The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pen Club, Reading Berkshire And Maybe Oxford.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:47

Having had a lovely time at the London Pen Club yesterday (thank you everyone), there were suggestions that maybe there might be an opening for a fountain pen club in Reading, Berkshire UK. However, I'm not exactly sure how many FP enthusiasts there are in Reading. 

Brewdog will give us a space on Sunday morning for free (and young persons are allowed in until 6pm).

So, I'm thinking of having an inaugural meeting at Brewdog, Reading on Sunday 14th April from 11.30-2pm. Drop in and drop out when you can. It might be a single meeting, or a lead in to a regular meeting/bi-monthly meeting. 

Is anyone up for it? Let me know, and then I'll have a rough idea about the amount of space to book. 

As for the Oxford bit, I'm not sure of the numbers - I thought it might be nice to have a club running on alternative months - one in Reading, and another in Oxford. The two conurbations are not too far apart (20 minute train ride) and sharing a club might half the work load & publicity. 

Edited by sandy101, 03 March 2019 - 13:21.

Sponsored Content

#2 stylographile

stylographile

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 16:29

Good luck! Hope we'll still see you at the London pen club meet-ups !

#3 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2019 - 16:43

Oh, yes, I'll be in London in May - April is looking 50/50 at the minute, but if you fancy a trip out of the big smoke, you can always pay us a visit in Reading.

#4 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:14

Just a reminder that the Meet-up in Reading is two weeks away. 

A table's been booked at Brewdog, Castle Street, Reading - they know we're coming. 

Sunday 14ht April Start 11.30 and running till 2pm. 

Edited by sandy101, 31 March 2019 - 08:18.

#5 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:29

Pen meeting - Brewdog, Castle Street - Reading tomorrow (Sunday 14th) 11.30-2.pm

A table is booked. 

Whether this goes to a regular meet-up will be discussed on the day. 

Sandy.

#6 nepniatnouf

nepniatnouf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2019 - 13:58

Enjoy the meeting in Reading tomorrow!

I'll wait for one in Oxford, someday.

#7 inkyreflections

inkyreflections

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2019 - 22:08

Hope everyone enjoyed the pen meet earlier today. I'd be interested if there is another one or one in Oxford.

#8 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:45

So, the Reading Fountain pen meet-up happened yesterday.

Thank you to everyone who came along - it was a pleasure meeting you all - and to get acquainted with so many pens in such a short space of time.

I think there was a general agreement that there was not enough people attending to make it a regular event - especially with the Fleet & London pen clubs so close by.

I would recommend folk try and attend or arrange an FP meet-up for their locality. It does give everyone an opportunity to share their experiences and discuss pens, inks, paper - and writing Certainly with the decline of B&M stores it is a great way to pool resources and experience a variety of pens, inks & paper.

Sandy.

#9 dapprman

dapprman

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 22:15

I think this could possibly work quarterly, and if the Fleet meet had not started up last summer then could be larger (or if that were to move further south - unlikely now).

For those interested this is the Face Book group for the Fleet/Southern England group.

#10 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2019 - 19:55

Thinking of maybe having a 2nd Fountain pen meet up in Reading on the week-end of 26th and 27th October.

I'm thinking of the same time - noon till 2.30. It might be a pre-fountain pen day meet-up. 

Now, it comes to the choice of venue. Nowhere within a square mile of Reading station has car parking. 

Brewdog gave us a space for free, it's big enough and accessible. if lots of people turn up -we can get a bigger table and the beer is rather good. I'm perfectly happy to meet there again. Saturday is busier - so they'd rather have us in on Sunday.

The easiest venue, if folk want car parking, in my mind is The Hope & Bear which is on the A4. It is a mile walk from Reading station - and is on the no 17 bus route - the stop is indeed Cemetery Junction. There is a small pay & display car park next to the pub, but customers get the parking deducted from their bill. The space isn't as flexible - and Saturday would be better to avoid the Sunday lunch crowd. 

So, this venue would benefit drivers, but inconvenience those coming from outside of Reading by public transport. Most Readingensians, I assume will be able to find the place on the good 'ol no 17.

I'm not looking for folk to commit right now, but is there any enthusiasm for another meet up. The decision probably won't please everyone - but we've got two options. 

Saturday 26th October, The Hope & Bear, 153 London Rd, Reading

or

Sunday 27th Brewdog, Castle Street, Reading which is in the town centre.

Any thoughts?

https://www.hopeandbearreading.co.uk/

https://www.brewdog....rewdog-reading/

Edited by sandy101, 27 April 2019 - 19:59.

#11 Catullus

Catullus

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2019 - 14:35

Hi there, all. I see theres been some discussion about looking into meeting up in Oxford sometime. Id be up for that if theres still interest. I should be around in the latter half of August, if theres any take up.

#12 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2019 - 00:55

The next Reading fountain meet up is a mere two weeks away. 

Starts at noon at Brewdog, Castle Street on Sunday October 27th.

#13 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:58

Only a week to go till the 2nd Reading Fountain pen meet up from noon onwards.

The bar is not far from Reading Station and the No. 17 bus route. It opens at 11am. Children are welcome until 8pm, and dogs are permitted.

Please come join us. 

#14 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 22:09

Pen mett up is tomorrow. Remember the clocks go back tomorrow. I'll be there from 11.30.

#15 dascott

dascott

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2019 - 10:14

I'm in Oxford and would also be keen to come to the next Reading event.  Can you keep me posted on this forum. Thanks

Sponsored Content

|