The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Closed - Ranga Handmade Pens- Solid Ebonite Colours Group Buy- Bock Titanium Nibs Available

ranga ebonite india handmade kandan pandurangan bock jowo schmide solid colours

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#61 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 21:53

Payment sent (now to find out what is taking Blue Cross so long to process my medical premium payment)

First, order pen.  Then, deal with healthcare.  You've certainly got your priorities straight. :thumbup:

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

Sponsored Content

#62 Stu L

Stu L

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 19:12

Form submitted and paid 😊
Super excited to try my first Ranga!

Edited by Stu L, 19 March 2019 - 20:16.

#63 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 22:08

Is your 4C matte in the section and polished on the body?

Sorry for not replying earlier, was traveling on business...

no, it's bakull all over...the red black ripple is one of the nicest colours in bakul, olive black is also a favourite

Edited by sansenri, 19 March 2019 - 22:21.

#64 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 22:12

That left-most pen and the Emperor look like they have thicker sections than the others relatively speaking.

That may be slightly, although forgive as this is a quick pic with a smartphone, I fear the lens may be distorting a bit on the edges and causing the 3C section to look wider...

while the Emperor section is slightly wider than the model 3, yes.

#65 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2019 - 22:20

I wonder if it depends on the individual pen, because my 3c section gets really narrow, unlike sanseri's 3C in the picture.

Which of those is your favorite sanseri?

I'm partial to model 3 and 3C, due to the overall shape of the pen, very simple and without steps, and which suits my hand best for size.

8B is just as nice, even more comfortable if possible.
In terms of finishes/colours they are all really nice (and not all my Rangas are in the picture...) some of the premium ebonite show some fantastic colours, while some of the ripples are really classic Indian, particularly in bakul.

#66 Dupontdelamare

Dupontdelamare

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2019 - 13:06

I have more or less decided on the standard bamboo in army green, probably polished (as I suppose that it is more bamboo like, although I do like bakul texture?); but I am hesitating over the nib options. Does anyone have experience with the Bock fine Titanium compared to the steel Bock or the Kanwrite fine flex? (Although the flex is small in the Kanwrite, I prefer it over the ordinary Kanwrite fine or the broad which seem very very stiff). However, I read that the regular steel Bock fines (which are more supple than JoWo steel fines) are almost as flexible as the Titanium ones, and I also read contradictory reports on the wetness of Titanium nibs: some say they are rather dry, because of their surface roughness, while others that they are very wet (in particular the broad), because of their flexibility. What advantage (or disadvantage) might the Titanium nib bring over the Bock steel or the Kanwrite flex?
Thank you for any thoughts.
Regards
Dupontdelamare

Edited by Dupontdelamare, 21 March 2019 - 16:22.

#67 Dupontdelamare

Dupontdelamare

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:41

I'm partial to model 3 and 3C, due to the overall shape of the pen, very simple and without steps, and which suits my hand best for size.
8B is just as nice, even more comfortable if possible.
In terms of finishes/colours they are all really nice (and not all my Rangas are in the picture...) some of the premium ebonite show some fantastic colours, while some of the ripples are really classic Indian, particularly in bakul.

Thank you Sansenri for your informed comments, indeed the 8B does seem ideal in weight and balance in the hand, with its hourglass section and absence of step-up, and with a bakul finish so tactile, although as you say premium ebonites can be beautiful. I have nevertheless (with some trepidation) ordered and received a standard size 9B which has more or less the same section as the 8B, but with the step up similar to the 4C. I have not yet inked it up, but the 8B style hourglass section makes me hold the pen fairly far forward away from the step up, and so it seems less of a problem than I expected. I do notice more weight to the rear as the body is thicker and also its premium ebonite is more dense than regular bakul, but this I hope may give a little more control over my slightly wild writing. However, I will report more on this when I have inked it up, at present its Blue/Pink/Pale Yellow Swirl (P14) has me hesitating about the choice of ink colour.
Regards
Dupontdelamare

#68 flyingpenman

flyingpenman

We see in a mirror dimly...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2019 - 20:39

At the endorsement/encouragement of others, I just placed an order! Nothing like peer pressure...

I ordered a Model 3 in S27 Sacramento Teal, bakul finish, with chrome clip and chrome steel monotone 1.5 Jowo nib unit and converter. Will send PayPal as soon as I get the notification!

I am very excited to get my first Ranga, first ebonite pen, and first Indian-made pen all at once. Thank you Ranga pens!

Edited by flyingpenman, 24 March 2019 - 01:35.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.
~C.S. Lewis
--------------
Current Rotation:
Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>
Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

#69 geodesigner

geodesigner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2019 - 15:22

Form submitted! Olive green ebonite, yay!

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall

#70 bmillicent

bmillicent

Curious Cuddly Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 23:47

Didn't know olive green was even an option in this group buy - oh well, will get it next buy :)

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

#71 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:33

For anyone who's ordered the Golden Brown and who likes to match pen and ink colours, KWZ Honey is just perfect

#72 hack

hack

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 17:30

Order placed and paid for. I'm a massive fan or your pens! Can't wait to try the titanium nibs!

#73 bmillicent

bmillicent

Curious Cuddly Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 23:29

Wondering if any pens were completed and shipped?

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

#74 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2019 - 00:56

Wondering if any pens were completed and shipped?

Considering this group buy was announced the first week of March, and my confirmation email states "5 weeks from the payment date", I'd think there may be at least another week to go before the first pens ship (and thence to the Limbo of US Customs <G> )

I'm not expecting to hear anything about mine until the end of April.

#75 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:11

Requested a red model 3 in matte with no nib & threaded for Bock nib units

#76 Ebonny

Ebonny

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2019 - 21:29

Form Submitted: Clip model 4, S27 Solid Sacramento Green/Teal, Polished, Bock Black Extra Fine.

Edited by Ebonny, 03 April 2019 - 21:31.

#77 Timeline

Timeline

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:38

Form submitted

LetterExchange.png

#78 Timeline

Timeline

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2019 - 19:39

PAYMENT SENT

LetterExchange.png

#79 Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:19

Form submitted. 3C in #29 (military green) as eyedropper. Requested shorter body & cap.

Lux In Obscuro Sumus

#80 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 15:43

Considering this group buy was announced the first week of March, and my confirmation email states "5 weeks from the payment date", I'd think there may be at least another week to go before the first pens ship (and thence to the Limbo of US Customs <G> )

I'm not expecting to hear anything about mine until the end of April.

I paid for my two on 5th March, so I'm hoping they'll be hitting the outgoing mail early next week.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranga, ebonite, india, handmade, kandan, pandurangan, bock, jowo, schmide, solid colours

Sponsored Content

|