Suggestions For Multipen With Mechanical Pencil And/or Highlighter?

r3nekton

Hi All,

Topic title gives the gist of what I'm after. I use fountain pens a lot, but sometimes it's not the right tool for the job. I do have some nice ballpoints and mechnical pencils, but I rarely carry them with me because I try to limit my pocket/bag clutter. So, when I'm at my desk at home, I have everything I need, but that doesn't help when I'm out and about - which, frankly, is often when I find myself in situations where such tools would be useful.

So I've decided that I can probably find space for one more pen in my pocket/pouch for everyday carry, and am hoping to find a multipen which will manage to fulfill at least some of the functions that my fountain pens don't. Ideally I want something that can "highlight" - I know I won't be able to get a true highlighter in such a small package - and have a mechanical pencil, plus at least one ballpoint. My tastes run to relatively simple designs, but functional - my pens are all well made, but generally don't scream glitz and glamour. They're made to be used, and they do the job well.

Any suggestions? I don't have a budget in mind here - if I see a pen I like, which fits what I need, then money will be found somehow.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• WarrenB

• r3nekton

• hinky

SKILKRAFT B3 Aviator. I haven't used it, but I see it mentioned favorably here and there. Doesn't meet the highlighter desire, but might otherwise be something you could use.

- Ira

Maybe try the Pilot Hi-Tec-C Coleto 1000. It's customizable and you can buy a mechanical pencil component for it. The refills come in a bunch of colors, with bright ones that might be used for highlighting (more of underlining).

If you want more ideas, go here:

https://www.jetpens.com/Multi-Pens/ct/91

There's a lot of options for pens and refills. When you pick a pen, there's a link in the description for compatible refills and components.

Good luck with your search! 😁

Hi, my favourite multi-pen which comes with a pencil is my Sailor Professional Gear in Imperial Black - a solid, quality pen which comes with Blue, Black, Red and a 0.5mm Pencil, it also has an eraser in the top. I also know that Bic produce a similar pen (but with a 0.7mm pencil) for about £3 her in the UK or on Amazon.

Love the Sailor though...

Hi, my favourite multi-pen which comes with a pencil is my Sailor Professional Gear in Imperial Black - a solid, quality pen which comes with Blue, Black, Red and a 0.5mm Pencil, it also has an eraser in the top. I also know that Bic produce a similar pen (but with a 0.7mm pencil) for about £3 her in the UK or on Amazon.

Love the Sailor though...

I like the Sailor Professional Gear, but can't find anywhere that sells it anymore :(

rOtring Trio is excellent. Typically there is 2 ballpoints and 1 mechanical pencil. The ballpoints are blue/black or red. You could use the red for highlighting. The refills are D1 type. You can find D1's in other colors like green. Parker makes a D1 in orange (Amazon link).

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

I like the Sailor Professional Gear, but can't find anywhere that sells it anymore :(

amazon US has it for 40 bucks.

Can the sailor pro gear multipen refills be swapped for ultrafine refills?

Looks like it uses a standard D1. I think that pen might actually make a good addition to my pen case for school. Picked one up.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I ordered a sailor pro gear multipen. I really hate the ballpoint fills in it. Pale and unappealing and hard and just bleh. I thought the pilot Hi Tec C refills were D1 so I ordered a big pack and boooooo - now I have to order a $3 body for it and give those to my wife.

I ordered some zebra gel d1's for it from jetpens (whom I'm likely never doing business with again - appalling customer service) and did some digging on erasers for it - can't find anything from sailor, likely since this is a JDM only pen, but after some looking around, the eraser fill for a rotring 600 fits the collar in the sailor's eraser perfectly. Only downside is that I can't really use the metal collar of the rotring eraser. it fits, but is quite tight, and requires tweezers to remove, so I don't really have much of a solution if I ever lose the sailor collar. Emailed sailor UK to see if they had a source on erasers, but for the time being, I think I'm okay.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

I also know that Bic produce a similar pen (but with a 0.7mm pencil) for about £3 her in the UK or on Amazon..

Aw, here I am with a 0.5mm Style Fit, moaning that 0.7mm Zebra whatchamacallits aren't available here, and this thing was under my nose the whole time.

(For the purposes of the topic: not too many complaints with the former - Uni-Ball Style Fit - except maybe the buttons can take a couple of clicks to stay down)

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

Got a Bic 3+1 today, and a hour later it's in bits in my bin. I had the idea of getting two more and sticking three pencil inserts in one pen, two with red and blue leads, so I took it apart. The hope was a bit premature - the holes for the ink inserts are about 3mm diameter, while the pencil insert is closer to 3.5. And then the ink refills wouldn't go back in. The blue snapped in two due to the pressure I had to apply, and the mechanisms for the black and red became slack and useless. I chopped it open and found the attachmrnt pegs broken and the springs hopelessly tangled.

Ho hum.

Silver lining is that the Bic pencil insert is a slightly better fit for the Style Fit. Still a bit too snug, but with a bit of tinkering it might be cheaper and more convenient than a Sharbo or Prefill.

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

I recently bought a Lamy Logo twin pen, which has a 0.5mm mechanical pencil and a ballpoint. Does not look out of place with a suit. On the other hand, I would not take it with me into the woods (but then I usually have enough pockets for several pens!). I’m not super impressed with the ballpoint — it has an annoying tendency not to start — but it is supposedly a standard "D1" refill so there are quite a few options. Pencil works fine, as far as can be told after just a few weeks.