The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Is The Name Of This Watermans

waterman nibs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fernando77

Fernando77

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2019 - 23:20

Hello,

Does anyone know what year this pen was manufactured?   Would like to know whether Ideal nibs came with round breathers as opposed to heart shaped breathers.   I purchased this pen from the internet.

While the seller's flexing  examplar shows flexing, I was not able to get as much flex when I wrote with the pen.  I did not want to spring the nib.  Also, the pen was listed as a super flex (see writing examplar attached) but it has virtually no bounce.  I would say it is a semi flex like a 344 Montblanc, or a No. 2 Eversharp Skyline.   Any other information on this set will be greatly appreciated.  I am aware that "flexing" is very subjective 

and depends on the pressure applied.  However, I don't think this is a super flex.  I decided to keep the pen because it  has been very well maintained, and was recently serviced, as per the seller.  The nib

is very smooth and lays down  plenty of ink.  The nib is approximately 3/4 of an inch.  It says Watermans and has the word IDEAL right under the Watermans, and it has a 14K stamp underneath the word

IDEAL.  The shoulders wrap around the nib and the feeder is smooth.  The seller advertised it as a No. 4.   Along the barrel are the words Waterman's Made in Canada and the third line reads:  Fountain

Pen.  The clip has the word Watermans stamped on it.  The top of the clip has  a smooth round gold colored circle.  The bottom tip has 5 circles within circles in sequential sizes.  It has its original hard leatherette

case, dark blue with a gold cloth lining in the interior.  The pen and pencil set rest on a ribbed pattern gold satin type material.  The set is held in place by two elastic small bands.  In the upper inside cover,

it has the words "Waterman's" in a Times Roman font with tilted as.   The cap also reads:  Watermans  Manufactured in Canada.The colors are very vibrant and very rich.  The pattern has various double

lines which give the optical ellusion that they are indented, but in reality the pen is very smooth both on the barrel and cap.   Not sure whether this set is a Lady Patricia.  The Lady Patricia sets circa 1930 have

different clips and the ones that I have seen on the internet have a silver globe looking insert on the cap.   Again, any and all information will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Fernando77

Attached Images

• watermanflex.jpg
  • watermanset.png

Sponsored Content

#2 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 18:34

I can't help you with identifying this pen but it is a beautiful green and you have beautiful handwriting to go with it!

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#3 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 19:07

I'd guess, from the clip design, that it's from the 1940's, possible early 40's because there is a box round the lever.  Don't know which I like more the pen set or your writing sample. :notworthy1:

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,853 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 19:27

Waterman  W5 Canadian made  Catalog {1947} number "555" 

Fred

#5 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2019 - 19:38

I was just going to correct my post Fred, you beat me to it.  However, I looked in the 1947 catalogue and it doesn't list green as one of the colours available, but I now think it's not an early 40's pen. Later ones have lever boxes too.

#6 Fernando77

Fernando77

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:40

Thank you Pen Lady, Freddy and Sinistral1, for all your comments and observations.  I measured the pen and it is 5 and 1/16 inches.  This leads me to believe, coupled with Freddy's reference to the 1047 catalogue, that my pen is a 555.

What I found to be interesting is the fact that the nib has a round hole breather.  Most of the Watermans that I have seen for sale have heart shaped breathers.  I wonder if the heartshaped breathers have more flex.  My pen flexes

but I would not say it is a super flex.  Freddy, do you know where I can access the 1947 catalogue for future reference?   Thank you all again.  Fernando77.  

#7 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,853 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2019 - 19:17

Thank you Pen Lady, Freddy and Sinistral1, for all your comments and observations.  I measured the pen and it is 5 and 1/16 inches.  This leads me to believe, coupled with Freddy's reference to the 1047 catalogue, that my pen is a 555.

What I found to be interesting is the fact that the nib has a round hole breather.  Most of the Watermans that I have seen for sale have heart shaped breathers.  I wonder if the heartshaped breathers have more flex.  My pen flexes

but I would not say it is a super flex.  Freddy, do you know where I can access the 1947 catalogue for future reference?   Thank you all again.  Fernando77.  

do you know where I can access the 1947 catalogue for future reference?   Thank you.......

Fernando..

Waterman's Fountain Pen Catalog{s} 1890-1947

https://archive.org/...tainPenCatalogs

Fred

Edited by Freddy, 11 March 2019 - 19:19.

#8 pkotrcka

pkotrcka

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:12

I got this in red-black and yes, it looks like 555, there are similar pens, but usually the number and/or size of the bands on the cap is different. canadian watermans, a lovely pen

... I believe in purple ink

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, nibs

Sponsored Content

|