience. The owner, Dennis Van de Graf, is a true gentleman and very responsive to email inquiries. LCdC is my go-to store for new Mbs. If you subscribe to their newsletter you will be notified when they have 20% discounts.

A Brand new pen is always nice

But if you shop around a great 146 can be had from a reputable sell in the 225 to 350 range depending on condition , condition, condition

Good Luck Tom ( actually my name is Tom )

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

A Brand new pen is always nice

But if you shop around a great 146 can be had from a reputable sell in the 225 to 350 range depending on condition , condition, condition

Good Luck Tom ( actually my name is Tom )

Thx for the advice. I should have mentioned I wanted a new pen

Check out the fountain pen hospital in New York. They have a great website. There is also Appelboom pens. They ship all over the world.

I checked FPH and they are about $50 more then Appelboom. I also emailed Appelboom a question and they replied quick and were very nice as well. I’m pretty sure they will be getting my business

I checked FPH and they are about $50 more then Appelboom. I also emailed Appelboom a question and they replied quick and were very nice as well. I’m pretty sure they will be getting my business

don't forget to account for cost of shipping overseas and US Custom fees

My experience with LCdC has been free shipping and no customs fees (so far). IIRC, the customs fee on pens imported from Europe to the US is 2.4%, if they bother to apply it. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky; perhaps others will weigh in.

My experience with LCdC has been free shipping and no customs fees (so far). IIRC, the customs fee on pens imported from Europe to the US is 2.4%, if they bother to apply it. Maybe I’ve just gotten lucky; perhaps others will weigh in.

Yea the import thing is odd. I have bought watches from overseas and gotten no customs then I have gotten them on other items. I know there are so odd laws about it but not exactly sure how it all works

Went and checked out some pens again. I really wish they made something smaller then the 145 or 146. I’d like to carry my MB but in the summer I clip my pen to the front of my polo between the buttons and the 146 is just to big to feel comfy. The Mozart is discontinued and harder to find and might be to small even. I’m nit going vintage so thats out. Might just have to get the 146 and not carry it until it’s coat season again

Went and checked out some pens again. I really wish they made something smaller then the 145 or 146. I’d like to carry my MB but in the summer I clip my pen to the front of my polo between the buttons and the 146 is just to big to feel comfy. The Mozart is discontinued and harder to find and might be to small even. I’m nit going vintage so thats out. Might just have to get the 146 and not carry it until it’s coat season again

If you've got some family/friends in Melbourne you could ask them to purchase the Mozart for you. Melbourne pen depot still has the Mozart in platinum.

https://melbournependepot.com.au/34-mozart

Edited by AndyLogan

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

I checked FPH and they are about $50 more then Appelboom. I also emailed Appelboom a question and they replied quick and were very nice as well. Im pretty sure they will be getting my business

Lots of positive vibes about them.

Have you checked out a 144? They are notably smaller than a 146, are c/c and only slightly bigger than a Mozart (IIRC). Might be worth checking into.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Have you checked out a 144? They are notably smaller than a 146, are c/c and only slightly bigger than a Mozart (IIRC). Might be worth checking into.

They aren’t made anymore either so finding a new one is tough

They aren’t made anymore either so finding a new one is tough

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of stock still available.