Ranga Pens: Where/how To Buy?

FountainClogger

Does anyone have a capped Slim Bamboo and a Sugarcane side by side picture?

I don't, but in response to this old thread, I can say that I have purchased directly from the site and a pen is on its way to me.

Here is one from PSP if that helps 85AKbN: (Doesn't show sugarcane, but you can probably compare one of those to the sugarcane, as the bamboo slim is shown)

ranga_model_comparison.jpg

Edited by WLSpec

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhguda

• sansenri

• Jamerelbe

• Strombomboli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can say that I have purchased directly from the site and a pen is on its way to me.

Are you sure that it's on its way? When was it sent? I.e., is the Indian Post still working? After all, the whole country has been shut down this week in a rather brutal way.

I purchased a pen several weeks ago, and Kandan wrote me on the 2nd of March , that he'll definitely send the pen in two weeks. That would have been on the 16th, however, I haven't heard from him since. I don't dare to ask about it, since they must have enough problems, even without mails from disgruntled customers ...

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Are you sure that it's on its way? When was it sent? I.e., is the Indian Post still working? After all, the whole country has been shut down this week in a rather brutal way.

I purchased a pen several weeks ago, and Kandan wrote me on the 2nd of March , that he'll definitely send the pen in two weeks. That would have been on the 16th, however, I haven't heard from him since. I don't dare to ask about it, since they must have enough problems, even without mails from disgruntled customers ...

I got an email with tracking. The pen is on its way and in the mail... but it hasn't reached the USA yet. I assume it is stuck in India (the tracking number says it has been in India for a few weeks, and it doesn't look like it is moving)

But it is in the mail.

Edited by WLSpec

Tracking pens sent from India is notoriously difficult - the tracking seems to stop somewhere in India, and under normal circumstances it can take another 3-4 weeks to reach me here in Aus. Remember too, these aren't normal circumstances - so it could well take a bit longer!

Tracking pens sent from India is notoriously difficult - the tracking seems to stop somewhere in India, and under normal circumstances it can take another 3-4 weeks to reach me here in Aus ...

Thank you for informing me of this.

... Remember too, these aren't normal circumstances - so it could well take a bit longer!

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Slim Bamboo orange premium ebonite with JoWa medium nib from peytonstreetpens. Second pic is with the Lamy Al-Star Turmaline. A great writer.

SkwD43N.jpg

hD2f336.jpg

U3sspH5.jpg

I got my Slim Bamboo orange premium ebonite with JoWa medium nib from peytonstreetpens. Second pic is with the Lamy Al-Star Turmaline. A great writer.

SkwD43N.jpg

hD2f336.jpg

U3sspH5.jpg

Congrats, a beauty!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any information on the situation at Ranga?

I still don't have the pen of which Kandan informed me about a delay in shipping on March 2nd. I've sent him a mail a week ago to inquire if the Indian post is working again, but didn't receive an answer.

They're based not very far away from Chennai which is under lockdown again, so I'm worried and hope everyone is healthy there.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Does anyone have any information on the situation at Ranga?

I still don't have the pen of which Kandan informed me about a delay in shipping on March 2nd. I've sent him a mail a week ago to inquire if the Indian post is working again, but didn't receive an answer.

They're based not very far away from Chennai which is under lockdown again, so I'm worried and hope everyone is healthy there.

I got mine maybe 2 weeks ago, shipped directly from Ranga - I ordered in (I think) in mid-February.

Thank you! I'll send another mail and if I don't get an answer again, I'll ask PayPal to cancel my payment.

Iris

No packages can leave India at least until the end of the month. I'm still waiting on my acrylic.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

When you speak of the devil ... I had just anwered to this post, when I received a mail from Kandan. He tells me the same--Chennai in lockdown, India Post not working until June 30th. So I'll have to wait.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

• 8 months later...

Was wondering if anyone has recently ordered from Ranga?

Strombomboli: out of curiosity, did you have any extra custom fees for your order?

Thanks for your help,

//Loke

Check out my website about Photography and Ink-making: WWW.LOKE.BE

2 hours ago, Loke said:

Was wondering if anyone has recently ordered from Ranga?

Strombomboli: out of curiosity, did you have any extra custom fees for your order?

Thanks for your help,

//Loke

I placed an order shortly before Christmas - the first Abhimanyu group buy.  They're using a more expensive courier (can't remember who), which means they're charging buyers for postage (it used to be included in the price) - but the pen arrived in Australia within a week or two of ordering, as opposed to the lengthy delays associated with India Post.

Same here, I got one of their new Abhimanyu from the group buy and it got here lightning fast, less than a week, when earlier it has taken even up to two months. That is because Ranga is forced to use fast couriers due to the covid issues which likely are still causing havoc on the Indian post system.

I then ordered two further pens, directly from Mr Kandan (email contact) and these got here even faster! (about 3 days).

So in that respect no issues, ok, there's some extra cost due to the courier but that's not unusual for many sellers... In the current situation I'd say service is unaffected.

(there's a current group buy on the Ranga 4 which seems to be going unattended, at least I've seen no replies... regretfully it's not my favourite model - slightly too big for me - but a nice pen if you have larger hands )

oh, and no extra fees of any sort due to import

The last few purchases I made from Ranga were shipped via DHL. Very fast from India to the US. I believe the rate was $15. 

As to the current group buy, I have a Model 4 in premium ebonite without the clip. It's a lovely pen. If I didn't have one, I'd certainly get one during the group buy.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

yes, they are very nice pens. I find them very slightly too big for me, but then again I have medium sized hands and my preferred size is the Model 3. However I do own a  couple of model 4 nonetheless! :)

I also would agree that on a larger pen like the model 4 clipless is the way to go.

The Ranga 4 is the blue one in the middle

large.1391841739_P1140775-3Ranga345.jpg.992c1d7c6642da8a7c40ad180e94b3c4.jpg

4 hours ago, Loke said:

If I remember correctly, I didn't.

In Germany, things that cost less than 22 € are exempt from custom fees. If you're lucky, the customs people don't care about things that might have cost 32 €, so I guess, I was lucky. (I don't remember how much I actually paid, but I think it was over 22 €.)

Iris

Thank you for the answers, I appreciate it.

I will check for the group order but I'm afraid I would also prefer the model 3.

Anyone in Europe interested by a common buy maybe?

edit: about these Ranga pens, did someone test their flex version? I am fond of FPR's ultraflex nibs and wonder how they compare to these.

Check out my website about Photography and Ink-making: WWW.LOKE.BE

2 hours ago, Loke said:

Thank you for the answers, I appreciate it.

I will check for the group order but I'm afraid I would also prefer the model 3.

Anyone in Europe interested by a common buy maybe?

edit: about these Ranga pens, did someone test their flex version? I am fond of FPR's ultraflex nibs and wonder how they compare to these.

I have one Ranga flex nib (though I think I might eventually get another one): very smooth writer, a pleasure to use - but somewhat stiffer than the FPR Ultraflex (closer to their regular flex nibs, despite the scalloping of the sides), and requires more downward force on the paper to get the tines to spread. 

I've mostly bought my Ranga pens sans nibs in the past (threaded to insert a JoWo or Bock nib from my existing 'collection') - but when I saw you could buy Ranga nibs in a JoWo-compatible assembly, I decided to try that out last time around - ordered the pen with a flex nib (as per the photo), and asked them to thrown in a BB nib.  Both glorious writers, really smooth across the page - in future, that'll be my default option!

Ranga FPR Flex nibs.jpg

Edited to add: I wrote these samples in a hurry, the FPR nib doesn't usually railroad that much (this pen uses a very wet ebonite feed, too!).  The Ranga nib unit comes with a plastic feed as standard, but that seems to write pretty wet too - not as much as the FPR nib, but more than enough to keep up with the flex nib.

Edited by Jamerelbe
Additional information