The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ranga Pens: Where/how To Buy?

ranga buy official website

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 FountainClogger

FountainClogger

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:37

I'd like to buy a Ranga pen form an official source, that is directly form the manufacturer if that's possible. Apart from the occasional group buys that appear on FPN and managed by Ranga people, I noticed that there's the website: rangapens.com. Given that I don't want to be limited by the options offered in the group buys, I would like to order a pen based on my personal preferences and specifications and I was thinking of doing that through the aforementioned website. Now, my questions are:

1. Is that Ranga's official website?
2. Has anyone bought pens from that website and, if so, how was your experience?
3. Are the shipping costs included in the price? Because there's a widget there on the website to estimate those costs, but it seems it doesn't do anything...

Thanks.

Edited by FountainClogger, 08 March 2019 - 12:38.

Sponsored Content

#2 Yohaanrods

Yohaanrods

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 15:19

I am not sure whether one can buy through their website, but you can definitely mail them directly with your specifications and requirements.
They are extremely prompt at reply and provide great service!
Yes, shipping charges are extra

#3 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 23:20

Mr MP Kandan, whose father (I believe) makes the pens, can be contacted at mpkandan@yahoo.co.in. I've never ordered a custom pen, just purchased Group Buy pens, but I've always found him to be responsive and helpful.

#4 fountainpen51

fountainpen51

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 00:10

Until recently they were on Ebay with all its range, I do not know if their departure is temporary or permanent.
I spoke a few days ago with them, for orders they are having about 6 months of waiting.

#5 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:10

Peyton Street pens sells Rangas. They are located here in the US and so it might save you on shipping. Teri is a good person to do business with, and a nice person to know in general, if you run across them at pen shows.

I will say, though, that my last purchase was a Ranga Sugarcane off of an FPN group buy. I later checked out the same model at peytonstreetpens.com and it came to about the same price on their site as what I paid in the group buy so Im not sure if the group buys a necessarily economical. You are directly interacting with the manufacturer when you participate in a group buy so that would be a plus (if you dont mind the wait of having your pen custom made and shipped all the way from India).

#6 Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:35

I will say, though, that my last purchase was a Ranga Sugarcane off of an FPN group buy. I later checked out the same model at peytonstreetpens.com and it came to about the same price on their site as what I paid in the group buy so Im not sure if the group buys a necessarily economical. You are directly interacting with the manufacturer when you participate in a group buy so that would be a plus (if you dont mind the wait of having your pen custom made and shipped all the way from India).

That's a good point as it turns out that the value will depend on the model you want. I did the math for the model I wanted which was a more standard one ( a model 3C) and the group guy option at the time with really did save me some money in exchange for the wait time. I notice however that for the specialty pens the price does turn out about the same.
Inked up: Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo
Inks currently using: Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black
Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

#7 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

I can't write with ballpoint pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:23

I ordered a pen directly from Ranga ten days ago. No shipping costs came up during the payment process, so I guess they're included. However, there was no mention of how long it will take before I receive the pen.

In the order confirmation it says:

Shipping Method

Table Rates

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

#8 RudraDev

RudraDev

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:35

www.thepenworld.com sells them now,but you won't find the full range.

#9 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:28

Sent you a PM however, do email Mr Kandan directly (email address suggested above)
If what you are looking for is custom manufacture its the easiest way to get into direct contact. Mr Kandan will be pleased to listen to your requests and make suggestions/proposals according to his availability of materials etc.

#10 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:28

www.thepenworld.com sells them now,but you won't find the full range.

That's for shipping within India

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#11 FountainClogger

FountainClogger

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 19:16

Thanks everybody for your answers.

A brief follow-up: as sansenri suggested, I emailed Mr. Kandan asking him if there was any preferred way to place orders and he confirmed that it's possible to purchase Ranga pens through the above mentioned website and that international shipping costs are included in the price displayed. I placed my order this evening. Let's see how it goes.

#12 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 20:50

glad to be useful, hope you will like their pens, there is really artisan work behind them which makes them unique, and the people at Ranga are collaborative and helpful in a way that is uncommon nowadays

#13 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 23:39

I ordered a pen directly from Ranga ten days ago.

Yesterday I received a mail that the pen had been shipped two days before along with a tracking number and the proclamation

You will be receiving the pens soon. (2-4 weeks at maximum) from Shipment date.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

#14 FountainClogger

FountainClogger

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:25

Follow-up #2. The pen I ordered arrived today in perfect condition. Everything went well.

#15 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2019 - 16:50

This is my follow-up: the pen I ordered on the 6th of March was sent to Germany, spent two weeks at Frankfurt airport, then was sent back; presumably because there was a probelm with the address (it was sent back right away, no delivery attempt). Mr Kandan then sent it again, it arrived at Frankfurt airport two weeks ago, nothing happened till then. To be continued.

Iris

#16 Strombomboli

Strombomboli

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 23:27

Sorry, I forgot the next follow-up: the pen arrived three weeks after my last post, and I'm very happy with it. It's a model 8 pen. I chose the flashiest ebonite on offer, and it looks beautiful. More importantly, the giant Kanwrite nib writes very smooth.

Attached Images

• IMG_20190606_140453.jpg
  • IMG_20190606_140515.jpg

Iris

#17 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 23:34

Looks good, that's one of the nicest premium ebonite available, one of my favourite shapes too.

#18 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,851 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 23:36

PS

in case of interest there's a group buy on Ranga ebonite models in matt (bakul) finish on now in the Pay It Forward, Loaner Programs & Group Buys forum

#19 mpkandan

mpkandan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:02

Sorry, I forgot the next follow-up: the pen arrived three weeks after my last post, and I'm very happy with it. It's a model 8 pen. I chose the flashiest ebonite on offer, and it looks beautiful. More importantly, the giant Kanwrite nib writes very smooth.

Thanks Strombomboli for the beautiful pictures and patience 

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranga, buy, official website

Sponsored Content

|