The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Montegrappa Moon Landing Open Edition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nibsdotcom

Nibsdotcom

Extremely Rare

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 19:54

Released to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of Apollo 11 and Neil Armstrong's first steps on the moon, the NASA-approved Montegrappa Moon Landing Open Edition adapts the design of the Saturn V rocket to a stylish and fully functional fountain pen. Even the pen case emulates sample boxes used to collect lunar soil!

Normally furnished with only a steel nib, we provide this pen with your choice of Montegrappa 18k solid gold rhodium-plated nib, qualifying this pen for our complimentary nib tuning services as well as our exclusive nib customizations. Retail $645, our price with 18k nib $495.

Click here to see more lunar-themed offerings, including the handcrafted Nakaya Long Cigar Moon and Enjoying The Moon Cat series pens, along with Field Notes Three Missions limited edition notebooks...

Attached Images

• 05_ISMLR_UE_2_S.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:41

There is another model that's got a cool mechanism that exposes the piston as well that much more closely apes the Saturn V.

But it's like six thousand f**king dollars.

This one is just kind of boring looking, like something that monteverde might poo out for $65. That step looks uncomfortable, it's got a completely standard montegrappa steel nib with no unique scrollwork, the clip (designed to mimic the umbilical gantry) looks cheap, and the whole thing just doesn't look special at all.

I'm sorry Montegrappa, but I don't see anything even remotely approaching a good value in a single pen they make. Offering it with a gold nib does a lot to help, but even still... at $600 We're still well beyond the price where gimmick pens should cost without some truly special party piece.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 09 March 2019 - 12:43.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#3 dinupravin

dinupravin

I like 19th Century Classics

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 14:36

Limited Edition / Special Edition == costly

Knowledge  Power 

#4 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2019 - 00:34

I disagree with the practice of increasing cost purely due to artificial scarcity. Some people may fall prey to it, (if the price difference is within 5-10% of a similar product offered) but I don't like to support that practice.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#5 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,163 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:17

I kind of wish people posted derogatorily of vendors' wares in other subforums.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

Sponsored Content

|