The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum 3776 - Switch Nibs?

14 replies to this topic

#1 tooloose-letrek

tooloose-letrek

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:34

I recently purchased a Platinum Century 3776, F nib.  Even for a Japanese pen, I found the F nib to be closer to an XF Japanese nib.  Great pen.  However, I think a M nib on this pen would be more to my liking.  I especially like the color I purchased and was thinking, if I bought a second 3776 (different color, of course), can I swap the nibs between the two pens?

Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 11:55

If you're interested in a western M, I have a B nib that I don't use and would be willing to trade. It's a solid western medium. 

The Medium 3776 will be more like a western fine/medium

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#3 tooloose-letrek

tooloose-letrek

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:19

I have a tendency of breaking things and might I deduce that removing the nib section is that easy?  

Thanks for the offer but I intend to keep both pens/nibs.   

#4 jekostas

jekostas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 17:50

The nib and feed are friction fit and keyed to the section, they're very easy to remove and replace.

#5 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2019 - 17:53

Presuming the 3776 is similar to the President and Izumo, it should be a straight pull. However the initial fit may be quite tight.

I managed to get a slight tine mis-alignment* pulling the nib/feed from the President (President and Izumo use the same nib/feed -- larger than 3776, and I was trying to diagnose a problem in the Izumo# by swapping the feed, but not nib). Mostly got the nib back in alignment, every so often I'll thumbnail the tine upwards for a few seconds just to see if it will tweak a hair more.

* trying to rock the base, pad of thumb apparently pushed down on a tine

# still don't know if the first problem is solved -- if I sealed the section ferrule with nail polish, the feed tended to starve; if not sealed, feed stays wet, but I get ink up the outside of the ferrule and into the barrel... it is NOT coming from the converter/cartridge nipple as the cartridge is dry inside the ferrule

#6 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 07:59

Yep, the nib is friction fit.

A somewhat brutal removing (it was friction fit but oh, was there friction!  :wacko:  ) of my 3776 Bourgogne SF nib+feed helped me make it usable, as it was way too dry initially. Once I gave the nib and feed a thorough wash with water and dish soap the problem was solved and flow was just as I wanted it to be.

#7 geodesigner

geodesigner

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2019 - 15:52

Yes, you can swap 3776 nibs. Just pull, firmly and straight. Cant't emphasize straight enough - don't twist, or the feed will break.

The only exception being the music nibs. You can't put the music nib and feed on any 3776 section, they are different for some reason.

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall

#8 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• 8,943 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:41

While it can be done, you either have to locate a nib from another pen or make it a frankenpen with the right size and wrong branding. Because Platinum doesn't sell replacements.

I am completely happy with the B nib on my Borgogne 3776.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#9 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:43

Sometimes they can be super tight and feel really bad to remove, but they always pull straight out. 

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#10 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:50

It seems as if everyone has missed an important part of the OP:

if I bought a second 3776 (different color, of course), can I swap the nibs between the two pens?

If the OP buys another 3776 pen, you simply swap the sections, nib and all. No worries about pulling the stuff and messing up the feed or misaligning the nib. I have 6 of these pens and it just happens that a plain black and the bourgogne  have reverse color sections. It's actually attractive, reminiscent of some of the color combo LE pens made for some of the Japanese pen stores, and all you had to do was swap sections. Easiest pen mod in the universe.

Edited by JonSzanto, 25 March 2019 - 06:50.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#11 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:41

I I used a thick rubber band for a while to help remove friction fit nibs which worked relatively well,

so I then I tried out that Goulet Grip and it made it easier.

https://www.gouletpe...=11884650561579

I imagine you may be able to find some alternative, but it's this little very helpful thing that makes gripping and removing nibs easier.  Makes it so I'm less prone to damaging a nib on removal or insertion.

I actually cut the thing in half to make two rubber strips out of it, but it works well as one piece, too.

#12 Paul80

Paul80

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:25

That Goulet grip looks suspiciously like a strip of art shop foam sheet, that costs about 2 bucks for an A4 sheet.

Either that or a strip of old inner tube from a bike would do.

Paul

#13 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:39

It's a solid piece of rubber.  It's like a rubber band that's thick and doesn't really stretch.  It had a strong rubbery smell at first, which has worn off.

The thick rubber bands I used prior were OK, but still didn't work well for tough jobs like the one described on this thread.

I found the Goulet Grip made it much easier and safer to remove tight fitting nibs and feeds.

It does seem like they cut up a larger sheet into sections.  I think it was clever.  It works very well, it's $2, and I don't need to buy another one.

It's one of my top accessories, next to the Bulb Syringe, Regular Syringes (I like to refill cartridges), Brass Sheets, and Brawny Paper Towels.

#14 BecauseItIs

BecauseItIs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2020 - 11:36

If you're interested in a western M, I have a B nib that I don't use and would be willing to trade. It's a solid western medium. 

The Medium 3776 will be more like a western fine/medium

I have an M if you are interested? :ninja:

#15 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 June 2020 - 18:45

I have an M if you are interested?  :ninja:

M was the only nib size I don't actually want  :P I don't use my B much because it's so close to an M

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|