Understated Fountain Pens For Everyday Carry (Edc)

tpacavalcante

Hello guys!

My name is Thiago and I'm 30 years old. I'm teacher but still a very casual style guy. I love fountain pens and I'm looking for good suggestion of some to use in daily basis to be my everyday carry. I prefer understated desings to avoid to draw attention.

So guys, what fountain pens could you suggest to me? Thanks a lot!

I'm relative new to the hobby and, of course, I started with these beauty (Lamy Safari and Pilot Metropolitan)

post-148191-0-62288700-1551729494_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Houston

• A Smug Dill

• tpacavalcante

• Taverius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't get much more "understated" than the typical hooded nib, so something like the Parker 51, or of course the many eastern pens it inspired such as the Jinhao 51A.

Parker-51-Fountain-Pen-Cocoa-Tan.jpg

Personally I love my Sheaffer 440.

img57333064.jpg

I recently brought up the Lamy Aion in another thread, and I'm just going to mention it again because it it's on my mind and I think it meets your criteria.

lamy-aion-pens-jasper-morrison-thinking-

(Photos shamelessly stolen off the internet).

Edited by SoulSamurai

Wow!

I didn't know the Lamy Aion... I really like it! Is it made of metal or some plastic material?

I agree about the hooded nib...I'm planning buy the Lamy 2k as well!

Thanks SoulSamurai!

Lamy 2000 *DEFINES* Understated with it's minimalist Bauhaus inspired design...

When capped, it resembles a felt-tip marker, uncapped and/or posted, it's subtle classiness shines, it doesnt *scream* "LOOK AT ME!!"

it's a great, understated sleeper

Blue Platinum Procyon is another good one.

Montegrappa Parola, especially the all black Stealth.

Pilot Justus and Falcon and Custom Heritage 912.

Sailor 1911 Young.

My choices:

-Sheaffer Balance (you can find them restored for good enough prices)

-Kaweco Sport

-Anything not too extravagant by Jinhao

-Pilot VP/Decimo

-Any Sailor 1911 small (the large is not understated enough)

-Maybe a Pelikan M200

Hopefully you find the right pen!

I really like the springy regular flex nib of a Pelikan 200 a piston filler, (just like the springy regular flex '82-97 era nibs of the 400/then small 600); half a width narrower than modern Pelikan nibs) , and that you can buy other nib widths for it. The nib and feed screw out.

Can get a black one, but there are many pretty ones.....(sometimes understated can be too understated....but for security reasons, black and gold can be had.)

Used as good as new.

Springy regular flex...was once the normal issue nib for some fountain pens in semi-vintage and vintage eras. Delivers a nice clean line....good comfortable ride.

Good for this lifetime and half the next.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks guys!

I think I kind of preffer the plastic or ebonite ones...Because of the light weight and the look.

What do you think about the indian brands (Lotus, Asa, Ranga, etc)?

I came across with the Lotus Shikhar...

shikhar-1-500x500.jpg

The most understated vintage pen is probably the Waterman 52 with the nickel-plated clip and lever box. It’s essentially a small expensive brownish rod. Uncapped, it’ll write like a monster.

Thanks guys!

I think I kind of preffer the plastic or ebonite ones...Because of the light weight and the look.

What do you think about the indian brands (Lotus, Asa, Ranga, etc)?

I came across with the Lotus Shikhar...

shikhar-1-500x500.jpg

The Shikhar, literal meaning Pinnacle (or Peak of a mountain), is a wonderful pen. Be aware that is a large pen. You can get it with Jowo, Bock or Kanwrite nibs.

One word of advice - get the chrome clip instead of the black coated one - more durable

Edited by deepak23

A lifelong FP user...

Understated? I'm not sure a pen could be more understated and as elegant in its simplicity as a Ranga in plain black. It epitomizes shibumi. This model is the 3C. As an eyedropper, it holds an impressive 4ml.

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

Lamy 2000 *DEFINES* Understated with it's minimalist Bauhaus inspired design...

When capped, it resembles a felt-tip marker, uncapped and/or posted, it's subtle classiness shines, it doesnt *scream* "LOOK AT ME!!"

it's a great, understated sleeper

Hi Thiago,

I'll second and third Mac's advice... the L2K has been my edc for years... well, two. :)

- Anthony

I think your Safari and Metropolitan are already very good choices, it also depends on what's available to you and the maximum you want to spend; a few more options from less to more expensive:

Muji Aluminium, you can find these for about $15 USD, nice looking, comfortable, smooth and reliable.

Lamy Studio, the steel version is an easy choice, you might need to get handy with sandpaper for the others like I had to (shiny, slippery chrome sections that look really good). Same nib as the Safari but somehow smoother.

Faber Castell Ambition, I have the pearwood which is very good looking in a modern, subdued way, $50 (black model) - $100 USD.

Pelikan m205 (rhodium trim) in black, clear, clear blue, clear green...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Lamy 2000 is first on the list.

Another pen that IMHO writes good and feels nice is the Kaweco Dia 2. It uses international cartridges, so easy maintenance is ensued and cartridges are readily available anywhere.

Lamy Aion is as reliable as any Lamy (the nib in mine is one of my smoothest besides my L2k) but it is all metal construction and feels cold to the touch when you start using it and the section is thicker than the safari and the metropolitan.

I prefer understated desings to avoid to draw attention.

But then, a relevant question is, what draws unwanted attention (and from whom)?

I'm relative new to the hobby and, of course, I started with these beauty (Lamy Safari and Pilot Metropolitan)

That's actually a Pilot MR Retro Pop you got there, instead of a Pilot MR Metropolitan which comes in plain colours without the crazy decorative band.

If the use of a fountain pen (that is readily identifiable as such) draws unwanted attention in your circles, then something like a matte black Pilot Capless Vanishing Point (1.) does not have a very visible nib, but (2.) has an unusual click-button mechanism similar to that on many ballpoint pen models for extending and retracting the nib, thus making it more stealthy as a fountain pen, and (3.) is a great writing instrument in its own right.

If the identifiable shape of the fountain pen nib does not matter, then a Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black — with a black ruthenium-plated 21K gold nib — is lightweight and relatively short (capped and/or with cap removed), but is several grades up from the Lamy Safari 2018SE All Black as a writing instrument. Alternatively, many of the Japanese fountain pens with 'precious' wood caps and barrels, e.g. Platinum #3776 briar (available in three different colours/finishes) and Pilot Custom Kaede models, are still lightweight and don't look particularly expensive or 'out there' than any number of wooden barrelled pens you could probably buy from the local crafts markets.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

As another poster said, it really comes down to how much you want to spend. The good news is that there are understated pens in pretty much every price category. So many pens come in a classic, relatively undifferentiated cigar shape, and almost always with a black colour option, you really are spoiled for choice.

Were it me, I'd go for one of the minimalistic Platinums, Pilots, or Sailors. Reason: Lots of nib options. But this presumes you're willing to be in that price range -- which, depending on model, isn't going to be too far off from the Lamy 2k.

Despite the very strong bank of suggestions provided to you, here, I suspect/speculate a couple of things:

1. You may want something at a lower price point. I'm basing this on your current pens. But, then, the Lotus you asked about is getting up close to the range of the 2k, so I'm happy to be wrong. If you tell us how much you want to spend, this very kind cabal will zero in on suggestions that hit your wallet just that hard.

2. You may not want to deal with a vintage pen, no matter how reliable, both because it's more difficult to get one in Brazil, and you may not want to use a vintage pen in a school environment. This is all entirely reasonable, but if you're intrigued about vintage pens, there are some that might still be worth considering. I'm thinking of the Parker 51, which is a legendary workhorse, especially the aerometric version, and the epitome of understated style. (SoulSamarai posted a pic, above.)

Happy deliberations!

I am with you. As much as I love my Platinum 3776 its blue/gold and very flashy. So I carry a Lamy 2k and a matte black Pilot vanishing point. I work in automotive and don't want people thinking I have money. (people see gold and automatically think money)

The black & gold Platinum #3776 is not austentacious and has the benefit of slip & seal. As a teaching myself, the Platinum ink is very good for most papers - it dried quickly - so if you are using it for marking random pieces of paper, then the #3776 is a good choice. If you have a more modest budget, the Platinum Plasir is a decent choice too - and is a tenth of the price of a #3776.

The Lamy 2K is also a great choice - but is wetter than the Platinum, in my experience - which means it takes longer fo r the ink to dry. You may get smears with a heavy duty marking session.

The Parker 45 with a fine nib is a good choice too. A robust, clean writer which can be had for less than 330 with a gold nib to boot.