• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OmegaMountain

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• MalcLee

So do the Pilots. Although presumably they're Vanishing Points and not Decimos.... Sigh.

What is the blue pen in the middle of the page? It seems kinda short and fat, but that blue color is pretty amazing.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That blue pen ( I love the looks of it too ) is an Eboya special release for the Mitsukoshi pen show - 「Manten」=「満天」- an East Asian sobriquet for a star filled night sky manifested on the pen for the Mitsukoshi pen festival.

Edited by MalcLee

So do the Pilots. Although presumably they're Vanishing Points and not Decimos.... Sigh.

They're Decimos! :)

Really? Cool!

Don't suppose they'll be available for the US market, though....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Don't suppose they'll be available for the US market, though...

[日本橋三越本店限定 各色100本]

Considering it's a limited edition specially produced for the Nihombashi Mitsukoshi Main Store, with only 100 units in each colour, I don't think so. However, Americans may yet be able to buy it on eBay from someone who is reselling new, factory-sealed units at a significant profit, with international shipping costs from Japan to the US factored into the equation, and effectively sans product warranty — if they want access to the product badly enough.

Welcome to the global marketplace! The world is a better place because of it.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That blue pen ( I love the looks of it too ) is an Eboya special release for the Mitsukoshi pen show - 「Manten」=「満天」- an East Asian sobriquet for a star filled night sky manifested on the pen for the Mitsukoshi pen festival.

I bought one of the 15 - it's even prettier in person.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Really? Cool!

Don't suppose they'll be available for the US market, though....

They sold some online. Wish I would have known - I would have bought one for you if you wanted. I considered the blue one, but the design didn't really appeal to me.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

That Nakaya looks so beautiful!

I was sorely tempted to buy it instead of the Eboya because they only made two of the Nakayas - but $2000... I may be kicking myself later though.

I bought one of the 15 - it's even prettier in person.

That is great to hear that it looks better in person - because it looked great on Eboya's facebook photo. This and the Maruzen release are very unlike their usual line up and it is a really big pen. Enjoy it in good health !

I'll be getting mine ~ 4 weeks after the close of the Mitsukoshi pen show with a Medium Fine nib. I am sure as looking forward to it !

Edited by MalcLee

They sold some online. Wish I would have known - I would have bought one for you if you wanted. I considered the blue one, but the design didn't really appeal to me.

Thanks but I suspect I couldn't have afforded it. I saw the 2019 LE pale green one on some website just now, and it was nearly twice the US retail price for a "standard" color. I did well on the light grey one price wise by buying from a reputable eBay seller in Japan at Christmastime -- and the light green one was more than twice what I paid, including the economy airmail shipping. I really do not understand Pilot's rationale for not selling all the standard colors in the US (I actually contacted Pilot-USA a couple of years ago to ask why the light grey and dark blue Decimos were not available in the US (at the time the US market was "allowed" to have the light blue, purple, burgundy and "champagne pink"), while there were all sorts of cool colors available here for the full size Vanishing Point. And was told "It's a marketing decision" (which I'm surmising means "We don't think anyone would want the smaller size pen except women, so we're only going to make the 'girly' colors available for the US market" :angry:). Heck, if if wasn't for the pens being too big for my hand, I could definitely see myself using a bright yellow VP. Or one of the metallic purple ones. But no. Up until last year they wouldn't even sell half the available colors of Decimos in the US (now at least the Dark Blue -- which was my second choice after the light grey has made it to the US market. And if I could afford one I'd definitely consider getting one -- maybe with a broad nib to complement the fine nib on the light grey.

Sigh.... You'd think a customer saying "Hey, why don't you...?" might have a *little* sway in what is a niche market. Apparently Champagne is popular -- but I think that it's just a hideous color (when someone on the chat line on the Goulet Pens told me that it was their best selling color my reaction was "Are you SERIOUS? :o").

I bet that there are other women like me who don't necessarily like "girly" -- and plenty of guys with smaller hands who would like some the other colors like the grey as well (heck, a friend of mine has huge hands and he likes some tiny vintage pens like Peter Pans...).

I considered the blue one, but the design didn't really appeal to me.

Being a limited edition aside, considering there is no raden, maki-e or 'precious' wood involved in the making of the barrel, I personally think that A$315 (plus tax, whether that's 8% domestic consumption tax or 10% Australian GST) for a Pilot Capless Decimo is just too high an asking price beyond what that pen design is worth. I'd probably find it difficult to swallow that price for a traditional Vanishing Point except for the raden models (OK, and the 50th Anniversary edition with the maple barrel, which I have but 'dare' not use).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Being a limited edition aside, considering there is no raden, maki-e or 'precious' wood involved in the making of the barrel, I personally think that A$315 (plus tax, whether that's 8% domestic consumption tax or 10% Australian GST) for a Pilot Capless Decimo is just too high an asking price beyond what that pen design is worth. I'd probably find it difficult to swallow that price for a traditional Vanishing Point except for the raden models (OK, and the 50th Anniversary edition with the maple barrel, which I have but 'dare' not use).

I tend to agree. The Eboya I thought was a decent price considering it was around $460 U.S. after the tax deduction for a 1 of 15 pen.

The Eboya I thought was a decent price considering it was around $460 U.S. after the tax deduction for a 1 of 15 pen.

Yep, I'd say, "Score!" :)